FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mahna Mahna

Author Topic: Mahna Mahna
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else seen the Mahna Mahna Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper commercial?? I can't get enough of it.

Here's the original Muppet show skit, which is actually even funnier.

Dagonee

[ February 20, 2005, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen that Dr. P commercial. ::chuckle:: Thanks. [Smile]

That second link does not link to the muppet skit. Which is sad, because I really would like to watch it.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It requires QuickTime - works fine on my browser.

If you have QT, try right-clicking the link, saving it to disk, and then playing from your desktop.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Try it now - you'll have to click a link on the page that comes up.

[ February 20, 2005, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Got it to work. [Smile]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The question is, what is a mahna manhna.
[Big Grin]
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I almost fell out of my chair when I first saw that Dr. Pepper commercial. I loved it [Smile]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That made me spit rice and stir fry all over my lap, narrowly missing the keyboard.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Dagnonee, I love you. (In a purely platonic way, bunbun.) I sign the orignial mahna mahna song all the time. Doing both parts myself, if my siblings aren't around to join in. Thank you so much for linking to the video, I have bookmarked it. [Big Grin]

Although they did continue tha game in little bits throughout the rest of the episode, with the pink guys chasing the mahna mahna guy around. Still, I had forgotten how fabulous the visuals were. Yay yay yay!

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

For scraps of cloth with Os for mouths, they sure could do "this guy is nuts" looks very well. [Smile]

By the way, bunbun is the one who found it. She's rather fond of all things muppet.

[ February 20, 2005, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

[Smile] I have three of the 25th anniversery Best of the Muppet show DVDs... The two that are sitting here have guest stars Mark Hamill, Paul Simon, Raquel Welch, Elton John, Julie Andrews, and Gene Kelly. I think I loaned the third to someone, and will probably never get it back.

I haven't watched them all yet... I kinda ration them.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to wait for a braodband moment to watch that.

But I must recommend Cake's version of Mahna Mahna... fabuloso!

Also - did anyone else ever watch the short-lived Muppets Tonight? It was a 90s re-do of the Muppet Show, but just as brilliant as the original. There's this one episode with Sandra Bullock and she does a sketch as a psychiatrist. Kermit comes to her with a problem he has with these singing pink creatures. Sandra says, "Hmmm... that's an interesting phenomenon"
"Doot doooooo doo doo doot," a chorus of pink creatures sings.
She looks intrigued and repeats "Phenomenon"
"Doot doo doot doot..."

[Big Grin]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
How have I missed a Cake version of Mahna Mahna? How, in the name of all things holy?
Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

It's on an all-star CD called "For the Kids," and you can get it on iTunes.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I liked the giant catfish! Awesome giant catfish!

*hurries off to iTunes*

Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
I do love that commercial!

Occasionally when things get boring or when a subject change is called for, I will launch into a round of mahna-mahna, head banging included. And Eljay, I understand the loneliness of doing both parts in the absence of background singers.

Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

[Smile] I need some background singers to follow me around, apparently, waiting for an outbreak of mahna mahnas. *giggle*
Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!!!! I am not the only one. I repeat. I am not the only one. On second thought, I wonder if that's a good thing.

Hmmmm. Every single time that commercial comes on, I spend the rest of the day singing it. Sometimes, I bust it out. Sometimes, I sing it under my breath. I think it may have something to do with how the sound of the "words" feel in my mouth.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I never would have spelled it like that. More like munaw-munaw.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I spell it "mana-mana", usually. But that's just me, I never took the time to look up a spelling. [Smile]

Annie, I loved that skit! It was riotous!

And ElJay, it's on DVD? O_o I must have it. I love the one with Paul Simon and Miss Piggy singing "Scarborough Fair". It makes me laugh so hard I cry-- every single time.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

That would be one of the ones I have, kq. [Razz] Sooner or later we'll end up at a gathering together, and I'll bring it along.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Were I spelling it, I would say Manah Manah - makes the ending syllable more ah-like. But the way Dag spelled it is the way the Muppets spell it.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
dkw and I sing this in the car a lot.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved both skits, though I prefer the original to the Sandra Bullock. The commercial tickles me as well, and I even like the soda!
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
The Mahna Mahna song has been a treasure for me and my stupid friends for a while. Shout out "Mahna mahna!" at any point in time in the apartment and there is a 100% chance that you will very faintly hear someone sing "doot doooooot doo doo doo!"
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Neither link work for me........I've seen both in the past........I love both......when that commercial came on......I was singing too..........
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Steve, that's great...........Do you like the ones with Sandra Bullock? She's really great in it.......The original's better tho...... [Wink] [Razz]
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

They're all funny........and whoever started this thread spelt Mahnanana Mahna(I don't think that is how it is spelt either) wrong........and of course spell check or a dictionary can be of no real help..........why can't nonsense words be in the dictionary??? [Dont Know] I use them all the time so they must be important.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I spelled it the way the Muppets spell it. If it's good enough for Kermit, it's good enough for me.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*watches the point of her post go right over his head*

*sighs*

*goes to take headache medicine*

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Dag- Ok....ok.....I'm sure Kermit is a spelling genius [Razz]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Wall Bash] ............................................ [Wall Bash] ................................ [Wall Bash]

Please?

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
A little more info on the song
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
now I'm going to have that song going through my head! [Wall Bash]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, this song has been in my head all day. I've finally just given in and I have it an mp3 of it looping. I love it! [Smile]
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh MAN. That was great, thanks Dag. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
This was the song they were singing in the first season episode of BBC's "The Office"!

Oh, man. Thanks for the link, Dag!

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I got in trouble while in the Army for using that as a cadence...adn teh funny part of it was that the rest of my platoon KNEW it!

So there we were, marching down the street in AIT, singing manahmana..doot doot dee doot doo....

[Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

[ROFL]
Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

[ROFL] Kwea.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That is one of my favorite memories of the Army...not that there were many good ones to start with, but.....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DragonLover
Member # 7387

- posted      Profile for DragonLover           Edit/Delete Post 
Chicken! Oh and that is funny! I like that commercial!
Posts: 26 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

DL, what's with "Chicken!"? I've seen it a couple threads. I don't get it.

Just curious,

bunbun

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Kwea, that is insanely hilarious. How did you even think of that? Did it just come to you as from Heaven itself? [ROFL]
DragonLover
Member # 7387

- posted      Profile for DragonLover           Edit/Delete Post 
I just like chickens. They are my favorite animal. I ask you what animal is more graceful or courageous than a chicken? I like turkeys too. I made a little song.

Hi-o Billy Bob Joe. Mr. Turkey says hello.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

OMG! Frank you are a complete nut! As if singing that in school isn't enough now you have to post it on the internet? I'll slap you.

Oh and- I told you he was weird! [Big Grin]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.