FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your Best Job Ever

Author Topic: Your Best Job Ever
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

- posted      Profile for Dread Pendragon   Email Dread Pendragon         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread got me thinking, what is the best job you ever had, and why was it the best?
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Being a mom...

(oh -- did you mean paid position?)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides mothering, the only job I ever had was doing daycare.

I loved it.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

- posted      Profile for Dread Pendragon   Email Dread Pendragon         Edit/Delete Post 
No! Being a mom rocks! (or a dad). It is like getting an education, you complain about how hard it is, but really you find it meaningful and significant, and you would do it over again (assuming you had a "meaningful" educational experience).
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

Me? Funny you should ask. I love doing what I am now, but besides my current job, I was a Chinese Tour Guide at the Polynesian Cultural Center. It was a great job. I got good tips, went to shows in the villiage (the Maori and Samoan shows were great). It was great. [Party]
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have much experience in the work field, but I actually enjoy filing. I really like the process of making things orderly. Somewhat strange, considering what a mediocre housekeeping I am.

I think my favorite jobs were being a secretary and being the office assistant at a paint and glass shop. Other jobs were nannying, custodial, and retail. So that isn't much to compare to. But I have taught a lot as a volunteer, and I think I would really enjoy it.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Sailing instructor. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Working at l'Arche, in my first house. It was hard work, but very rewarding. The people, both the Core Members and the Assistants, taught me so much. There was time to retreat, and time to have fun and play. I've never felt so bereft as when I left, the first time.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I worked in a game store for about a year and a half. I pretty much got paid to hang out with people. [Big Grin]

*sniff*
Man, I miss that job. [Frown]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
This one.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
This one is pretty good.

I loved being a missionary and deeply mourned that I couldn't do it forever. Does that count?

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked working at the toy store. They had me draw giant pictures for their store displays, and I got to sell games for two weeks straight during Christmas. I'm not a natural salesman, but I could sell Apples to Apples to anyone. And if they already had it, I'd sell them Settlers of Catan or Blokus. But no Scene It - sorry! - we've been sold out for weeks!

I miss that job.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm going to suck because I'm not going to say "mother". I love being a mother and it is the best job in the world -- but when someone asks me what was my best job ever, I think of the year I worked for a UHF station when I was a sr in high school.

It was a great job. I ran cameras, answered phones, edited tapes, and ran night operations. We covered local softball games and beauty pageants. It was so much fun.

It was because of this job that I can knowledgably say that I'm allergic to black panthers. VERY allergic.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I worked at Babbages when I was in college. We were expected to check out the software and try it at home so we would know what were talking about. Yes, I was paid to take home the latest games and play them.

Also, I worked with a great bunch of people. We had a lot of fun.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a professional pyromaniac.

Really.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chupacabras
Member # 6840

- posted      Profile for Chupacabras   Email Chupacabras         Edit/Delete Post 
I once rode with my good friend Pancho Villa. We stole many fine horses from the rich man.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
<Relieved this isn't....>
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[No No]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

quote:
I once rode with my good friend Pancho Villa. We stole many fine horses from the rich man.
[Smile]

Yeah, but was that a "job" or just more of a hobby?

Chupacabras
Member # 6840

- posted      Profile for Chupacabras   Email Chupacabras         Edit/Delete Post 
The rich man, his tiny son rode what was called a "hobby horse." My friend Pancho Villa, he steals that boy from the rich man's house and puts him on a real horse. The rest is history.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I was an administrative assistant in the Strategic Products Division for the California Test Bureau, which was a subsidiary of McGraw-Hill. I got to check standardized test items for accuracy. It rocked. At the same time, I know it's really geeky for me to have been excited about that. I used to share an office with a retired Navy officer who like to snack on Meow Mix.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Meow Mix. [Angst] Way too salty, IMO.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.