FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What do you hope heaven will be like?

Author Topic: What do you hope heaven will be like?
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I was always drawn to Arthur Dent's situation at the beginning of Mostly Harmless. Being the venerated sandwich maker of a pre-industrial society.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Two words-Celestial Library
Every book ever written. Even versions of books that never got published, that the author just thought of while riding on a bus to work.
All of my books would be there. There would be an unedited, original version of the bible translated into English.
You could actually read the first concious thoughts of the universe translated into any language you want!
And, most of the people there would have wings for flying from one shelf to the next. The food would be spectacular and I'd have my own carrol where I'd spend 5,000 years studying everything I am interested in.

Also, there would be the music collection to consider... Albums that don't even exist yet would be there! Original recordings of Mozart conducting his own symphonies *Wistful sigh*

[ February 18, 2005, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I like to imagine too, Syn. [Smile] Plus, one huge set of gilded encylopaedias containing everything mankind never figured out.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a two-week period in Detroit that is my mental image of heaven.

I was very close to my companion. We were completely united in our goals, ethics, and intentions, but split the labor. I loved and adored my district (larger family), where everyone got along but no one was being disobedient. We were having success and heartbreak in our work at the same time, but neither was attribuatable to personal qualities. I was close to the Lord and having a rush of answers to prayers. In a phrase, I was completely committed to the purpose of my existence, doing my best, with a perfect support system, and had regular communication from the Spirit. It's as close to heaven as I've ever come. I want it to feel like that. I think it might.

[ February 18, 2005, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
It will be so awesome that my current human mind can no way comprehend or vocalize it.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
It will definitely be cooler than the coolest thing I can imagine: My own private full size movie screen in high definition with every movie ever made available. On a tropical island with no bad weather. And an endless supply of chocolate that doesn't melt in the warmth. Yeah, I think that does it.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
"There was no pain.. no fear no doubt, till they pulled me out.. of Heaven..."
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
a full scale, full motion VR simulator of any and everywhere you want to go in time and space to find out what it was/is/will be like would be way cool.

The best description I've seen, though, is "The Great Dance" section of C. S. Lewis's Perelandra
(for a full excerpt see here and scroll down to "The Great Dance")
quote:
"Where Maleldil is, there is the centre. He is in every place. Not some of Him in one place and some in another, but in each place the whole Maleldil, even in the smallness beyond thought. There is no way out of the centre save into the Bent Will which casts itself into the Nowhere. Blessed be He!"

"Each thing was made for Him. He is the centre. Because we are with Him, each of us is at the centre. It is not as in a city of the Darkened World where they say that each must live for all. In His city all things are made for each. When He died in the Wounded World He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less. Each thing, from the single grain of Dust to the strongest eldil, is the end and the final cause of all creation and the mirror in which the beam of His brightness comes to rest and so returns to Him. Blessed be He!"

"In the plan of the Great Dance plans without number interlock, and each movement becomes in its season the breaking into flower of the whole design to which all else had been directed. Thus each is equally at the centre and none are there by being equals, but some by giving place and some by receiving it, the small things by their smallness and the great by their greatness, and all the patterns linked and looped together by the unions of a kneeling with a sceptred love. Blessed be He!"

"He has immeasurable use for each thing that is made, that His love and splendour may flow forth like a strong river which has need of a great watercourse and fills alike the deep pools and the little crannies, that are filled equally and remain unequal; and when it has filled them brim full it flows over and makes new channels. We also have need beyond measure of all that He has made. Love me, my brothers, for I am infinitely necessary to you and for your delight I was made. Blessed be He!"

"He has no need of anything that is made. An eldil is not more needful to Him than a grain of the Dust: a peopled world no more needful than a world that is empty: but all needless alike, and what all add to Him is nothing.We also have no need of anything that is made. Love me, my brothers, for I am infinitely superfluous, and your love shall be like His, born neither of your need nor of my deserving, but a plain bounty. Blessed be He!"

"All things are by Him and for Him. He utters Himself also for His own delight and sees that He is good. He is His own begotten and what proceeds from Him is Himself. Blessed be He!"

"All that is made seems planless to the darkened mind, because there are more plans than it looked for. In these seas there are islands where the hairs of the turf are so fine and so closely woven togethre that unless a man looked long at them he would see neither hairs nor weaving at all, but only the same and the flat. So with the Great Dance. Set your eyes on one movement and it will lead you through all patterns and it will seem to you the master movement. But the seeming will be true. Let no mouth open to gainsay it. There seems no plan because it is all plan: there seems no centre because it is all centre. Blessed be He!"

"Yet this seeming also is the end and final cause for which He spreads out Time so long and Heaven so deep; lest if we never met the dark, and the road that leads nowhither, and the question to which no answer is imaginable, we should have in our minds no likeness of the Abyss of the Father, into which if a creature drop down his thoughts for ever he shall hear no echo return to him. Blessed, blessed, blessed be He!"

[ February 18, 2005, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, that is the coolest description of what I hope for Heaven too. I'm going to probably be thinking about it all day now. Lovely [Smile]
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
One word...

Jiggly!!!!!

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Jim-Me, what's odd is that I read that description and it sounds as horrible and hyperbolic as the most nightmarish vision of Lovecraft.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
To each his own, Tom. I liked it, but perhaps you had to be there [Smile]
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
An infinite, portable IV morphine drip. I have tasted heaven already, but human bodies cannot keep it forever.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
As a missionary I was asked by a 9 yr old girl what it was like. Since I don't know for sure, I copped out and asked her, "What do YOU think it will be like?" She got a puzzled expression on her face and then her 8 yr old sister interrupted with, "I think in heaven we ride horses and eat marshmallows". To which I replied, "You'll probably be able to". That was the end of that.

[ February 18, 2005, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: peterh ]

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
A tangled garden.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Recordings? Mozart will be conducting his own symphonies, including some new ones. Musicians who loved their instruments throughout their lives would think of Heaven as Hell if they couldn't play.

And cats would still be getting underfoot to trip people. Hey, they got their own idea of good times [Big Grin]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Two words-Celestial Library
Wow, I hope so. [Big Grin]

I'm definately gonna be flyin' around. I've always wanted to fly.

Aaaaand, maybe in heaven I'll have TALENT! At anything! I don't care, just gimme something! [Razz]
*hopes*

[ February 18, 2005, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Tater ]

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Jim! You get 5 Anniepoints for quoting my favorite book!
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
See, what's creepy to me about the passage Jim-Me quoted is that it's a short step from there to Lovecraft's description of Azathoth.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Like the city, only without the violent crime.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
A Celestial Library is my hope too. I'm a lifelong bibliophile.

And Tom, I've read Lovecraft's description of Azathoth...wasn't he described as being an 'idiot god' type, not truly aware of anything or a understanding it's place in anything?

That doesn't seem to be what the Lewis passage describes.

[ February 19, 2005, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.