FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Come see our pets!

Author Topic: Come see our pets!
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
In case anyone is interested, here's some pictures of Leonide's and my pets. *Warning - mass amount of ferrets to follow(and a few kitties). Feel free to post some of yours pics too. Don't know if this has been done before here...probably. [Smile]

Smokey
Chomper
Bandit
Il Duche
Natalie
Emmy
Ollie
Lazy Emmy
A match made in heaven
Eyeing up the competition
Smokey the blob
Ollie's favorite hangout
Chomper being caught in the cat's food
The original three ferrets
Nap time

[ February 15, 2005, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Our cat hates ferrets.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Our cats are okay with them. They've gotten better over time.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
What no dogs?
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
So is this your way of balancing out the universe? By having both the best pets in the world (cats) and the worst (ferrets)? [Wink]

Emmy's about the cutest thing ever.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Can't have them in our apartment. But believe me, as soon as we have a place where a dog would be happy, and the resources to take care of one, we'll have one.
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Strider, I've been wondering what you got with the gift cards I gave you and Leonide. With that many pets, I'm guessing the gift cards came in handy.

Your animals are so cute. I wish I had a pet.

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you tell them apart, Strider? All ferrets look the same to me.

Farmgirl
One of my dogs

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

-From Leonide

Derrell, we got the kitties a feathery boa on a stick for them to chase, and the ferrets got some treats and a toy that the cats destroyed, and I got emmy a little wind up mouse.

So we got some pretty cool stuff [Smile]

Strider
Member # 1807

It's not that hard Farmgirl. First off, I started with just two, Smokey and Bandit. And they're easy to tell apart, one is dark and one is light. Then I picked up Duche, who looks sort of like Bandit, but is twice her size. Natalie and Chomper are very recent additions, but don't look like any of the other ferrets at all. They have alot more white. Natalie has some dark streaks though, so her and Chomper don't look alike.

But mostly, if you own ferrets, you have to be able to tell small animals like that apart. [Smile]

Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice Pictures.

Some of my bad quality webcam pictures (I'm poor):
Smokey ,or as I like to call him, Jabba.
Smokey again, though looking not quite as pissed off.
Smokey Up Close

My dog, Kyanna , looking somewhat afraid of the camera.
More Kyanna
And Again

I wish I had some better quality photos, but for now this is it.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I sometimes have trouble telling our two boy ferrets apart, as they're both light sables. Even more so in the summer, because when Harley's winter coat is in he has a V-mask, but his summer coat mask is just straight across, the same as Gizmo's. Harley's definitely heftier than Giz (he's our linebacker fert, very large frame and fat on top of that), but it's kind of hard to tell unless I see the two of them together.

That's a beautiful herd of furkids you guys have [Smile] My household is currently up to four humans, seven ferrets, four cats, and one Jack Russell Terrier, with complicated rules for who can mingle with whom, who is fed when, etc. We manage somehow.

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Your Ollie looks like my Linus. Only Linus takes on the jabba quality of Fitz's Smokey. (He's rather corpulent.)
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Me with Tiger at a dog show.

Another pic of me and Tiger.

My wonderful puppy dog Oscar Wilde.

Oscar's mom Molly.

Caliban the greyhound.

I don't have a good picture of my cat or my other shepherd, Robbie...but they are very cute nonetheless. [Big Grin]

[ February 15, 2005, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Avadaru ]

Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Tiger is beautiful!!!!

Although I feel I could just hug Molly....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

You have beautiful dogs Avadaru.

Fitz, my digital camera was mad cheap. Though i did write it off as a business expense, so i didn't actually end up paying for it myself. [Smile]

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is Bo, our giganto cat, and the most laid back cat ever.
This is Squeeky, our baby we raised from 3 weeks old.
This is our newest, Aiko. She is the most affectionate cat I've ever seen.

This is one of my favorite pictures - our kitties interpretation of Michaelangelo's Creation of Man.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, a digital camera is on my list of things to buy once I'm done being a lazy student.

Corpulence is a good feature in cats, as far as I'm concerned. Combine it with decadence and haughtiness, and you have my cat.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

That picture of Aiko is super cute. Emmy likes to sleep under the covers too. She comes up by our heads and begs to get in, and then goes and lies between the two of us, in the middle of the bed.
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- misses kitties

[Frown]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Corpulence is a good feature in cats, as far as I'm concerned. Combine it with decadence and haughtiness, and you have my cat.
Linus is smart, polite, and ready to bolt if anything looks or sounds even mildly threatening. Including, but not limited to, the toaster. I think he's corpulent because he's mildly neurotic, and it's how he soothes the fear that everything - animate and/or inanimated - is out to get him.

He's my favorite cat that I've owned so far. [Smile]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh! Is Natalie named after me!? [Smile]
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Not unless your last name is Nipper.

Actually, we didn't name Natalie or Chomper. Neither are Kira-approved pet names -- I believe that human names are to be avoided except in dire circumstances. As with my kitties, Emmy and Ollie, whose actual names (that Greg neglected to mention) are Artemis and Oliver. Artemis, being a goddess, is safe, but Oliver is a little bit tricky. I rationalize it by pointing out that Oliver has his own musical, so he's a fictional character and that makes everything ok.

I would never name a dog Jack, for instance. or Jake. or Missy.

Anyway, point being that Natalie is only OK cause I call her Nats.

And with Chomper, well, he's no Chomper. he doesn't really act like a chomper. He kind of acts like a sofa cushion. But he's four, so we couldn't just up and re-name him.

So anyway.

[Party]

[ February 16, 2005, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: Leonide ]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Bump to show pictures of my puppies. [Smile]

The large whitish one is a Great Pyrenees mix named Max; the smaller black and white one is a border collie/beagle mix (a borgle!) named Annie.

Puppies!

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Awwwwwwwww ...
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

[Big Grin]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
The Libbey Blog!

[Big Grin]

She's my first dog, and while she's still a big PITA sometimes, she's getting cooler and cooler every day! I can actually wrestle on the floor with her now without fearing for my life! [Wink]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Oh, very very cute! [Smile]
Myr
Member # 5956

- posted      Profile for Myr   Email Myr         Edit/Delete Post 
Precious! [Big Grin]
Posts: 105 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arevoj
Member # 7347

- posted      Profile for arevoj   Email arevoj         Edit/Delete Post 
my guys

Individually, Mo and Arthur.
Collectively, "the beasts".

[ April 08, 2005, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: arevoj ]

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Strider, I'm stunned by how much Smokey looks like my Diego, and how much Bandit looks like Frida. Diego was very, very similar to Smokey, but Frida looked *exactly* like Bandit.

Farmgirl, once you get to know the species they don't look any more alike than two dogs of a given breed do. People point to white german shepherds all the time and say "hey look, Griz!" (Griz being the white german shepherd I adopted from the pound in 91 or so). Invariably, the dogs look nothing like Griz beyond the fact that they're white german shepherds.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Worst ferret story I ever heard:

A friend in college had a ferret that liked to nibble the eraser end of pencils. The ferret played with it a little bit like a cat with a ball of paper tied to a string.

The ferret also liked to crawl inside people's t-shirts. His girlfriend was over one day and the ferret crawled down the neck of her shirt.

She wasn't wearing a bra. Guess what look like pencil erasers to a ferret?

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

::wince::

I saw that coming the second I read the word "pencil eraser".

A few years ago I was at a pet store playing with some kits. I really dislike pet stores, but I was wanting to play with a ferret, so I went anyway.

I had a nearly full grown, very rambunctious little guy in my arms, and he started licking the underside of my jaw. Should have been a warning sign, but I didn't pick up on it until I felt him chomp down on the tissue there.

You know how some ferrets can lock their jaws? This was one of those ferrets.

I have to say, it was worth it for the look on the attendant's face when she saw a ferret dangling from my chin. I had to work my finger in and pop his jaw open before I was able to get him off.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard of someone wanting or having a ferret as a pet before. I thought they destroyed stuff. What is it about ferrets that makes you want them as pets?
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
My friend used to have a ferret, and a big dog, like the "Tiger" from previous posts. The ferret liked to jump up, and the dog liked the swat it down. It was so sad. [Frown]

Anyway, those are some of the biggest dogs I've ever seen.
<-- has a miniature yorkshire terrier. [Big Grin]
about 7 pounds, he is.

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

quote:
a miniature yorkshire terrier.
Isn't that redundant?

I mean, aren't yorkies already toy dogs?

*is confused*

Noemon
Member # 1115

ProverbialSunrise, there are a number of things that make ferrets good pets. They have very strong, very distinct personalities, are playful, and are generally very, very intelligent. You know how cats will chase the light from a laser pointer? Ferrets figure out its source and loose interest. I caught my ferret once in the act of trying to get onto the kitchen cabinet by building a set of stairs out of empty Dr. Pepper boxes. They aren't big in terms of long term memory, but they're skilled problem solvers. They can definitely be destructive, but I've certainly had as much damage done to my stuff and the places I've lived by dogs and cats as I have ferrets--pets in general are hard on furniture and such.

Just typing this up, I'm feeling tempted to get myself a ferret. Not sure what my cat would think about that though.

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Awwww...now you have me wanting to get a ferret. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, they're small dogs, but this one's even smaller [Smile]
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.