FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Valentines Day makes me sad...

Author Topic: Valentines Day makes me sad...
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Well tomorrow is the day, and once again, I'm single... [Grumble]
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DocCoyote
Member # 5612

- posted      Profile for DocCoyote   Email DocCoyote         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm supposedly in a relationship, and I'm seriously hoping no one says anything about Valentine's Day to me. It's too confusing.

L

Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too. No romance... No one giving me dark chocolate truffles or chocolate roses... Or comic books.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see why that would be, as it's always touted as a "couples" holiday. But I don't think of it that way. For instance, I'm really looking forward to giving my kiddos their Valentine suprises - new books and a bit of candy. Is there someone (like maybe a grandparent or aunt who's alone) who's day you could brighten with a Valentine? I think it's a day to remember anyone you love, not just a significant other.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Bleh. I know my friends and family love me. I want someone to surprise me. Jeez.

But seriously, I like feeling loved by my parents and friends and whatnot, but... I dunno. It's so.. hard to be around other people. I mean, last year I had someone to hang out with who was also lonely. This year, I have no one. But that's mostly me being pathetic on purpose. All of my friends have SOs, but not all of them can be with them...

Bah. Stupid holiday. [Cry]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know what's truly sad?

I just looked at the date, and instead of thinking about Valentine's day tomorrow, I thought: "Oh <insert profanity here>... 6 days until the robotics website is due..."

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a card from my parents Friday and it made me really happy, so I agree with the sentiment that a nice card to a relative out of the blue would be a good thing.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

- posted      Profile for IrishAphrodite19   Email IrishAphrodite19         Edit/Delete Post 
My parents sent me books for Valentine's Day! I was so excited. And I opened them at dinner and made everybody else jealous. [Evil Laugh]

~Irish

Posts: 554 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*runs in circles*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I looked at the date and thought, "Oh, ****, the FAFSA is due in 2 days..."
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
it IS!?! No it's not...

Oh, I suppose it's different for every school...

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Tomorrow is Arizona Statehood Day. That other holiday is something the florists cooked up to sell a lot of roses.

I refuse to recognize tomorrow as Valentine's day,especially since I don't have a valentine. [Frown]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember if its valentines day or some other day that Halmark made up to increase their card sales. But there is some holiday that a greetings card company litterally made up to increase card sales, and it stuck.

This is the first year I actually have an SO for valentines day, and I'm under threats of violence from some of my female friends to come up with something special for her. Frankly, I'm inclined to just hang out with her for the evening becuase we aren't really the dating type of couple. But I think my friends might take my head off if I did that. I'm at a loss of what to do. And unfortunately, I can't really think about it at the moment, as I have a chem lab in front of me that needs doing.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I got my precious gift from God (my little boy) a wonderful new mug with Valentine decorabilia (a new word!) that I will fill with hot chocolate and give to him on a school day! *gasp*

We made his valentine's cards for the class party today, too - they were very simple and fun - very three-dimensional.

and at work, for a staff meeting, we are interspersing important details and decisions with chocolate fondue and strawberries and bananas.

[Big Grin]

I am ignoring the fact that I have neither boyfriend, husband, lover, etc., that will grace me with a dozen red roses . . .

*sob*

On the other hand, I also don't have dirty socks strewn about, whiskers in the sink, and perpetual snoring at night.

*grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back from a singles night of Indian food and Sex and the City. When I got home there was a V-day gift on the table from my dad. A bag of sour jelly bellys and a heart-shaped rock. Not much but it was really nice.*feels special*
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I ever had a girlfriend to celebrate Valentine's Day with until my wife and I were about to be married. I'd had several girlfriends before, but no relationship had started and lasted long enough to be intact on V-Day. My future wife and I had started dating (for the second time) in late February 1999, got engaged that summer, and got married on March 3, 2000. So our first V-Day together was when we were engaged.

I remember what I did. I made her dinner. It was steak, it tasted awful, and the whole apartment smelled like grease and smoke. And a big spider crawled across the kitchen floor while we were eating. *shudder*

Our wedding day, a few weeks later, went much better. [Smile]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pseudo-hobbit
Member # 7269

- posted      Profile for pseudo-hobbit   Email pseudo-hobbit         Edit/Delete Post 
This holiday always makes me nervous. All through grade school, I always wondered how many of the valentines I got were sincere and how many were just to fit the class requirement (I was the quiet kid no one talked to, so probably mostly the latter). Last year my first boyfriend tried to make it a good Valentine's by bringing me flowers and taking me out - then dumped me a few days later. Turned out he'd lost interest a while ago.

Maybe it's a good thing my SO's not around this week; I'd probably just be antsy and paranoid around him.

To balance out the e-angst, here's a hug for everyone in this thread! [Group Hug]

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
It's destiny !

[ February 14, 2005, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Alcon, Raia really enjoyed the Turkish Cafe when i used to take her there, and i don't think she's had anybody willing to go there with her since everybody left for school. That qualifies as a date, and it's laid back, hell you sit on the floor the whole time.

Good Luck [Wink]

Oh and curse you for having a happy V-day In my anti-valentines day thread.

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan, have I ever told you how much I love the stories you tell about your little boy? I admire you so much as a parent. [Smile]

Okay, it also reminds me a little bit of my mother. For Valentine's Day, my mom always made a special dinner, set the table with red and pink EVERYTHING, and next to everyone's plate was a V-Day mug filled with out favorite candy. I often got earrings or some other little piece of jewelry from her for Valentine's Day. I loved it - my mom was great at creating traditions and I never felt the lack of attention on that day. [Smile] This day makes me miss my mom. Shan, I love that you got stuff for your little boy today.

I have celebrated Valentine's Day with boyfriends before, but I don't remember them very well. Certainly not this year. However, I am having a very nice day. [Smile] There's all kinds of affection, and I think friend-affection counts. Thank you. [Hat] [Kiss] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
JTS,
If it makes you feel any better, my husband and I agreed to forego the whole Valentine's gift-giving thing.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Lady Jane. I so appreciate that Hatrack lets me opine about him all the time. Someday, I'd like to write a story about the merits of boy-children or some such something . . . [Smile]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
No problemo, Elizabeth. You can still give your husband a HappyValentine'sDay
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a significant other.

Guess what I'm doing on Valentine's Day?

Yea, mooching around my room doing homework and maybe working out with a friend.

Stupid Robots.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah blacwolve I know exactly how you feel. If anything special is happening today it will be a huge surprise because as far as I know the boy will be glued to his computer running his online RPG.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
JT, how did the accident story play out? How is your health? What about the legal issues?
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
My gift to Nathan:

www.madowl.com/old.jpg

I wrote on it:

I got you a computer. It awhile to find this. Had to be in our budget. It will get here friday. Good ol' Ebay. The guy said it can 't run doom, but the box looks nice on top of it. I hope you like it.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I get past my enduring singledom by seeing Valentine's Day as a perfectly acceptable reason to scarf an entire pint of Ben & Jerry's in one sitting. Unfortunately, I celebrated in this manner last week, and I should probably stop mocking the gym or it will turn against me.

(There is also the fact that my friend who insists on giving me valentines knows enough to ply me with Harry Potter and LotR. Wahoo.)

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
mack: [ROFL]

I hear they can display in color now, too.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Mack,
You should have photoshopped in a nekkid picture of you. Sheesh.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Stupid Robots.
Hey now. They do the best they can. [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
*laughs* He's on the FIRST Robotics team, and this is the last week for building, so the team is working crazy hours and generally not having time for anything else.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

Well CT, the way the accident turned out is quite simple. He ended up not having insurance and my insurance refuses to pay a dime under my uninsured motorist clause. They refuse to pay because they is absolutely no proof that it was his fault. As far as my health goes, well the ribs are mostly healed up. Thanks for asking...

*hands CT a hersey's kiss*

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
What I love about that computer ad: it lists a "6 ft. cord" and "upper and lower case" as advanced features. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yay, a whine thread about valentine's day.

This will be my third Valentine's Day apart from Bernard, two of them engaged. [Cry] Although the first Valentine's Day (ten days after we started dating) was the hardest. I'm growning used to it now, I guess... They'll be lots more to come for us.

Although I did get a spa treatment thing from my parents, and my Daddy gave me a rose this morning. I, on the other hand, gave myself a Valentine's Day gift and bought lots of chocolate at half price. [Big Grin] Gotta love sales.

So all in all, you could call my day a draw.

[ February 14, 2005, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: MaydayDesiax ]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry about that, JT.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] All of a sudden, I'm having a bad day.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
What's wrong, Katie?

You know you have lots of people who love you, right? (((hugs)))

[ February 14, 2005, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have anyone either. But I did something for my best friend, Kara, because she doesn't have anyone either. So I bought one of those giant cheesy novelty cards, you know the ones the size of a car door, and i put a bunch of pictures from movies in it (she LOVES movies) and put little funny valentines day quotes beneath them to cheer her up, and she really liked it.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
((Hatrack))

*gives cards to you all* [Smile]

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

I got chocolate from my Latin professor. Then again, so did everyone. And pure sugar from a friend (a DipStix or whatever those things are called).

I, however, will content myself with doing laundry, translating Greek, and watching the usual Monday night Stargate mini-marathon on SciFi.

In related news, one of the student papers here listed the top six romantic spots on campus. At number two was the Classics library on the ninth floor of Van Hise. Explanation: our Classics department is quite small - it only takes up 2/3 of a floor in the tallest building on campus (Van Hise). The library (hereafter called the Pilinger), is a small conference room lined with books and mailboxes, containing a table, eight chairs, a computer desk, and not much else. It's not romantic in the slightest. Nor does it have the capacity to be romantic. The only good part is the phenomenal view. My Greek class got a good laugh out of it this morning.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

***aside: Carrie, what year are you in school? Are you planning to teach? I happen to know a Latin teacher who is retiring this year...***end aside
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

- posted      Profile for Wonko The Sane   Email Wonko The Sane         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa. Lyrhawn's best friend sounds like my clone. Weird.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

***aside to reply: I'm finishing my undergrad this year, but I'm a Hellenist, and a Bronze Age one at that. [Smile]
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Carrie's post as 'I'm fishing in my underwear,' and thought, 'Wow! What a cool Valentine's Day tradition!'
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Whoa. Lyrhawn's best friend sounds like my clone. Weird.
You're a big movie fan Fiazko?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.