FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Updated: Henna Party Photos Rounds 1 and 2 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Updated: Henna Party Photos Rounds 1 and 2
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I was the only one with a camera. Unfortunately, I was a cheapskate and bought a bad camera a few years ago. Oh well, you'll get the idea.

Fortunately, no one got pictures of me bellydancing.

Dinner was excellent, fun was had.

[ February 20, 2005, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: Intelligence3 ]

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
with a napkin rabbit, no less!

Looks like a fun time. [Wink]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Pictures of I3! Are you going to be around tomorrow for me to meet you?
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool pics! Looks like you all had fun.....as it should be.

Carry on!

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you were able to take pictures. I thought in the original thread (way back when) they specifically forbid any pictures since CT was going to be there.

Farmgirl

I3 -- you look nothing like I thought you would, whereas the Williams' folks (Posable Nurse and KrabbyPatty) look just exactly as I pictured them [Big Grin] And I think I had already seen a photo of Brian at dkw's house, so I knew what he looked like.

[ February 19, 2005, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
The napkin monster is awesome. [Big Grin]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
I will be around later Ryuko!

Yes, I broke down and put a photo up. I considered photoshopping something fun over me to keep the joke going, but it was too much work. [Smile]

quote:
I'm glad you were able to take pictures. I thought in the original thread (way back when) they specifically forbid any pictures since CT was going to be there.
I took the camera out while she was away for the table for a few minutes, we warned her that there was a camera, and I gave her my solemn promise that no photos would be attempted.

[ February 19, 2005, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Intelligence3 ]

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Although I do wish you would spell "Lebanese" correctly at the top of the photo page...

[Big Grin]
FG

(wait - did I spell it right?)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Strictly on looks -- it looks to me like ElJay and Brian really favor their mother's side (and those two siblings really look like siblings!) and dkw favors her dad's looks more.

My 2 cents. Not that it is important.

Farmgirl

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I'd always pictured Int3 as looking like ElJay would if she were male. I hadn't realized this until I saw a picture of the actual Int3 though. Odd.

I had no idea that Dana and ElJay had a brother! Am I right in thinking that he's the only family member that hasn't made an appearance here?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

Ack! I missed that. Fixed.

Man, I wish I still had GoLive so I could fix that with a few clicks.

Intelligence3
Member # 6944

quote:
You know, I'd always pictured Int3 as looking like ElJay would if she were male. I hadn't realized this until I saw a picture of the actual Int3 though. Odd.
I am pretty, but not that pretty. [Wink]

[ February 19, 2005, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Intelligence3 ]

Intelligence3
Member # 6944

quote:
I took the camera out while [ClaudiaTherese] was away for the table for a few minutes, we warned her that there was a camera, and I gave her my solemn promise that no photos would be attempted.
Which, by the way, is a shame. She's so flippin' beautiful it's quite selfish of her not to let the world know.

No one with a radiant smile should refuse photos. Ever.

End of (complimentary) rant.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
That is unacceptable, and I am starting revolution!

CT pictures NOW!!!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I had no idea that Dana and ElJay had a brother! Am I right in thinking that he's the only family member that hasn't made an appearance here?
He hasn't posted personally, but Porter linked to his website once. I did a spit-take.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Really? Did he know he was your brother at the time he posted the link?

FG

dkw
Member # 3264

Nope.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

quote:
That is unacceptable, and I am starting revolution!

CT pictures NOW!!!

I gave my word. That means something to me. [Big Grin]
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
so, where's all the henna?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

No boys allowed for the henna-ing.

It's getting cold out here on the stoop.

xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I am talking to everyone right now! [Big Grin] Sounds like they're having fun.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I were there. Hey, xnera, did you/are you going to that concert thingie that you said was in Chicago this weekend? I can't remember what that was.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Y'all sounded like you had such fun that I did go out to see if I could find henna locally. I found it at Community Pharmacy! What a very cool store. We've also been finding chocolate there and the Burt's Bees day creme I went looking everywhere for.

I had no idea it was so inexpensive. As I told a few of you on the phone, I tried a kit before my wedding with poor success (which was about $20) and have had it done at a couple of festivals by Indian women where you pick out a design and they apply it for $20-60. The henna I bought was a little over $1 an ounce, which is more than enough for a good sized design. I've got it mixed and sitting now and will try a design either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Hope everyone is having a safe drive back and I'm looking forward to a gathering when Sophie is feeling better. She was much better today, but is raspy/coughy again this evening and a nasty diaper rash from the antibiotic despite my greatest efforts with diaper changes and sneaking her yogurt. We're hoping for some actual sleep tonight, though. *keeps fingers crossed*

Yay for pictures! I can't wait for the actual henna ones. [Smile] I'm still so excited that Crabby Patty was henna'ed as well (what a cool gal, I can't wait to meet her) and everyone's designs sounded so neat

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Neat that you're trying it, Christy!

I wish you guys could have been there, Theca, xnera, Christy, and AJ! We talked about doing it again in the summer, when people will be able to actually see the designs... dkw and I might come out that way, or we would be more than happy to host here again.

I'll post the pics soon... mine is definitely the lightest of anyone's, I think my body chemistry must not react as much with the henna. And Sara did such a beautiful design on my back! I might try to go over the ankle one again in a day or so, and see if two applications makes it darker.

I'll get the pics up soon... relaxing now! Sara and Julie headed off around 5, and promised to post when they hit Madison.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey, xnera, did you/are you going to that concert thingie that you said was in Chicago this weekend? I can't remember what that was.
It was Nobuo Uematsu's "Dear Friends" concert featuring music from the Final Fantasy games, and no, I didn't go. *cries noisily* I really really really really really wanted to go, but I checked for tickets as soon as I made my decision to stay home this weekend, and they were all sold out. [Frown]

I have his name and the concert on Google Alerts. What I'm going to do is take a long weekend sometime and go see it when it plays in another city. [Smile] So far I know it's going to be in San Franciso next month, but that's a bit early for me to get away, financially. I'm very impatient for them to announce another date. I'm sure there will be at least one more, because he's supposed to be doing a U.S. tour, and to me, two dates does not make a tour.

I was going to do henna today, but I ended up sleeping most of the afternoon (as usual), and I don't have the stuff to mix it, so it will have to wait until tomorrow. And I would very much love to get together with everyone sometime in the summer. [Smile]

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
It never occurred to me to try henna by myself. Of course, I hadn't planned on trying it even if I had gone, I had been planning to just crochet and admire everyone else's designs. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghost of dkw
Member # 4046

- posted      Profile for ghost of dkw   Email ghost of dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob and Smokey and I are home. We had some serious snow and rain on the way. Hope everyone else makes it home safe.
Posts: 40 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Smokey didn't get any henna, either.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm home! [Smile]

Vana left here about 20 minutes ago, and I expect she'll be home within an hour, maybe a little more.

I missed xnera and Christy so much. Our sisters were there in spirit with us. And little Sophie, too, as she is one of the Strong Women that Rock the World.

Tired, happy, all hennafied up and with a bunch of neat new friends, and closer to some cherished ones. What an awesome, awesome trip. The most charming family, I3 as the wry James Bond of techland, Bob being so very Boblike it was freaky, the enigmatic Brian of the awwwwwwww, Paul as the engineer that could (and did), the wit and sparkle of the non-Krabby Patty, Vana ever-young and soul-deep, Ryuko all smiles and dancing wings with her friends Terri and Lisa, and oh, the best ... a roomful of fantabulous women in various stages of undress, saris on the windows, Middle eastern music playing in the background, lemon-ginger beer, baklava and Turkish Delight.

All laughter and scrolling designs and powdered-sugar lips. [Smile]

What a ball!

Thank you so much. I have to head off to bed now, as I haven't had this much excitement since the original WenchCon. [Wave]

[ February 20, 2005, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

[Smile]

Glad you made it safe. And I'm glad you had a good time.

Vana will post when she gets home too, yes?

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

*deliriously happy

So glad dkw and Bob_Scopatz made it home safe. We had flurries on the way out, but mostly we rode ahead of the storm once we got out of the Twin Cities area. Whew.

G'night, all!

[Yes, she should. I will be calling her cell in an hour and a half if we haven't heard from her. I'm setting an alarm. ]

[ February 19, 2005, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

It's a-snowing something fierce here right now. I realize that going home early was the most logical choice, but nevertheless I wish you had taken my feelings on the matter into account. [Wink]
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I3, you could be Bob's little brother. Glad you all had fun, sorry we couldn't be there.

CT, you still gonna come out here to visit?

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm home now! Safe and sound, but still a little disappointed that we had to cut our trip short. Though it is good to hear - thanks, I3 - that our decision was a good one.

Oh, it was so wonderful - I did so many new things in so little time! New foods to try, getting to watch a belly dancer, and body art! And getting to spend time with all of you - I mean it, it was just wonderful. Thank you all so much.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

A very good one... I'm going to be shoveling tomorrow! [Smile]

Okay, everyone's home safe, I can go to bed. Goodnight, Hatrack. [Wink]

Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Goodnight, everyone!

[ February 20, 2005, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: Vána ]

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like fun was had by all. [Big Grin]

I think I've definitely been watching too much Stargate . . . this shot, which initially struck me as ElJay having silver finger stalls on her left hand, made me flinch, "Goa'uld!" [Eek!]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[Smile]

[Wave]

(we did, I will, and right on.)

Intelligence3
Member # 6944

Yay! Everyone's safe.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, I didn't check in, what if I wasn't safe? [Razz]

I had a terrific time, and I'm glad everyone else did too. I loved the music and the henna and everybody. Sweet and awesome. [Smile] I hope to see y'all again soon. (hugs)

Unfortunately, the plastic wrap smudged my wings a bit. Ah well. I still looked terrific in my dress, I'll post pictures as soon as they're available. [Smile]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

Wasn't worried about you. Who'd mess with Ryuko?

[Razz]

Did you have fun at the dance?

ElJay
Member # 6358

Okay, so in the interest of getting these up promptly, I let iPhoto make the webpage for me, so it's just the pictures without description/commentary. Warning: There's a lot of skin in these pics. Viewer discretion is advised.

Oh, and all the pics are with the henna still on. So they look very dark... that's the wet henna paste. When we brushed it off the designs were light to bright orange, and will continue to darken over 24 - 48 hours. Hopefully, everyone will post pics of their finished artwork over the next few days.

Okay, okay. Here's the link.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Those pics are great! It's almost like being there. Except for the lack of seeing everyone in various stages of undress and not getting to laugh again with all of you.

I would just like to say that:
1) I got to meet Sara!!! [Big Grin] She has a very lucky hubby and she is very lucky herself, from what she told us. Yippee!!!
2) Spending some REAL time talking to Vana was good -- Kamacon wasn't enough quality time, you know...
3) I3 -- I will miss you when you leave for San Diego, but it sure was nice to meet you. Everyone says what a great person you are. They're right!
4) My future in-laws are the best people I know.
5) My napkin bunny is scarier than Brian's napkin bunny.
6) ElJay's house is very cool. The renovations upstairs are inspired! It's a very warm & inviting home.
7) Ryuko is like family. [Wave]

8) And I hope that I get to see Tom, Lime, David along with their spouses at the next henna gathering. Maybe we can time it so there's a demolition derby or monster truck show in town for the guys to attend. [Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

- posted      Profile for KrabbyPatty   Email KrabbyPatty         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to hear all the travelers made it home safely - although I, too, am sad the party ended early because of the weather. (Good decision - we have about five inches of fresh snow and it's still coming down. It is gorgeous, though . . . big fluffly flakes like someone shook up a snowbowl.)

It was really great to meet CT, Vana and Ryuko. We all had such a good time - at the Lebanese restaurant (we closed the place!); at brunch Saturday morning, with ElJay making CT's yummy pop-overs and dkw making her killer egg scramble; and then the "women-only" time at ElJay's. What a caring, intelligent, creative bunch of people - and what a special feeling to be welcomed into that group! Thank you all!

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Hi, Bob! [Wave] At the breakfast table, I kept glancing at you out of the corner of my eye and yammering to myself "It's Bob_Scopatz! It's Bob_Scopatz!" I like to think you didn't notice the embarrassing fangirlishness.

Don't disillusion me. [Smile]

Hey, Ryuko, it was so fun to meet you. I can't wait to see the dance pictures!

I3 is a perfect gentleman, and I am forever in his debt. What a delightful man. Trust me -- we just barely salvaged a real gem. Don't let go of him, Hatrack.

Rereading my fumbling half-asleep post last night, I realized I never mentioned ElJay. This is odd, because I've been talking about her since I arrived home. It is a bit scary for me to praise her, because her light shines so brightly that I almost don't want to draw attention to it. ElJay, I can see why you're forever beating them off with a stick. It isn't just the physical beauty, although that surely plays a role. I spent nearly an hour adorning the graceful wings of your shoulders: alae, the wings of the scapulae. Along the spine, a cadaceus for health and a lotus blossom for the unfolding of enlightenment.

May you continue to shine forth so strong and beautiful, vibrant with inner health and joy. Thank you for a marvelous weekend. [Smile]

[As regards the blushing bride, to her I'll be devoting my next landmark: "Mehndi my Broken Heart." [Smile] All my love to you, Dana. And thank you.]

[ February 20, 2005, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

KrabbyPatty, it almost broke my heart to leave. Vana and I were soooo glad that snowflakes had already started to fall by the time we got out to the car -- we agreed that without that unmistakable reminder, we couldn't have left.

Thanks to you and Paul again for opening your home to us. Minnesota is certainly not a cold place in my heart. [Smile]

dkw
Member # 3264

Okay, I know I said I'd share the contents of my gift bag with Bob, but that was before I tasted the white cheddar with cranberries.

Wow, that's some good cheese.

*hoards*

ElJay
Member # 6358

I3, if you see this and get a chance, could you change the title to reflect that round 2 photos are up? I didn't think they needed their own thread, but I want to make sure the people who are interested see them. [Smile]
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

I am forever at your disposal. [Smile]
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as you're there, why don't you run a lemon down it? I've been noticing that that that drain has been smelling kind of foul the the last day or two.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.