FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Brahms' First Symphony (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Brahms' First Symphony
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Barber is quite nice, though not often discussed academically.

I love Stravinsky as well, and his music is constantly being examined from every minute angle. As a matter of fact, the head of my advisory committee is a Stravinsky expert.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Shostakovich 10 rocks. The first movement is cold, I'll freely admit that, and it's twenty minutes long so unless you know the piece makes sense, it's tempting to think that he is wasting your time. But it's one of those pieces about Russia, so it's going to be a little cold.

But that first movement is all to lay the foundation for the other three movements, which are glorious.

[ February 02, 2005, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Irami, ....are you a brass player? [Big Grin]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I love Stravinski, the Firebird Suite is one of my favorites, so dramatic.

quote:
I have to tell you, I can't agree. I love the Brandenburg Concertos more.
I love the Brandenburgs too, KQ.

I also love Mahler's First, not as crazy about the rest. [Smile]

[ February 02, 2005, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: Ela ]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Oh, I missed the mention of the Brandenburgs! Which reminds me...in terms of baroque concerti, Bach is great, but Handel is also amazingly wonderful.
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Barber is lovely. One piece that we both may like is "Knoxville: Summer of 1915." He wrote a string quartet I like, too, I think it's opus 10. It's the one from where the famous Adagio is lifted, but if you go back and listen to the entire piece, you'll find it's really, really good.

I'm an oboe player.

Ela,

The Firebird is the closest big Stravinsky piece that I can wrap my head around, and maybe the violin concerto or Petrouska.

The Symphony in C, Symphony of Psalms, Rite of Spring I don't get. I think the only reason I get Pucinella is because Stravinsky is speaking down to me.

[ February 02, 2005, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Not sure if you were talking to me, but I've played the Barber quartet; I know what you're talking about. [Smile]

Ah, ok. The reason I asked is because your list of likes seemed to line up very well with the list of likes of the herd of trombone and tuba players I hung out with in college.

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

Ruyko,

I didn't see your post on the bottom of that last page. I agree.

Megan,

Isn't that quartet nice? The first movement is brilliant, and I don't think that too many people know that.

Just so you know, I have a big old sappy side that digs Tchiakovsky 5 and Dvorak 7.

[ February 02, 2005, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Ela
Member # 1365

In choral music, I admit to having place in my heart for Benjamin Britten's War Requiem - maybe because I sang in several performances of it in college, under the direction of an excellent conductor.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Oh, and Irami, I have to admit, I mainly like Stravinski's Firebird, I haven't listened quite as much to his other pieces. [Smile]
Megan
Member # 5290

Yeah, I actually like the first and third movements of the Barber quartet quite a bit. I like the Adagio, too; it's just kind of overplayed. In fact, that's how I feel about a great deal of romantic symphonic music; I just don't want to hear it anymore. I'd much rather have the precision and wit of the Classical era than the over-dramatic passion of Romanticism.

And regarding Tchaik 5 and Dvorak 7, I don't think you'd be a good wind player if you didn't at least like 'em. [Smile]

I have to say...I do think Rite of Spring is really, truly amazing, once you get to know it, though. To me, it's utterly earth-shattering in a way that pieces like Firebird cannot be.

*watches her post count creep closer to 1000. debates the possibility of doing a landmark. [Angst] *

[ February 02, 2005, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Megan ]

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
(mmm, I love Tchaikovsky 5. Do we have any horn players in the house? [Smile] )

Megan, word on what you said about the Rite of Spring. I really like to listen to that piece with the score in front of me though...otherwise, I'm easily lost.

Funny, I feel the same way about Beethoven and some Brahms. (about having the score in front of me.) I remember when we analyzed opus 131 (Beethoven) and how incredibly fascinating that was. I've also listened to Brahms 1 with the score in front of me and I won't do it any other way now. [Big Grin]

But then, I'm a nerd.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

I feel the same way; that's why I'm doing what I'm doing now. [Smile]

You could be a super-secret theorist in disguise! [Cool]

Narnia
Member # 1071

I really think I am Megan. I'm actually a super-secret music history nerd. I adore music history. The ham in me loves to perform and the romantic in me loves to conduct....

but I think it would be such a blast to have a room full of intelligent people that HAVE to listen to my CD collection. I've been forcing unwilling people to do it for so long... [Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Narnia, I'm afraid I don't know your background; are you (or were you) in music school? I'm thinking you're a vocalist, but I could be utterly wrong about that, as well.
Narnia
Member # 1071

I'm a vocalist with a Bachelor of music. I'm working on my teaching credential and a master of education kind of comes with that.

Student teaching is kicking my butt. (Freshman girls. Saints preserve us.) I've been battling the urge to run away from teaching and go back to get my MM in....something. Vocal performance? Conducting? Music History?

Ah, too many choices. My current decision is to teach for a few years and take a bite out of my student loans and then go back to school.

I really miss being a music student though. It's hard not to be taking lessons (no time) though it is fun to be teaching privately now. *sigh* It's tough.

Add: My ultimately perfect job would be to conduct an awesome university chamber choir while teaching music history as well.

[ February 02, 2005, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Megan
Member # 5290

Ah, I see. Yeah, I can't imagine teaching anyone younger than 18, and even the 18-year-olds sometimes drive me a bit batty. Fortunately, though, since they're new to college, the vast majority of them are scared (or, at the very least, slightly unsure of themselves).

I do have to say, though, unless you're considering seriously going into academic music, I'd give the music history (and its cousin, music theory) degrees a miss. They're a pain in the butt, and really only good for getting more academic music degrees.

Anyway, I have to run...piano lesson time! Whee!

Ryoko
Member # 4947

- posted      Profile for Ryoko   Email Ryoko         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok...back...

Wow, a lot was discussed...where to begin... [Smile]

Here are some random recommendations for some groovy tunes:

Mozart: Symphony #23 in D (Wonderful Oboe solo in the slow movement...short but sweet...can't remember the K. number off the top of my head...sorry)

George Crumb: Vox Balanae

Ives: Central Park in the Dark and the Unanswered Question

Posts: 194 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite recording of the Bach suite is by a Bass player. Edgar Meyer .

Why I love this musician and this recording:
"There is a soulfulness to this music that I want to bring out. The bass is darker than the cello... and it's this moody quality that I like to emphasize."
Edgar Meyer

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Oh, a bass recording. I see.

I wasn't actually considering other instrument recordings, though I guess if I had to pick one, I guess it would be Edgar Meyer. I don't know that I'd necessarily call it superior to the Yo-Yo Ma recording; it'd be like comparing apples and oranges.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.