FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone here familiar with Albuquerque?

Author Topic: Anyone here familiar with Albuquerque?
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife has an interview with a school in Albuquerque in a month. If it goes well, we could move there this summer. Crazy stuff. Anyway, I had a couple of questions:

First, does anyone here live down that way? Any pointers on what to do down there? Good place or bad place?

Second, if we were going to live there, what's a nice neighborhood? We'd like to live somewhere near the school, somewhere that isn't in the 'hood, but where houses aren't a million dollars each. Sort of a nice, safe, middle class area, maybe near some libraries and theatres.

If anyone can give us pointers, that would be very much appreciated. Thanks large.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I lived in New Mexico, but far enough away I couldn't help you much. However, eventually you're going to have to visit Roswell and Carlsbad Caverns.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Albuquerque!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Albuqurque is very popular with artists and the trustfundarians they attract, as well as former Californians. So unless ya live in the California coastal counties or Manhattan, be prepared for sticker shock in regard to prices for comparable housing.

Forget about having the suburban green lawn. Recent population growth has outstripped the water supply.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I was waiting for someone to post the song. [Smile] I LOVE that song.

"...and everybody DIED!

except for me! Ya know why?

Cause I had my tray table up, and my seat back in the full upright position, had my tray table up...."

[Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's a good omen. Not only is it my favorite Weird Al song, it's also my favorite Neil Young song.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Be very aware of how long it takes to get to shopping centers, grocery stores etc when you look for a place to live. A friend of mine in the miltary moved down there, and they got a beautiful house off base. The problem that they didn't realize when they moved in, was that they were on the edge of Albuquerque in a suburban area where residential growth had outstripped commercial growth. As a result it took her 15 minutes to the nearest Walgreens and 25 minutes to grocery stores. They ended up moving back on base because she couldn't handle the hassle with two small children.

AJ

[ February 06, 2005, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Albuquerque Turkey

(sung to the tune of "Clementine")

Albuquerque is a turkey
And he's feathered and he's fine
And he wobbles and he gobbles
and he's absolutely mine.

He's the best pet that you can get..
Better than a dog or cat.
He's my Albuquerque turkey
And I'm awfully proud of that.

He once told me , very frankly
he preferred to be my pet,
not the main course at my dinner,
and I told him not to fret.

And my Albuquerque turkey
is so happy in his bed,
'Cause for our Thanksgiving dinner...
We had egg foo yong instead.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zemra
Member # 5706

- posted      Profile for Zemra   Email Zemra         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that Speed beat me to it. I have been looking all over the Internet about places to live and apartments to rent and I have no idea what is a good place and what is not. Is there any website to go where they will compare neighborhoods. If you could help me it will be very much appreciated. [Kiss] [Wink]

[ February 06, 2005, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: Zemra ]

Posts: 69 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DocCoyote
Member # 5612

- posted      Profile for DocCoyote   Email DocCoyote         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are looking for a place to live, Rio Rancho is probably better. There aren't too, too many places in Albuquerque that are great neighborhoods.

Rio Rancho, however, is entirely upwardly mobile.

I'll get more ideas from the SO, who was born and raised in NM, and has lived in ABQ, and post again tomorrow.

Lisa

Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the place Bugs Bunny always says he should have taken a left turn at, right? [Smile]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.