FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Super Sunday, my favorite holiday

Author Topic: Super Sunday, my favorite holiday
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
The family gets together, just like Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Eve, but nobody expects me to cook. Instead, it's assumed that we will order, of all things, a pizza! (You should see the pizza idea get shot down when I propose it for Thanksgiving!)

And then we all sit around and watch a football game on TV!

Is this a great country, or what?!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing missing is a national holiday on the Monday after the Super Bowl for recovery purposes.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
What is this "Superbowl" you speak of?

[Razz]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you, Shan.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
My friend Claudia called me up to tell me she was going over to another friend's to watch the game. And "in case I felt like watching some football" I was welcome to join them.

My response? "Thank you, but I have never felt like watching some football in my life."

She knew that, but was offering anyway. [Smile]

Enjoy your pizza, Icarus.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Thank you, but I have never felt like watching some football in my life."
As I tell all of my non-football watching friends, the game isn't the point of a Superbowl Party. It's just an excuse to have a party. In fact, I generally remember what antics my friend get up to rather than things that happen in the game. And I like football.

'Course there's also generally alcohol involved which makes it much harder for me to concentrate on a game.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Go Eagles.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Chili cheese dip, Doritos, beer and brats.... oh and I hear there's a game on somewhere.... some British guy is singing, I think.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

You know, the TV technology is getting amazing. I remember thinking that that yellow line was pretty cool. Then FOX came out with those arrows that tell you the down and distance, and that seemed like it would be the next big thing. But today, FOX has unveiled something that blows it away, and I'm frankly surprised at how little fanfare has accompanied this new advance.

Several times throughout the broadcast, Chris Collingsworth or Troy Aikman has begun an explanation with "Well, Joe, . . ." or "You know, Joe, . . ." Now, I've been listening closely, and I swear I can't hear a seam in the audio.

Amazing!

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I hate to say it, but it looks like the wheels are coming off for the Eagles.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
When I read that I pictured football players charging down the field on Segways. With one teams wheels getting loose.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Well, yes.

Isn't that what's happening on your TV?

El Babalao
Member # 5817

- posted      Profile for El Babalao   Email El Babalao         Edit/Delete Post 
The city of Boston has had some powerful black magic on their side for the past couple of years.

As much as I hate them, I have to admire the workmanship there . . .

Posts: 39 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
we had a superbowl party, we didn't even watch the comercials, we ate pizza and chinese food, played poker, watched the princess bride (because I'd never seen it [Blushing] ) and sprayed silly string all over.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang.. I swear I ate more more today than I did on Thanksgiving or Christmas! And I was doing so good on my diet [Grumble]
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

So how about this Cadillac ad?

quote:
Professional driver. Closed course. Incoherent commercial.

Icarus
Member # 3162

And if that guy weighs 249, I'll eat my keyboard.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
on my diet [Grumble]
Suneun, don't make me slap you.... [No No]

[ February 06, 2005, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I wonder why the network broadcast of the Simpsons had the short intro . . .
Icarus
Member # 3162

Wow . . . I knew the show had gone downhill, but this sucks.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.