FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » GROW, a game for all ages

Author Topic: GROW, a game for all ages
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
My neice Kylie, who is nearly three years old, recently was asking me to let her play a game on my computer, so I let her play Grow . I thaught it would be one she could have fun with, and she could just point to which object she wanted to play next. She really seems to like the game and kept asking to play again. on her first try she got all the items but the pipe and the robot to their final levels (which is better than i did my first try).

I was going to post this in the thread that was made before about grow, but couldn't find it.

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Marek! Haven't seen you around in awhile, I'm glad to see you posting. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

hmm, guess it has been a little while. [Dont Know]

oh and I also recomend the highly addictive game Tontie , i have gotten all the way to level 20 so far. [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get this game. My husband would probably love it, though.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan Here.

I totally got this game. It was posted a while ago, and it's still cool.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't get the robot maxed out, not even if I start with the cube as my first object.

Grr.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so confused.

Is this supposed to be hard? I just dragged all the objects onto the thingy.

I am so lost. [Confused]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I can never get more than 3 objects maxed. There doesn't seem to be any particular pattern to it...
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
cool, I just got all but the pipe the cube and the egg to max level.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused too. Is there any rhyme or reason to this game? Or are you just trying to find the correct order to get them all maxed out?
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Finding the correct order to max them all out IS the game. [Smile] It's actually pretty easy if you know how to count and are willing to write things down.

[ February 22, 2005, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I did it! Without counting or writing things down. But damn, it took long enough.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a frustrating game!
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, sweet victory. Now I'm going to have to see if I can make all the "evil" options happen.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Freaking freak. Flippity. Frack. This is a frustrating game.

Crap!

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
I take it no one's trying Tontie ? It's a much more straightforward game, to me at least. And I've gotten to level twenty too [Big Grin]
Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to try Tontie now. I gave up on the other one a while ago.

Edit: I've played this before! It was frustratingly fun if I remember correctly!

[ February 22, 2005, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: MidnightBlue ]

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Lets see, I can make the evil tornado, the evil mountains, and the evil ladder, and there can't be an evil windmill, I think (due to it needing to leave for the evil tornado to appear). Can anything else be made evil? I haven't been able to make the pipe do any different so far, but perhaps it can be made evil (the lake of lava would suggest that).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Julie! I haven't seen you in ages! How are things? [Wave]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

there is a way to make the ladder evil?
fugu13
Member # 2859

Not very evil, but off the normal path and caused by one of the evil things. Under the right conditions, the evil tornado will lightning zap the ladder, causing it to have evil purple power zooming.
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
there is a way to make the ladder evil?
Yah, everytime you reach the top of it all you can see is the floating head of Tony "Bomba" LeFay.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

I've been busy, so I've been lurking a lot lately.

In Tontie, what are the instructions saying for Level 7? Do you lose life for not hitting the things with the ball and chains?

Raia
Member # 4700

Well, it's nice to see you again!
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
This game on the same site is pretty fun. I've only tried it a couple of times. Top score is 15.8

[ February 22, 2005, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
woo hoo! I did it and I didn't even cheat! Now to make everything evil...
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

you lose life for hitting it, unless you have the bronze, silver, or gold hammer.
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a mace! I spent a whole day trying to figure it out way back wen. And you don't lose life for not hitting it.
Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

I just beat level 20 of tontie! [Big Grin]
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
there are now two new versions of grow!

this one: GROW, the RPG version which kylie seemed to like, but played only once

and this one: GROW Cube which kylie has asked to play many times, she likes watching the little guys run around, and i have no clue how to get it to max out.

Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

Aslo, the RPG version is really weird
Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
The stupid people in the cube take too long to do their thing every turn. Nonetheless, victory is mine.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
BtL, how long did it take you?

I refuse to be drawn back into trying to figure out the grow game, because I don't have mind strategic enough to recall combination. I get frustrated and then I explode.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

Yesh, they do seem to take forever, and there is a ton of stuff that happens after the RPG is done, which kind of annoys me at times.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that long, Teshi. 20 minutes? The main chunk of this one is pretty easy. Heck, it's the weekend. What else are you going to do?
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

so far the best i can do on RPG is get all but one to max out.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehehehe. The RPG is amusing. I got smashed.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
ahhh... GROW... this was the game that I spent two days mastering last year instead of writing a paper. It's fun, it's addicting, and heck, it's a complete waste of time. Why not give it a try today?
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
AAGGGHHH!! I am now addicted!
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

The RPG is even easier. Wee, well. That's done.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What else are you going to do?
I'm going to research and write an essay that explains the actions of one of the "actors" during the Suez Crisis as seen through either three levels of analysis or through various theories (liberalism, realism, constructivism, etc.) and then I'm going to say which one best explains said actions.

Believe me, GROW would be a lot more fun.

And BtL, I've spent way longer than 20 minutes playing that game and my brain just can't tabulate information enough to do it that fast. To do it would require me taking notes.

You're some kind of scientific person, aren't you?

EDIT: There's no such thing as the Suex Crisis, although I'm sure it would be far more interesting than the Suez Crisis.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got the cube sussed. I liked the way it ended... now, if only I hadn't spent my whole day doing that instead of working lol!
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the Grow Cube a lot more than the sphere. Took two hours of my life that I'll never get back, but hey, it was pretty entertaining. [Smile]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got the cube and the sphere this morning. The cube was much easier and more entertaining. If the RPG didn't take so long, I would be trying to beat that as well. Grow is pretty fun!
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

i am doing really badly at the cube, i think. The more times i play, the less it advances.

Can anyone at least tell me which item goes last?

Grisha
Member # 6871

okay, figured it out, wow, that was a neat ending.

though i wish the wrong combinations had more "evil endings" like the original one did.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Grisha, where's that game that you had to find a path through by pushing the cursor keys and the ball would fly until it hit a wall or fell off the edge? That one looked really addictive to me.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm borderline addicted to this mahjongg solitare game.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.