FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Veterinarians, please

Author Topic: Veterinarians, please
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
*not for the overly squeamish*

My dog's been vomiting rather a lot. Yesterday she vomited twice inside, fairly solid. Today she's been coming up with a lot of bile.

In general, I'm paranoid. My first cat started doing this nearly every day and died not long after. If anyone can help, please do. I've been checking on veterinary websites but few allow symptoms searches, and we don't have the money to go to the vet if we're not sure it's serious.

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Questions from my husband (a long-time vet tech):

How old is the dog?
How large is the dog (i.e., what breed)?
Has there been any change in diet?
What color is the vomit?
Does the vomit look like mainly food, like you can see pieces of it, or is the food broken down, or is the dog vomiting bile only?
Did it start yesterday?

He also says you can try fasting the dog for 24 hours-- give only water-- and see if it improves. It might improve if it is just an upset stomach.

The bad things it could be: eating a foreign object, such as a chew toy or sock, eating rat poison (but the vomit's not green, right?) or something else poisonous, or it could be something age-related or very serious that requires the vet to diagnose it (like, lab work).

If the dog continues to vomit after fasting, vomits blood, becomes severely dehydrated (if you pull up on the skin and it doesn't return to where it was right away), seizes, has diarrhea as well, or anything else like that, take the dog in immediately.

You probably want to call your vet and check it out with him. Most vets don't charge for a short phone consultation in cases like this.

[ February 20, 2005, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
It may be that your dog swallowed something toxic. Call your vet, and describe the symptoms as well as you can. Also take your dog's temperature. If it was a horse, I would say look the mucous membranes and listen for gut sounds, but then horses don't vomit, either.
Your vet should be able to tell you whether to bring the dog in(that's where I'm leaning) or they may be able to tell you how to help it stop at home. (Assuming you have a good vet.)

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichelleEly
Member # 6737

- posted      Profile for MichelleEly   Email MichelleEly         Edit/Delete Post 
Call your pet. It could be a lot of things - some minor, but some deadly.

If it's something like gastric torsion (bloat) time is of the essence.
Michelle

Posts: 152 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
*fingers crossed

Keep us updated.

Bilious emesis in a child would make me worry about small intestinal blockage, but it seems (from a brief web perusal) that this may be more commen in dogs. I have no idea how to advise you. [Frown]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
She's about two years old and 85 pounds (mix of lots of stuff). She's eating the same stuff as normal. the vomit is clear, or occasionally frothy yellow. Yesterday it was plants, my mom's roses. Today there's no food in it.

For the most part she seems fine. She's thrown up twice today: once on unknown provocation and once directly following a belly rub. Otherwise she's just as alert as usual and shows no signs of discomfort.

We don't have any rat poison or really poison of any kind in the house. If she'd eaten something large, well, she usually end up throwing the whole thing up at once, and none of her chew toys seem to be missing.

I've been giving her lots of water, but she doesn't really want to drink it. My mom gave her some Saltines earlier in hopes of settling her stomach.

We're going to try to get the vet's office.

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know if anyone already knows this but be careful if you use swifer wet jet. This product contains antifreeze (sweet but deadly to pets) and if your pet walks across a newly swifered floor and then licks its paws it could potentially be harmful to your pet.

good luck with your dog-hope everything goes well and it isnt anything toxic.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It might have been the roses, but it never hurts to call the vet. (Saith my husband.) If she's doing okay and comfortable, you probably don't need to go to the emergency clinic or anything; talk to the vet, and if he wants you to come in, schedule an exam the next time they're open.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichelleEly
Member # 6737

- posted      Profile for MichelleEly   Email MichelleEly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I dont know if anyone already knows this but be careful if you use swifer wet jet. This product contains antifreeze (sweet but deadly to pets) and if your pet walks across a newly swifered floor and then licks its paws it could potentially be harmful to your pet.

good luck with your dog-hope everything goes well and it isnt anything toxic.

I'm sorry, but the Swiffer info is an Urban Legend: Swiffer Urban Legend Verification

The product is made by Proctor and Gamble though which is notorious for its inhumane animal testing - but that's another topic!
Michelle

[ February 20, 2005, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: MichelleEly ]

Posts: 152 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister's dog used to vomit fairly often.

The vet said it was because her dog ( a yellow lab) would wolf down her food so fast and then often shortly afterward would end up vomiting it back up.

She was instructed to give her less food at a time -- much smaller feedings at more frequent intervals, so the dog couldn't just gorge on food.

That seemed to work well for that dog, at least.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Did your dog spend a few days shaking?
Cuz a friend's dog ate a bagful of chocolate brownies snagged off a counter, then had symptoms similar to what you describe.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
Anthro,

I’m glad you’ve decided to take her to the vet. I hope you can bring her in first thing in the morning. School is out today, right? You can be with her at the vet. Please keep us posted.

Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.