FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 50 gmail invites

Author Topic: 50 gmail invites
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Now this is getting embarassing.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
50, wow....
I never understand the whole community email thing. What's wrong with my ol ISP or some web based free thing. Why do I need one here and another over there.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Why Jay! It's just so we can have more than anybody else, isn't it?
[Wink]
After all, I have at least five different e-mail addresses that I check daily -- and probably a few that I have forgotten about....

LOL
FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
i can't believe i'm bothering to answer this question...

email addresses with your ISP will change when you go to a different provider. people don't like to notify everybody with new email addresses when this change occurs and thus risk never getting email from people they forgot. it's far easier to use a google or hotmail, etc.. email address that will never change.

as for multiple addresses - that is so people can prioritize their email. similar to using file folders for different types of papers.

Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Gotta love Outlook and it being able to handle multiple email accounts.

Fun!

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
What exactly makes gmail better than hotmail?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll send you an invitation. Investigate it yourself.

EDIT: Check your email, zgator.

[ February 03, 2005, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Why switch all the time?
I've had the same broadband account for years now.
But you are right.
What I was trying to say was gmail, rock mail, this mail, that mail, this mail. Everyone keeps trying to get you to sign up for their group email thingie. Some buddies have so many and keep sending out new ones. I always just ask them which one they check.

gnixing
Member # 768

quote:
What exactly makes gmail better than hotmail?
the biggest plus is one that i'm not sure is universally available yet.

pop access. (ability to use any email program)

Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
And also, the in-line thread mechanism. I was won to the gmail side when I saw how well it can be used.

I have six invites. How did you get so many, kat??

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Ritual sacrifices.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

quote:
Why switch all the time?
I've had the same broadband account for years now.

$$ - you probably could get a better rate if you checked around.
quote:
gmail, rock mail, this mail, that mail, this mail. Everyone keeps trying to get you to sign up for their group email thingie.
a lot of it has to do with the domain and goes back to sorting emails. you can get an email address such as xyz@doctor.com to have people send certain types of emails and another at xyz@comic.com for funnies, etc.
personally, i've found it best to buy my own domain (ie. gnixing.com) and then i can use email addresses like hatrack AT gnixing dot com or spam AT gnixing dot com so that i can filter my emails by WHERE they got the address from. it's very easy to avoid spam this way. i then use gmail service to be my email provider so that i don't need to worry about maintaining my own mail server.

sexy_aaron
Member # 7312

- posted      Profile for sexy_aaron   Email sexy_aaron         Edit/Delete Post 
The only good thing about g-mail is that it has a lot of storage space. Besides that, know that all your e-mails have google programs reading them, picking out words, and using those words to deturman how they advertise to you.

Write vacation in an e-mail, and expect your ads to be holiday based.

Posts: 78 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, katharina, I don't need any more email accounts but the nurse I work with every day has a computer and really needs an email account for her use alone. If you email one to me can I give it to her?
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Done, to the address in your profile.

It just appeared this morning. They are messing around with the presentation of it again.

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jonathan.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Gmail is a revolution.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I have only ever had two email accounts. One is my yahoo account, which I still use. However, last fall I was having a lot of trouble getting into it, having to submit my password several times before it would let me through, so I got a gmail account so I would have a backup if I got entirely kicked out of my yahoo one.

I have to say I love Gmail. I love the way it's set up, and the way I don't get any spam at all. Everyone says that google scans your emails to figure out what kind of ads to send you, but I haven't gotten any. I think what I like most is the ease of sending attachments. With my yahoo accounting adding an attachment takes much more work than any attachment is worth. With gmail it takes about 2 clicks and you're done. So nice.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone else needs an invite, send me an email. I think I have about a dozen at the moment. [Smile]

I take that back, it looks like I have 54 invites available....

[ February 03, 2005, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

quote:
Ritual sacrifices.
Genius. If only I could find some more rats.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
google ads aren't spam...they just have text-based ads on the sides of your email queue. I usually only notice the funny ones that pop up on my PBEM conversations.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Ha ha, yeah. We kept getting ads for carts and camping and horses and whatnot.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

The ads are what is needed, when is needed, where is needed and how is needed.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh* Anyone who thinks their NON-gmail email is somehow more private . . . well, I have this lovely bridge I'd like to sell you.

Email is NOT a truly private medium. And no email (once sent) is ever truly erased.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have spare invites, send them to gmail@isnoop.net .

It's a spooler for invites. It will send them out to people who request them at http://isnoop.net/gmailomatic.php

Edit: oh wait. It looks like they had an enormous boom today as everybody got their 50 invites and had nobody to send them to. Looks like Gmail's almost out of Beta.

[ February 03, 2005, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Nato ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I like Gmail better than Hotmail, but not better than Yahoo, so far. That's partly cause I don't need the amount of storage space Gmail gives me anyway (who needs to save that many emails?). The other part is that I like ther features of My Yahoo, including bookmarks, My Briefcase, My Photos, and so forth.

Oh, and I have 50 Gmail invites, too. [Big Grin]

[ February 03, 2005, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Ela ]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.