FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I got a job!!!

Author Topic: I got a job!!!
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! [Big Grin] .

As most of you know, I have been looking for work in the Software Engineering / Programming field for over a year and a half now. Over this time I've moved twice, my bank account has been dwindling constantly, (One of my great Aunt's died and left me 4,000 dollars or else I'd be homeless in San Diego right now), and at the current time its less than zero. I have thousands of dollars of student loans I haven't been able to pay a dime of (I believe I am in default), and more than one collections agency sending me mail every month. Me an Nicole (valentine014) are currently living in a tiny room in a friend of her mom's house. A week or so ago Niki started pressuring me to look for a retail or food service job, since I didn't seem to be having luck in my field. Even though I knew it was necessary, that Monday, I applied to a few more programming jobs instead of looking for a crap job.

Good thing I did. Today I accepted an offer to work for Priority Technologies. They are a very small company (22 employees, now 23) which, ironically enough, deals with student loan software. It seems like a great company. I interviewed with the 5 department heads all at once, and had a great time with them. They were joking back and forth, and seemed to be excited to talk to me. The standard dress is jeans and a t-shirt, and I got a couple jokes about my suit. The benefits seem excellent, with health insurance (yay, I can see a doctor now), dental insurance (I have about 6 cavities needing fillings), 401K after a year, 50$ a month technical book fund, a laptop, continuing education, certification fund, and I believe they are even going to pay for my internet at home. Plus the pay is well within my goal range.

So I got my dream job, lets hope I can keep it.

Edit: So now after getting an apartment and internet, I'll be able to spend a lot more time with you guys! (Plus we are going to book an addition night's stay at Bob and Dana'a wedding)

[ February 07, 2005, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]
[Party]
[The Wave]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude! where the hell you been? still with nikki? where the hell has SHE been?

email me benharris1313 at yahoo dot com
i lost phone #s.

do it NOW.

oh and congrats on the job

[ February 07, 2005, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]
Nice, Xavier!

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! I hope you can keep it, too. [Smile]

[Party]

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Xavier.... congrats on the new job! Sounds like a dream job. I am sure you will do just fine. Yay for proper health insurance and free internet.
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! Let's hope things go as well for my husband; he's selling cars right now, but would really love to work in accounting, and may have a shot at two jobs near where I grew up...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]

That's fantastic Xavier! I'm also looking for a new career right now so I can totally sympathize with your fears. (I wake up screaming at night: "I'm 30 and I don't know what to do with my life!")

If you can rig your software to erase my student loans, I'll be your best Hatrack buddy. [Wink]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Wohoo!

[Party]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Xav, that's perfect! It sounds perfect for you. [Smile] Congratulations!! [Smile]
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!
[The Wave]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party] Good for you! It looks liek your persistence paid off.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
w00tness! [Group Hug]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Xavier, that is AWESOME!!! [The Wave] [The Wave]

quote:
I wake up screaming at night: "I'm 30 and I don't know what to do with my life!"
I totally do not do that.

I just bottle it up. [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulafuls, Xavier! [Big Grin]

I'm also happy as I'm pretty much assured a summer job! Hooray! No searching pour moi!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!! [Party] [Party] [The Wave] [The Wave]
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Xavier. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Good stuff! [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
WOOOOOO! [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
YAY for getting your dream job! [Party]
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
congrats on the job!
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
You are all too young to be worrying about that..the answer is die.

We all do it, eventually. [Big Grin]

Kwea [Evil]

[ February 08, 2005, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone [Smile] .
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go, dude. I'm looking myself.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.