FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question Regarding Parenting

Author Topic: Question Regarding Parenting
reader
Member # 3888

- posted      Profile for reader   Email reader         Edit/Delete Post 
What would you think about allowing a five-year-old girl to play alone in her room for a couple of hours at a time, if she was generally very good at keeping herself occupied, and the mother was near enough to hear her if she yelled?

This is a hypothetical question (it has to do with a story I'm writing) so don't worry about passing judgments - it doesn't involve any real people. I'm honestly not sure if this is generally considered to be perfectly fine or absolutely terrible.

And also, do five-year-olds still take naps?

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And also, do five-year-olds still take naps?
I think the answer to this one is "yes". As for the rest, I'll let someone more qualified answer.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I played with my little brother a lot when I was that age, but I don't know that even a child who is "good at keeping herself occupied" could be alone for "a couple of hours" without her mom at least checking in. More realistic is for her mom to settle her, make sure she's doing something safe and she can hear her, and check every half hour or so (or sooner if she hears no noise at all, or ominous ones). The kid would probably run up periodically and do a "mommy mommy look at this" type thing, too.

Some 5 year olds take naps, some don't; the ones who don't usually still do need an enforced "down time" where they are told to lay down and rest, with a book or music if necessary.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't know how acceptable or proper it is outside of my own home, but I would play alone in my bedroom for more than a couple hours at a time when I was young. I'd do it the whole day if I could because I preferred playing alone to playing with kids from the neighborhood. My mom would check up on me every so often and sometimes suggest I take a break. So to me, it's normal behavior.
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Twenty-five year olds still take naps.

*rubs eyes*

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Operaetta is 6, and I'd say she just started within the last year occupying herself for long periods of time. So I'd guess at 5 you're probably lucky to get an hour, tops. As for naps, that's different for every child. My son stopped taking them at 3, and my daughter at 4.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
My daughter is six. She regularly entertains herself for a couple hours at a time when she is home during the day and did so when she was 5 as well. She occasionally comes out to ask or show us something but not terribly often.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reader
Member # 3888

- posted      Profile for reader   Email reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much for all the responses, everyone. [Smile]

Solo - about how often do you check up on your daughter when she's playing by herself? Or do you not bother, knowing that if anything happens, she'll come to you, or you'll hear her?

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
My daughter took naps through kindergarten. Not so lucky with the boy. Sometimes the kids will play on their own for a long time, but they have to be free to come check on me, which I think they do every 30 minutes or so.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
None of my kids took naps past two.

My five-no-SIX year old will sometimes occupy herself that long, usually if she has come into new Ponies . But I will check on her every 1/2 hour or so, because if she were quiet in her room for hours, it would probably mean she had found a marker and was working on her budding career as a mural artist.

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
My almost five year old twins play together in one of their rooms for a as long as 2 hours, maybe. Certainly not every day. But then, that doesn't answer your question because they have each other to keep themselves occupied.

I do not let them go that long without checking on them though - I mean, I'll walk up there every now and then and make sure their version of entertainment doesn't involve shoving forks in to electrical sockets or something. A five year old still lacks the judgment to completely avoid harmful behaviors - moms still need to be on top of them pretty well.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Our (almost) 4-year-old plays on her own for as long as her attention span will last. Our 2-year-old plays on his own fairly well now as well, but with him you do have to keep watch constantly. [Smile]

We keep our bedroom door and the bathroom door closed, and then all that's left is the living room, kitchen, and kid's room full of toys. Kid's room is safe zone. They can make messes and they have to be really creative to get hurt. If one of us is stationed in the kid's room and one in the living room, it's pretty low-maintenance for a while.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
I was probably about five when I started reading for long periods of time (a couple of hours). Can't remember exactly, but we moved house when I was six and I definitely remember reading for hours before that.
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
When my son was 5, he could play by himself for a while in his room. I didn't need to check on him because he talked non-stop while he was playing. Not loud, just there. When it got quiet, I'd check on him.

He quit napping around 5.

My daughter (2-1/2) is trying to eliminate napping, but without much success. We insist on it because she's such a PITA without one. And she can't and doesn't play by herself much. She's the extrovert...my son is an introvert all the way.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister, now five, stopped napping aged two. Drove my mother up the wall.

I think most people no longer nap aged five; I don't think I did and my sisters didn't. I think it's possible, but not the norm.

EDIT: Mixture of written numbers and numerals. Yech.

[ February 07, 2005, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.