FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Google phone book

Author Topic: Google phone book
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're the paranoid type, you might go to google and type in your area code and phone number. If you are in there, it comes back with your name, address and a yahoo map to your house. [Eek!]

[Angst]

Of course, I'm not in there, but you might be. The thought of someone being able to get a map to your house that easily creeps me out.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not in there but my parents are... kind of useful really, I've always wanted to be able to reverse phone-numbers to names.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a number of sites out there that have been doing reverse lookups of telephone numbers for a long time, http://www.anywho.com being one of them. I haven't seen any others that provided a map to the house yet, though.

I use this sort of thing when somebody calls my phone and hangs up right away, but I'm still curious to find out who it was.

Edit: The next time you get a package sent to you in the mail and you have a tracking number for it, try entering the tracking number right into Google. It will usually come up with a link directly to the tracking page for your package. Pretty nifty, eh?

Anybody know other cool stuff you can look for on Google?

[ February 01, 2005, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Nato ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. Mine works. But since I'm listed in the phone book, that doesn't surprise me. And if someone knows my phone number, they probably know my name, and could have gotten my address from the phone book and typed it into mapquest themselves and gotten the exactly same information. So this doesn't really bother me.

I am paranoid enough to be listed under my initials instead of my full name, though, and that is what shows up here.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Google and Mapquest give directions to somebody else's house when you put in my address.... found that one out last night when I had a visitor get lost trying to find me using Mapquest's instructions!!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't happen with my phone number. [Dont Know] Not that that's a bad thing.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I just filled out the form to have mine removed. That's a little...well...

I suppose if your number is listed in the phone book, anyone could find you online and a map to your house. But ours isn't listed in the phone book, so I figured it shouldn't be listed here.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the warning Kayla, my google guru. [Smile]

I removed my parent's listing.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
just fyi... a telecom company that knows what they are doing can send whatever number they want for caller-id. meaning, don't rely on caller-id to tell you who it was that called because it can be misleading.
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
gnixing, my brother knows how to do that. it's something along the lines of *69 (but with a different code). if I remember it, I'll ask him about it next time I see him. That could potentially come in handy at times.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.