FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » French Jatraqueros?

Author Topic: French Jatraqueros?
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
My father took about five years of French, but not read a lot in French over the last twenty years or so. Last year, my brother and his wife gave him french translations of the Harry Potter books, and he has been greatly enjoying them. However, now that he has gotten back into the language, he wants to move into reading books that were written in French, not translated from English. He was talking to me about trying to find out what a few of the books every high school aged French student reads either for school or otherwise, so he would have an idea where to start.

I figured Hatrack would be a good place to ask [Wink]

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Le Petit Prince, of course. [Smile]

French Lit classes make you start with La Chanson de Roland and work forward in time, but the books that I found most enjoyable were the not-so-literary ones that I could get through more easily. Marcel Pagnol's Manon des sources is a good one. (It inspired the movie of the same name) And of course, you have to read the original Les miserables.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
I read "La Place" by Annie Ernaux for my advanced French course in secondary school and absolutely loved it. I found I could get through most of it without having to use a dictionary too often - she has a very terse, spare writing style which is quite easy to read while still being very powerful. I found Camus a bit more difficult, but I reckon L'etranger is still probably fairly accessible.
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Candide
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Alexander Dumas:
The Count of Monte Cristo
The Three Musketeers.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
The Petit Nicolas stories are really cute, but also very easy.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Albert Camus and Jean Paul Sartre, but I don;t know how into French Exitentialism he is. I had strange French and English teachers.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Eesh. I had to try to read Sartre in French once... thought it was just my language deficieny until I picked up an English translation!
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Manon des sources!! Saddest movie ever. [Frown]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Well ! To retry to read french i think he may read Le petit prince. This book are simple in the language but so deep in the beauty and the sence. It's a merveille.

When i was in lycée (high school for you), i studied :
Candide by Voltaire [Hail]
Le rouge et le noir by Stendhal [Mad]
Ménon by Platon [Hail]
Les illusions perdues by Balzac [Sleep]
Le père goriot by Balzac [Sleep]
Le présent et le mouvant by Bergson
W ou le souvenir by Perrec
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Noces à Tipasa by Albert Camus [Wink]
Bouvard et Pécuchait by Flaubert
La vie de Galilée by Brecht [Wink]

Smileys explain what i think.

[ February 07, 2005, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: Choobak ]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.