FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I am not in my right mind

Author Topic: I am not in my right mind
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Nor am I in my left mind, for that matter. I am, in fact, completely OUT of both minds and swirling around somewhere in the abyss, blissfully unaware of anything.

I want a puppy.

And while to most this must not seem "that crazy at all" I will give you these pieces of information:

1. I own two cats

2. I own five ferrets (boyfriend requests note that i actually only own ONE of the ferrets but since they reside in the same abode as myself i will say I OWN)

3. I live in an apartment that i barely make rent on from month to month that doesn't actually allow dogs.

4. I have taken a leave of absence from college which means that any semblence of a degree is yet another three or so years away...or possibly nonexistent which means I

5. Can't get a decent day job enabling me to pay for rent should we move to a different area which will inevitably be more expensive
which means the only way to earn good money is

6. Waitressing which I can't possibly stomach for the rest of my life or

7. Writing a bestselling novel which, though intriguing, is utterly ridiculous so

8. I continue to page through Petfinder.org, which is the most masochistic thing a person in my position can do because I

9. Love animals so much I cry more for their deaths in movies than human characters and I someday want to

10. Run a no-kill animal shelter of my own which in harkening back to previous "pieces of info" will of course be nigh impossible with the income I currently have or hope to have the near and present future.

but really....what's a girl supposed to do with herself when she sees pictures like THIS lil dollface calling to her from the puppy humane society a mere 15 minutes from her home?

She only has one ear and one eye!!

I ask you. Seriously. What is a girl to do?

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Step away from the monitor ... slowly, hands at your sides.

I know what you are going through. A coworker has five dogs: three elderly keeshonden - Cash, Molly and Heidi, a part-lab named Soup, and a psychotic little dog named Biscuit. She peruses Petfinder frequently and talks about this dog or that dog ... I know she's going to bring another dog home and it's not going to be pretty.

She ended up with the elderly dogs through some keeshond rescue group. Her keeshond, Holly, died of cancer, and after about a year, she was ready to get another dog. (She had Soup and Biscuit at this time.) She adopted Cash (short for Cassius, I think). Soon after, she was asked to foster two female dogs whose owner had gone into a nursing home. She hadn't been looking for elderly dogs, and she really didn't want dogs with severe medical problems, but that's what she got.

It's like an addiction - you just have to keep telling yourself "no." I guess that's easy for me to say - we have one cat and I am standing firm on that. So far. Although, I would like a dachshund ...

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

It's so easy to say "no" until you're at the petstore and a wee little something or other is jumping up and down just begging you to TAKE ME HOME!!!!

[Cry]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Draw straws?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't Greg be your puppy?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I know exactly what you mean, Leonide.

We have a puppy. (We had another, she died. [Frown] Chelsea has now been with us for a month and a half and we love her very much).

She is however destructive as all heck. She also can only stomach the *expensive* dog food.

We cannot afford another dog. But look at this one!

*melts*

And if I see a ridgeback puppy up for adoption, I do not hold myself responsible for my actions.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't listen to your inner callings. Puppies will EAT YOUR LIFE.

Heh. I love my dog, and I certainly encourage people to have dogs. But in all honesty, my dog has seriously put me in debt, and don't even get me started on the litter he came from. I don't know how I will EVER finish paying for that nightmare.

Heh...sorry to sound so discouraging...I am just thoroughly frustrated with Oscar Wilde (my pup) right now.

Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
You should do your mooning here: Doggie Rescue - Then you know that you can't just go round the corner and pick them up.

Seriously tho, I helped a friend get a dog through this group before and they're just an amazing bunch of people.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Troubs - but I can. [Big Grin]

(Well, I'm closer at least.)

We probably will get another pup in the next 6 months or so because Chelsea is so dog-sociable she is almost dependant on other dogs. I think she would have much more fun with another dog to play with when we're out.

It will probably be a 4 month or older pup though (they tend to be at the local rescue places) - so at least we don't have to toilet train. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Still, a trip across the Nullabor is probably a little too far... [Wink]

Damn I wished I lived somewhere where I could have a pet. [Frown]

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
My gods! You have alot of pets! Can you afford a puppy? [Smile]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Kira, I want a dog really badly, too. I won't show you the puppy that's my wallpaper right now. He's mind-meltingly adorable.

I, also, cannot afford a dog and live in an apartment that makes it nigh impossible. So, my puppy-desires are acting as a catalyst for me to get my affairs in order so's I can own one, proper-like. Hopefully that will be soon, but owning a dog you cannot properly care for is unfair to both you and the doggie. [Frown]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is. [Frown]

We also live in an apartment that doesn't allow pets (my landlord is amazingly allergic to dogs and cats, poor guy). But the rent is incredibly cheap in this apartment for this area, so it'll let us save money till we can afford a place that'll allow pets.

I SO want a dog. I miss having one terribly. [Frown]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

I've already had three puppies in my lifetime (one I still have, technically, though she lives w/ my mumsy and sister at home) and I would nevah nevah own one without the proper funds and space to care for it.

All the more reason for me to write that novel!

Maybe I could afford another kitty , though...

Oh, and Kama -- Greg is my puppy. But when I call him "puppy" it makes me think of that twisted Buffy episode where VampWillow! tortures Angel with matches. And then I don't want to call him puppy anymore. [Angst]

[ February 10, 2005, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Leonide ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.