Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I am

Author Topic: I am
Pythian
Member # 7080

- posted      Profile for Pythian   Email Pythian         Edit/Delete Post 
age 17, not yet out of high school, and interested in learning HTML and maybe taking a college course on it, however i would like to get a head start to learn some of the basic things first so i know what i would be getting myself into, and was hoping that one of you might know the best/most accurate website or program that teaches basic: HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.
Posts: 53 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You just walked into a bar in Dodge City and yelled, "So, y'all, what's the best gun?"
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
http://w3schools.com

Do the tutorials there in HTML, CSS, and XHTML, in that order. Create your own web pages to experiment on as you go through the tutorials.

Regularly read the stuff on http://alistapart.com . You won't understand it all, particularly at first, but it'll keep you tuned in to best practices.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Oh, I forgot: no asking a question here about something unless you've done the section of a tutorial on that thing and taken a look at the HTML, XHTML and/or CSS references (on w3schools) in order to try to figure it out yourself.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome! (sorta belated, but hey)

http://www.htmlgoodies.com has many extensive tutorials on HTML, Javascript, CSS, and (if I remember correctly) even gives short primers on PHP and Perl.

--j_k

[ February 08, 2005, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: James Tiberius Kirk ]

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

I am extremely skeptical of htmlgoodies as a good place to learn anything; while they get most of the basics right, their grasp of anything even moderately advanced is tenuous at best and frequently wrong, and their "more advanced" articles (such as any of the ones on XML) tend to be littered with major errors.

Plus, even though most of the basics are right, they teach the extensive use of deprecated styling practices in their HTML tutorials, resulting in hard to modify and update pages. This is stuff that even most table adherents have moved into the CSS because there's simply not a single good reason to put visual text style tags in the HTML.

Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
<derail>

Everytime I see this thread title, I get this urge to listen to Black Sabbath (and I've never had this urge before).

I am... Iron Man...

</derail>

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.