FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Rant & Rave

Author Topic: Rant & Rave
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I worked today from 4PM to 6:30, which is a strange shift, in that our shifts are usually solid four-hour blocks. (Except weekends, which are 6-hour blocks) I assumed that the scheduler had given from 6:30 on because I worked again in the morning at 6:00 AM. I figured she was giving me a wide berth to get some rest or something.

Ha ha. Turns out I was wrong. Instead of her giving me a large block of time, she was giving me an only slightly larger one, since I work at midnight. Tonight. Which gives me about five hours to get some sleep, eat some dinner and relax.

The entire way home I was wishing there was someone to give me a hug and rage on my behalf. Could you guys be kind enough to do that for me? I'm just going to be crying...

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Ryuko))))) Oh, blech. That so sucks! (((((Ryuko)))))
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
awww
*hug*
There there.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs*

Do you want me to beat them with my baseball bat?? *pulls a baseball bat out from behind his back* I mean I can if you want me too? Or I could just give them a good cussing.....which would you prefer??

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It owuld have been easier to just work straight through, but she probably doesn't want to pay overtime. [Frown]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

No, she wouldn't have to pay overtime, it's just illegal in our state to work more than 12 hours at a stretch. That would be 14.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
What a jerk! I'd give her a (polite) piece of my mind if I were there. (((hug)))
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

I don't think it's her fault. It's more my co-worker's faults for not turning in their availability forms, and being irresponsible. She's trying her best, as much as she often frustrates me.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

And now I can't sleep.

(kills things)

Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you do that you have to be there at midnight? Those are some crazy hours.

I need to rant about my work schedule, too. This week I switched positions at the grocery store I work at, from a supervisor on the front end to a pricing coordinator. The darn front end manager decided to schedule me anyway, for three days. I had to work in pricing for the other four days, giving me a total of 64 hours for the week. This is in addition to my three nights of classes. The overtime will be nice, but man am I exhausted!

[ January 29, 2005, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: Jeni ]

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Holy smokes! That sucks Jeni! I mean, I certainly hope it won't happen again... But at least you have a new position. Is it better than the other?

As for me, I work at the security desk at my school, and it's necessary to have someone here 24 hours a day. I had completely forgotten that I could possibly work midnight shifts, since I usually have them x-ed out... I worked them all summer and it wreaked havok on my body... [Frown]

But here I am at work, alive and with no preparatory sleep... But I think I'll live.

pseudo-hobbit
Member # 7269

- posted      Profile for pseudo-hobbit   Email pseudo-hobbit         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Abby)))

That sucks. Stupid schedule. Stupid people not turning in their availability sheets. [Grumble]

If it makes you feel any better, I greased 200 pizza pans today with a nozzle that sprayed oil all up my arms every other squirt. Hope you get a good sleep when you get off work.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Baybee!! Do you have the internets now??

[Big Grin]

[ January 29, 2005, 03:08 AM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

pseudo-hobbit
Member # 7269

- posted      Profile for pseudo-hobbit   Email pseudo-hobbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep! It's all fast and awesome. It's...so beautiful...
And I finished my paper! Tis a night of victories.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Yay-ness! As for me, I'm trying to draw but having difficulties finding halfway decent source pictures. (hits this woman) It's almost as if they're difficult to draw ON PURPOSE!! [Mad]
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Ryuko)))
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pseudo-hobbit
Member # 7269

Source pic people have a tendency to move. They're like wizard trading cards.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

O_o Shmoo?

Edit: Hello Edu! How are you?

[ January 29, 2005, 05:00 AM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

pseudo-hobbit
Member # 7269

Well, they don't make big moves, but they move. When you turn around they'll shift just enough to screw up the eye, or the nose, or whathaveyou, and you're all like "Hey!" and they're all like "What? I didn't move." Lying jerky pictures.

In other news, I need sleep. A lot of sleep.

See you tomorrow, hon.

Ryuko
Member # 5125

See you!
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fine, Ryuko. It's about 8 AM over here in Brazil. See, I'm an early riser. Are you working now? If you are, your working schedule is really, really tough.
My father's working schedule was hellish. He worked from 3:30 AM to 11:30 AM. From monday to saturday. 35 years straight. Now he's retired, but he always wake up around 6 AM. Old habits, you know.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Yeah, I work the midnight shift today. It's pretty bad for me, but I guess no worse than the things I've done to myself today... Bleehhhhh...

[Smile] I'll live. At least I don't have to work it all the time, like your father! That must have been terrible for you, too, he probably slept all day.

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Hope you get the sleep you deserve soon, dear.
Yup, my father used to sleep a lot during the day. But since he worked the same schedule since he was 13 y.o. he was pretty used to it. In some ways it was a bonus, since he took care of me and my brother while mom was working (she's a teacher).

Now changing subjects: did you watch (or read) an Anime (Manga) called "Berserk"? I bought the DVDs, and they're amazing (albeit a "little" dark and gory).

Ryuko
Member # 5125

I saw part of it, the first episode, but as I'm sure you recall, the first episode was not terribly impressive. (And the theme is TERRIBLE) Hopefully I'll get a chance to see the rest before my friend who has it graduates.
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Yup. The first episode isn't much (the series start 'in media res'), but the rest is much, much better.
Another one I watched recently and liked very much was "Saikano" (very sad, but very good).

Well...I have to go now, Ryuko, but it was nice to chat with you. It always is.
Third-World greetings for you, my friend. [Wave]

Ryuko
Member # 5125

[Smile] Have a good day, Eduardo.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

GRAHHHH!!!

My co-worker is NOT HERE. He didn't even know he had to work!!!

I'm exhausted, and I've already been here an extra half hour! I want to go home and go to sleep!!!

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

He at least told you when he would be able to arrive ?
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
That sucks! [Group Hug]
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.