FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm trapped and I can't get out! (A plea to the forum savvy folk--Mayfly thread)

Author Topic: I'm trapped and I can't get out! (A plea to the forum savvy folk--Mayfly thread)
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello friends,

I have been logged on to Hatrack on my computer for quite some time. No one that uses my computer frequents Hatrack, so it wasn't a problem. So, I randomly decided to try and log off today so I could sign on to another name that I registered a while back, but it wouldn't let me. The screen told me I was logged out, but it still says "Hello, hansenj" at the top of my screen. I tried to log out several times, and I even closed the window and opened it again, but to no avail. It's sucked me in forever!! [Angst] How can I escape?

[ February 18, 2005, 02:39 AM: Message edited by: hansenj ]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Take the red pill. [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you should delete your cookies. That might fix it.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Not the red pill! Take the blue one.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
You can sign out any time you like
But you can never leave.

[Evil]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

[ROFL] Man, I love Hatrack.

Hey! You are so smart, Morbo! I deleted my cookies, and it worked. My other login doesn't exist anymore...oh well.

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Glad to help.

"Delete your cookies."-- what an odd phrase. Maybe
"upload your cookies" will become slang for barfing someday.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to lose your login by barfing up your cookies? Somehow that doesn't seem possible. Your login is stored somewhere in Hatrack serverland, not on your home computer. At least that's always been my assumption.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

I don't know what happened to Jennie's other login name she can't access, it is on HR servers. Jennie, you may have made a minor typo and not realized it. I have done that often when changing screen names.

Deleting cookies just erases the screename from the browser session. Which is why you can't login if you have cookies deactivated.

hansenj
Member # 4034

Hmm...I'll try again, but the problem is I don't think I remember my password. I thought it would give me a screen that told me I had the wrong password, but instead the screen said there was no such name on Hatrack.

*goes to try again*

hansenj
Member # 4034

Yep, no luck. Still says there is no such name. I tried to find a lost login by entering my email addresses and this login is the only one it found. [Dont Know]
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Do a user search for a topic you know youposted in, and then go from there.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

I never posted under that screenname...I was saving it for a rainy day. [Smile]
Jennie
Member # 7397

- posted      Profile for Jennie   Email Jennie         Edit/Delete Post 
No worries. [Smile] I registered the name again. Only thing lost is whatever lower member number the other name used to have. Thanks for the help! I'll delete this thread in the morning.

Oh hey, wasn't there a time a little while back when all the names that had never been posted under got deleted? Fuzzy memory...

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

That quote fit SO perfectly, rivka.

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I remember that people were talking about the board being wiped clean of all names that were not used, or something like that. I huess that is what happened to you, as well.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*bows*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't get the point of deleting threads where you asked for help. First off, why delete it? You're going out of your way to do something and I'm not sure why the extra effort is important. Second, there may be people who are having the same problem as you did. If this thread's left around, they could read it and it would help them too.

I'm not trying to be insulting or anything. I just don't understand why there's this idea that threads asking for brief help should be deleted after they get an answer.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

That makes sense, I'll leave it. [Smile] I was just trying to not be obnoxious.

Thanks to all for the help, once again!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.