FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What do you do with friends under 18 at night, in the winter, without spending money?

Author Topic: What do you do with friends under 18 at night, in the winter, without spending money?
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
More specifically, if you live in a town of about 30,000.

And you're sick of playing video games and there's no interesting place to just drive around in.

Your answer is much appreciated.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Play 500.

Rules. Use the Australian ones.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
one joker, also called the bird, because in the Australian 500 pack it depicts a Kookaburra instead of a Jester.
That is too cool.

[ January 28, 2005, 03:21 AM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flyby
Member # 3630

- posted      Profile for flyby   Email flyby         Edit/Delete Post 
A fun thing that I did the other day was we pretended that we had been kidnapped, and set up all these notes leading our friends to this place that we had hidden. Scavenger hunts are also fun. Even just dancing around your living room to music can be fun.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
CARD GAMES.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Watch a movie (one you already own to save money). Mock it mercilessly a la MST3k.

Flashlight tag, capture the flag, or other fun outdoors activity.

Do a craft, like origami or a mural on a large sheet of paper.

Build structures out of marshmallows and toothpicks.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Play some music.

Massive jam session. Who cares if someone is using a trashcan as a drum?

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Get one of those mystery puzzles.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Madlibs, truth or dare, board games -- find some Cheapass games if you don't have much money or any games at home. Competative storytelling (when one person pauses for five seconds or more, the next person can jump in) or create a story by having each person do a sentence in turn...
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
30,000? That’s a small town? Oh wait…. I’m coming from the WV idea of small towns. So…. Let’s see, since every where you go here, except maybe for Charleston and Morgantown when WVU is in session, are smaller then that.
Around here there’s always the malls.
Basketball seems to be pretty big.
Cow tipping. Oh wait…. Sorry, had to throw that in.
Bowling.
Movies.
Sports events.
Church groups.
Did I say cow tipping? Dang… not supposed to talk about that, I keep forgetting.
And if you’re really looking for something there’s always some kind of community service things going on to get involved in and believe me, you won’t get bored there!
Heck, just find something you all enjoy doing together and do it. Get out of the house and have fun.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Oops.. you said without spending $$.
So that takes off movies and bowling really, unless you have a contact of course!

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope that one of them has an XBox and Halo 2.

Your problems will be sorted.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
It might require spending money but if you can find a willing parent probably not. Get all your friends together, and make a bunch of desserts or cookies, or even a whole meal. Everyone getting in the act and involved is fun. Have each person responsible for a difference recipe or part of the production line. Snickerdoodles need to be rolled in balls and then coated in cinnamons sugar, peanutbutter cookies need to be smashed flat with a fork, etc, etc.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Find yourself a cause-- and do something about it!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Climb up on the roof of someone's house and just talk (wear coats if it's that cold, not sure what it's like in AZ right now).

Walk the railroad tracks, then when you realize it's almost your curfew, call your friends to take you back to your car.

Bake cookies.

Take turns reading a book, like you each read a paragraph.

Well most of those were coming from the perspective of a girl, who's now 19, but they could work.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
well lessee, I grew up in a town of about 30,000 and when I was a teenager... lessee.. board games... mild mischief... D&D... Watched movies on our VCR (I'm old)... Think most of these have been mentioned.

How about inventing a game? Or if one of your friends has a video camera, making a movie (My friends and I did that in HS. Even got shown on local TV a coupla times.) It's prolly even easier now if you use a digital video camera. You don't have to borrow the local public access staton's expensive editing equipment.

You could make boffer weapons and swordfight if you're feeling less creative and more agressive.

You could go to the local elementry school/park and play basketball or tennis if you're the least bit athletic.

There's a million things to do in a small town!

Pix

(edit: deleted two things that had been already mentioned. dang. I really should read suggesting threads before adding my own)

[ January 28, 2005, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: The Pixiest ]

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
A progressive dinner can be a lot of fun for a group of young people to plan. Break up into groups and make sure that the people whose houses get volunteered don't have to do all the work, since they're hosting.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter
Member # 4373

- posted      Profile for Peter   Email Peter         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay,

ya ever played cow bingo? i prefer it to cow tipping, it takes longer though.

Posts: 283 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

I have never heard of cow bingo. Wow , guess I had a sheltered childhood!
http://www.abcnews4.com/news/stories/0105/200331.html

http://newswww.bbc.net.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4193723.stm
'Cowpat Roulette'
Back in Germany, Sueddeutsche Zeitung reports that a complaint has been filed over possible psychological damage being inflicted on cows by a new kind of gambling which is spreading fast in the south-western state of Baden-Wuerttemberg.
The game is called "Cow Bingo" or "Cowpat Roulette" and all it requires is a field divided into numbered squares - and a cow - it explains.
Spectators bet on their chosen numbers, the cow is led into the field, and the winner is the player who picks the square where Daisy deposits the first cowpat.
But the local agriculture department is pondering whether Cow Bingo "offends the dignity of ruminants", the paper says.
"At the current stage of scientific knowledge," it quotes a ministry official as saying, "there is no way of accurately determining a cow's feelings as it does its business in front of a large and possibly cheering crowd".

And if PETA is against it, I’m probably all for it!
http://www.animalrights.net/archives/year/2002/000056.html

Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
"Walk the railroad tracks"

ummm... I'd suggest -not- doing that. Plenty of people die every year doing so. It's up there with playing chicken with a truck in my opinion...

Beg parent's for money to go do stuff [Wink]

We used to play board games, video games, watch movies, cook/bake stuff, just talk/chit chat, card games (poker and eucere mainly), ummm... I think all those things have been mentioned.

We once all contributed one item from our fridge/cupboard at home that our parents let us take and tried to make something out of it to eat... that wasn't the smartest idea we ever had though [Wink]

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Create a hobby website dedicated to something you love. And then sign up as Amazon/Ebay affiliates to make some money off the website. It is fun, you learn something, you can make a little cash, and if the site is good enough you can put it on your resume.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, 30,000 isn't a small town, it's a regular-sized suburb.

My mom grew up in a town that had 99 people. Since then it's burgeoned to 199. WOW WOW.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.