FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My Induction to Canadian Culture

Author Topic: My Induction to Canadian Culture
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
So, after many years of shocking people that I had not tried it, I had Tim Horton's coffee the other day. So many people have told me how great it is and how horrible it is that I hadn't tried it. So when my boss asked me if I like coffee and I said yes, he bought me some. I must say, I'm rather disappointed. It is highly over-rated. So for all you Americans out there, if anyone ever says that you simply must try Tim Horton's coffee, just say no. However, do buy a doughnut instead, because they are good and worth it.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate coffee. I always order a doughnut and hot chocolate when I go to Tim Horton's.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
Mind if I keep this as evidence for later, Rei? I believe a certain someone I know has been saying how not-special Tim Horton's is for about a year now. [Razz]
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I really like Tim Horton's sandwiches: nourishing, not fried/greasy, satisfying.

The coffee? Eh, well, I'm a tea woman.

[ February 20, 2005, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a tea woman too. [Smile]

And I've been forbidden to drink coffee by a former voice teacher, so I guess that settles it.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I started drinking coffee occasionally last winter. There was, unsettling as it may be, something quintessentially Canadian about walking through a blizzard in the a.m. hours, clutching your coffee and trying to ignore the world by blasting your brain with stimulants. It's a weird thing, coffee; somehow drinking it connects us to those who have had it before. Some sort of transliminal coffee intertexuality... indeed I could go for some snooty imported coffee, black turtleneck and a beret right now.

Anywho, Tim's is loved because it has somehow engrained itself into our cultural consciousness. As corny as it sounds, for many people there is something about drinking it that bonds you with everyone else in the country that does it, though I bet they wouldn’t describe it as such themselves. Sure there's lots of caffeine, and delicious wax on the cup, but there's also a certain je ne sais quoi. Plus, y'know, it's cheap and everywhere.

[ February 20, 2005, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Bob the Lawyer ]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard anyone praise Tim's Coffee. It's okay, I guess, but it's standard coffee from a standard fast food place!

That makes me sad.

All of what Bob said is true, especially:

quote:
There was, unsettling as it may be, something quintessentially Canadian about walking through a blizzard in the a.m. hours, clutching your coffee and trying to ignore the world by blasting your brain with stimulants.
YES.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim Horton's is Canadian? Never knew that...and there are like a billion here in Detroit.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Mind if I keep this as evidence for later, Rei? I believe a certain someone I know has been saying how not-special Tim Horton's is for about a year now. [Razz]

yes I do mind...especially as that same person thought that Tim Horton's was famous for their bagels...heaven knows how she got that impression when it's obviously their doughnuts (which I adore over even Krispy Kreme)
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't drink coffee. Or tea, most of the time.

But I LOVE Tim Hortons' chili in a bread bowl. I could live on that stuff. [Big Grin]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only person here who's never heard of Tim Horton?
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I never had 'til I came to hatrack. It's been mentioned here a couple of times before.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
What ElJay said.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

ah you poor souls...I'd mail you all some doughnuts, but somehow I think they'll be a little less than up to snuff after travelling by post for a couple days...
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like their coffee, but I don't like coffee in general. They make a pretty good english toffee capuccino, though. As for the food, it's alright, but not great.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim Hortons is just standard fare, not bad, but not great- it gets by on its "Canadian-ness". It's cheap food and universal in Canada (and apparantly American border cities), so you know what you're getting.

[Dont Know]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a coffee drinker, so I have no comments on their coffee. I do miss their doughnuts and timbits, but I just miss doughnuts and timbits in general - there aren't any in this country that I know of!

My sister and her family are in the Maldives right now, 400 miles west of here, and have been since Septeber/October, and she has gone on and on about missing Tim. I doubt it's the quality of the coffee necessarily as much as it's just coffee. This is a tea area, and coffee is difficult to find. The grocery store will have 20 or 30 brands of tea with their many varieties, but one or two types of instant coffee. Sanka being the most common.

I think she's been having caffeine withdrawal. [Big Grin] It's kinda funny to watch. [ROFL]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.