Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pound

Author Topic: Pound
Clincher
Member # 7395

- posted      Profile for Clincher           Edit/Delete Post 
Why is the abbreviation for pound 'lb' when l or b isn't in the word pound? Couldn't they have used 'po' or 'pd'? Was the word from another language originally that had a l and a b in it?

Who invented this stuff, it doesn't seem right. Sure right now it seems right since we all got used to seeing 'lb' as pound, but when it was first abbreviated, were people thinking the person was an idiot? Kilogram is kg, they should of kept it consistent.

[ February 18, 2005, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Clincher ]

Posts: 27 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
because it is an abbreviation for the word libra, which was a latin word that had to do with weight measurement.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
And why is # both the number sign and pound sign?
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clincher
Member # 7395

- posted      Profile for Clincher           Edit/Delete Post 
British money is 'Pound' too
Posts: 27 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the situation with England and the Euro?
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
Arrrgh, I can't find the page again, but I saw a great history of the octothorp once.
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
It was his idea! ---------------> Click me!
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And why is # both the number sign and pound sign?
Gah. It may be in America and Canada but it's not elsewhere, at least in my experience.

This is a pound symbol to me: £

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What is the situation with England and the Euro?
It ain't happening, basically. The government keep saying that when the economic requirements are met for us to come into line with the Euro-zone nations, we'll get a referendum on the subject, but all the opinion polls show that the government would loose the vote by a huge margin. People like our money. It has humming birds on it.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, well, France had Le Petit Prince on theirs and it didn't stop them. [Grumble]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this thread was going to be about Ezra Pound.
Boy was I wrong!

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was going to be about poor kitties and puppies and bunnies with no home. [Dont Know]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
So did I.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought this thread was going to be about Ezra Pound.
What's with the Ezra Pound revival lately, anyhow. They guy was a Fascist propogandist and virulent anti-semite. Insane, sure, so was Hitler. It's giving me the heebies.
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.