FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why I watch American Idol

Author Topic: Why I watch American Idol
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend Dale is a contestant!

He's the one in the black shirt, big grin, snazzy hat, and what-was-he-thinking pants. He isn't one of the ones they do a lot of storylines and features on--in fact the American viewing audience has yet to hear him talk on camera or even sing (a pity)--but every episode they show him doing a fun little celebratory dance when he gets passed on. I don't know what it means that he hasn't been featured yet. Either they know he's been eliminated, or they're saving his "storyline" for later episodes as they get closer to the finalists.

As for asking him, I kinda lost his phone number, and the email address I have for him doesn't seem to work. He probably wouldn't be able to tell me anything anyway.

Anyway, I'm glad the show has finally gotten past the "gong show" episodes. It hurt my ears to hear some of them sing, and I hated seeing them humiliated by Simon. That being said, I wish they had friends tell them they stink BEFORE they go up before Simon.

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I fear for him. A girl from my high school was in the top 10 in season 2. Problem is whenever she didn't do her best, the gossip picked up like no one's business, and people kept trying to get on camera when the news came by. Quite annoying.

I haven't been watching, though. Here's to hoping he makes number one!

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
my sister's husband grew up with and knows Carmen and her family well. she did well and hasn't suffered much from her experience on American Idol.

i hope your friend Dale does well!

[ February 10, 2005, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: gnixing ]

Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to him.
I watch it for the cuties...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I watch it for the cuties...
This reason comes in a very close second. And if Dale should get booted, 'twill become my number one reason.

Other reasons:
-I love old pop songs. Not too crazy about new stuff, but I love hearing the Temptations.
-Some of these kids can flat out sing (including Dale if we ever hear him)
-I like Simon's comments. He is a butt, but represents the fact that the industry is really hard and brutal, and doesn't sugarcoat anything. Of course, I think he's dead wrong about 25% of the time, but I'm not the millionaire record exec.

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, on one level, he's such an enemy of unique music...
I hope they don't get rid of Rachel, I think that is her name.
She is so cute.
Eyewateringly cute.
And her voice has such a nice warm sound.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I know This guy from when I worked on a BYU production of Music Man. [Smile]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
So which contestants are you rooting for?

The Constantine dude has beautiful eyes.

Contestants

Farmgirl

[ February 23, 2005, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
9:00.... dang. Smallville is on. Oh well.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

What? No TiVo?

[Big Grin]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
So which one is Dale from Farmgirl's link?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I'd like to know, too.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Bo all the way.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I don't think Dale is still in the running
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Mack - that's what my co-workers all say. They love Bo.

Farmgirl

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Only reason I'm going to watch from this point on is for Bo. I know that sounds silly, but everyone else was way too boring, with the exception of the girl who went last, last night. Only time I've ever called in a vote, and was well deserved.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

Nope--Dale made it through the round where they split everyone into 4 rooms and then passed on two of the groups. He was in one of those that got cut. I missed the first 10 mins. of the episode, so I didn't get to see if they showed him sing. Seeing as he was getting ready to be cut and they hadn't shown him before, I doubt it (which, if you'd ever heard him sing, you'd agree is a pity.) I did see his parting shot, though. When everyone was leaving, Dale looked right into the camera and said with his classic hugh smile on his face, "I did the absolute best I could." I hope he auditions next year, if the show's still going strong.
MichelleEly
Member # 6737

- posted      Profile for MichelleEly   Email MichelleEly         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm rooting for blonde country girl.
Michelle

Posts: 152 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I voted for 3 people yesterday [Big Grin] . # 2 because she is so damn cute, but she HAD to go out and sing that song I hate. Here is a woman with a soft nice voice, and what does she do?
Try to wail like Celine Dion. I mean, really. Celine Dion has got some of the worse vocal habits.
I voted for 12 by mistake and voted for 7 because I like her a lot and I want her to win.
Also, I think I voted for the guy with the dreadlocks. What a babe.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
This year, it's all about the fellas for me. In this order: Anwar, Bo, Constantine.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Amanda Avila is so cute. But, she lost points because she likes CELINE DION, and as I said before she sang that hateful song. Gods, I can't stand moany, whiny co-dependant songs unless they are good.
I am not watching American Idol now because I hate the way the torture the audience and the contestants when they eliminate people.
Nadia Turna, Anwar and David Brown are also kind of cute. and so is the kid that looks like a blonde Harry Potter.
They should let them all win, I think.

Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Next year I'll have to watch it for reasons beside schadenfreude. My friend Savanna is definitely the next Idol.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Pretty women? I saw which guy got eliminated (not one of the ones I like, whew) But, which one of the girls is out?
Not Amanda?! [Eek!] [Confused]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Okay - is anyone else following this season of American Idol?

I watched for the first time last night -- they are down to 12 (with Nikko stepping in for Mario, who quit).

Just wondering what the rest of you thought of the talent that is left. I heavily favor Bo, while Ivygirl thinks Constantine is just gorgeous... [Big Grin]

FG

(and then afterward I watched House for the first time -- and it was pretty good)

[ March 16, 2005, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the ones to watch are Bo Bice and Nadia. Anwar would make the short list, but his performance last night was ewww. I like the blonde country singer (whose name I can never remember) too, but don't think she'll win. Bo *owned* the stage last night. I don't like that song, but it was clear how good he is.

I like Mikayla for shere spunkiness, and think she'll make the top 6, but don't think she has what it takes to beat Bo or Nadia.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Nadia was pretty awesome last night, but people here at work said she hadn't been up to this point...

and when Simon said to Carrie "you know exactly what kind of singer you are" I think the what he was going to say (before the audience drowned him out) was that she knows she is a "country" singer. She probably won't make it as an idol, although she has a very good voice for country music.

FG

jeniwren
Member # 2002

Simon has been pretty positive about Carrie all the way along. I assume he meant Constantine, Bo and Carrie when he said that she was one of the three performers there who knew what kind of singer they were.

I thought Nadia's performances have been pretty consistent. But I've missed several weeks here and there.

I'm torn about Constantine...he's really good, pretty consistent, but he seems to me to have this cloud of "I'm not going to beat Bo" hanging over him.

My guesses for top 6: Anwar, Bo, Carrie, Constantine, Mikalah and Nadia.

I think Jessica Sierra or Lindsay Cardinale are gone tonight. Maybe Nikko.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I'm just such a mom -- but I couldn't listen to Nikko because my brain kept saying "pull up your pants! pull up your pants!" I hate droopy drawers...

FG

jeniwren
Member # 2002

LOL...I was more about Mikahlah's outfit. Honey, do NOT wear pants that you have to shave your pubic hair for. It would be one thing if you were built like a stickfigure model, but you have very nice curves that look better in something that hugs rather than bares. And since she did have to sit on camera, the view of a tiny roll of not-muscle on her belly was very unflattering.

I loved the dress Vonzelle was wearing, though.

(and yes, this all reveals me as a complete Idol worshipper. It's a show my son and I watch together -- it's our twice-weekly ritual.)

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"Bo *owned* the stage last night."

He has owned it every night.

Constantine cute? I don't get that, but I know it is a popular opinion. I think the nicest thing about Anwar, Bo, and Constantine is that they really don;t care if they win, or at least it seems that way to me. They have really solid careers in music already, and this is for fun.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Bo rules! I've been going for him since the beginning. In my opinon, if they hadn't made it 6 girls Vs. 6 boys, there would still be a dominance of testosterone in the competition.

[ March 16, 2005, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Little_Doctor ]

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I agree. It is the year of testosterone.

A friend pointed out one night that the women seem to be singing too far below their range. I think she is right. Anyone else notice that? I wonder if they are trying to sound like the guys?

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yeah - Ivygirl and I both said that outloud last night -- they were singing way too low for their ideal range. We couldn't figure out why they were trying to do that -- I'm sure they could have had the band play it in any key they wanted..

Farmgirl

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Hate to break it to you...but Constantine is horible. Really horrible.

I have seen the last 3 shows, and the only reason he is still in this is the teen-girl vote.

If he wins it will be worse than Fantasia winning last year.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Constantine is a performer. he is not horrible, but he has sh** the bed quite a few times, and I agree that his sex appeal has gotten him through.

I loved Fantasia, but it was a sin when LaToya was voted off.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.