FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Spring Break Planning - Canoeing

Author Topic: Spring Break Planning - Canoeing
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine and I have spring break starting this weekend, and we've decided on a canoe trip. Unfortunately, we haven't quite figured out where to go yet. We're in SE Michigan, and we figure on a day's drive.

So far, we've narrowed it down to five rivers:
*Buffalo River in Arkansas
*Pearl River in Mississippi
*James River in Virginia
*Ocmulgee-Altamaha Rivers in Georgia
*Pee Dee River in South Carolina

This is the website we got our ideas from. Anyone have any experience/reccomendations?

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

Anybody...?
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The James is good, as long as you're canoeing the part above Richmond. Unless you have very good whitewater experience and are using airbags, Hollywood is probably too difficult for canoes. Not bad for kayaks or rafts (in fact, it's rather easy).

North of the city is great, but you'll need wetsuits. I've tubed down from Scott's landing down a couple miles. It's great - picturesque, good water, not too remote.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
A little cold for that now, isn't that? [Angst]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

I have some whitewater experience, but not enough that I want to do any real rapids this time of year with a loaded canoe. We're hoping for about a five-day trip.

Kwea - Not really. That's why we're going south, anyways. [Smile]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Virginia was in the teens over the weekend.

North of the city is easy pickings in a canoe, but I don't know how long it is.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

quote:
Virginia was in the teens over the weekend.
[Big Grin]
IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

- posted      Profile for IrishAphrodite19   Email IrishAphrodite19         Edit/Delete Post 
I came in here to tell you that my parents had been on the one in Georgia and loved it, but then I realized you had said the Ocmulgee-Altamaha rivers and not the Okefenokee Swamp. I read the 'O' and 'Georgia' and thought Okefenokee, oh well.
But, to get back on topic, the Okefenokee is a good place to go as well if you want adventure as well. The alligators are cool.

~Irish

Posts: 554 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

That looks cool, though the alligators give me pause. [Smile] Unfortunately, camping trips are limited there this time of year.
Miro
Member # 1178

Well, we didn't actually go canoeing. We were about to load the canoe on the van and drive off when we realized that the both of us were looking forward more to the road trip aspect than the canoeing part of the trip. So we decided to leave the canoe and just start driving.

In seven days we:
  • slept in the car six nights
  • discovered the joys of showering in gas stations
  • visited 11 states (MI, IN, IL, MO, OK, TX, NM, AR, TN, KY, OH)
  • camped in the second-largest canyon in the US (Palo Duro, TX)
  • logged over 3500 miles
  • stalled four times
  • spent a night in Cuervo, TX (a town that consists of a gas station, a couple houses, and a lot of abandoned cars)
  • got pulled over twice (including my first time ever)
  • saw the largest cross in the US
  • walked around a closed museum
  • made it from Ann Arbor, MI to Albequerque, NM and back
It was the most spontaneous thing I've ever done. [Smile]
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh...Palo Duro Canyon was pretty. It's been several years since I've been there, I was only 9 or so. I remember a spot where your echo would bounce like crazy if you shouted.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
The Illinois is pretty any time of year!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.