FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sndrake, you're in my state newspaper! (Million Dollar Baby)

Author Topic: Sndrake, you're in my state newspaper! (Million Dollar Baby)
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I know you had a thread about this already, but I was so excited to see your name I had to start a new one.

On page 3 of The West Australian today - a half page article entitled "Clint fires mercy killing row: America's moral outrage over Eastwood's Million Dollar Baby expected to spill into Australia"

From the 7th paragraph in:

quote:
"Any movie that sends a message that having a spinal cord injury is a fate worse than death is a movie that concerns us tremendously" Marcie Roth, executive director of America's National Spinal Cord Injury association told the New York Times.
There was an even angrier response from Chicago-based activist group Not Dead Yet, which picketed the film last month. "The movie is a corny melodramatic assault on people with disabilities", wrote Stephen Drake on the group's website. "It plays out killing as a romantic fantasy and gives emotional life to the "better dead than disabled" mindset lurking in the heart of the typical (read: non-disabled) audience member."

I'd say you managed to get your review some attention. [Smile]

I'll let you know the response to the article if you wish. Also, if you keep clippings or anything I can send the page to you.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!! [Eek!] All the way to Australia!

That's awesome!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
India, too, I gather.

Imogen, I would really be immensely grateful for the clipping. Please just mail it in whatever the cheapest postal option you have is.

You can check the NDY webpage for the address or email me: sndrake at aol.com

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa. It's like a for real meme.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Great!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gingerjam
Member # 7113

- posted      Profile for gingerjam   Email gingerjam         Edit/Delete Post 
i just went through the house looking for a copy of the West Australian to see the article but didn't find one... congrats though!
Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Ok, now I am going to have to expose my ignorance and give up trying to figure it out in context.

On this board, what is the definition of "meme"?

(a google search for a definition was spectacularly unhelpful or too helpful, depending on how you want to look at it.)

*hides head in embarrassment*

*awaits answer*

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
A meme is the smallest unique unit of information, in a way analogous to a gene being the smallest unique bit of genetic information.

And like genes, all intelligent people wish to pass on their memes.

At least, that's what I think someone told me . . . [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
DAMN! That's awesome!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

So, then, this would the meme? (the statement part)

quote:
"The movie is a corny melodramatic assault on people with disabilities", wrote Stephen Drake on the group's website. "It plays out killing as a romantic fantasy and gives emotional life to the "better dead than disabled" mindset lurking in the heart of the typical (read: non-disabled) audience member."
Did I really write that? [Wink]

It does seem to be the one statement - out of many made by me and others - that is getting the most play, although "vendetta" is running a healthy second. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

*nod*

Also, I believe any sufficiently similar rephrasing would still be considered the same meme -- unless/until it mutates enough to no longer be recognizable (again following the gene analogy).

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

So...

In other words,

my cooties are contagious!

rivka
Member # 4859

[ROFL]
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Clipping sent.

[Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.