FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » HalleluJah Versioning

Author Topic: HalleluJah Versioning
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I'm not talking about the Messiah - I have Trevor Pinnock's version.

Nor BWV 140 - I have both Gardiner and Gonnerwein (as well as others).

I'm talking about the song whole lyrics follow:

quote:
I heard there was a secret chord
That David played and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you
Well it goes like this the fourth, the fifth
The minor fall and the major lift
The baffled king composing halleluJah

halleluJah...

Well your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you
She tied you to her kitchen chair
She broke your throne and she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the halleluJah

HalleluJah...

Baby I've been here before
I've seen this room and I've walked this floor
I used to live alone before I knew you
I've seen your flag on the marble arch
But love is not a victory march
It's a cold and it's a broken halleluJah

HalleluJah...

Well there was a time when you let me know
What's really going on below
But now you never show that to me do you
But remember when I moved in you
And the holy dove was moving too
And every breath we drew was halleluJah

Well, maybe there's a god above
But all I've ever learned from love
Was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you
It's not a cry that you hear at night
It's not somebody who's seen the light
It's a cold and it's a broken halleluJah

HalleluJah...

(Note: Sory for punc, I had to capitalise and correct spelling, no nergy for punc.!)

Anyway, I downloaded it sung by Leonard Cohen (I think! He has the accent of FDR - undefined; not from the British Isles, and apparently not from North America), and the "Soundtrack of Shreck" - unfortunately, I never got to see the first of the 2 films. It is from the first, no?

So, who has it sung best, with a well-played melody, touching ballads, with not too much vibratto, and sung passionately?

JH

P.S. Thanks in advance!

P.P.S. If you're wondering why I capitalised the "J" in halleluJah, it's because people in English write "He", "You", "Me" - capitalised - when the one refered to is god. The "Jah" bit in Hallelu-Jah means "God", ("hallelu" is a command - "Praise!".)

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
As an aside: "Jah" is actually a shortened version of "Jehovah," which is God's name in the Bible.

[ February 22, 2005, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
JH, you like Bach? [Big Grin] That's wonderful news.

I don't know the song you posted, but the lyrics are interesting.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps we should set an exhaustive list of versions of this song:

Leonard Cohen wrote it
Jeff Buckley did it
Rufus Wainwright does the version from Shrek
Tori Amos ought to do it

any others?

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
JH, you like Bach?
Who can compete with Him? I just tried to persuade my dad to buy these (hope this link works).

He is the one and only... I like BWVs 1066 to 1069, 140 (movements 1, 4 and 6), the last movement of 147, Goldberg, "Mache Dich" and "O Haupt" from the St Matthew Passion, Brandenburg, "Dona Nobis Pacem" from the Mass in B Minor, BWV 540 [Toccatta, of course], and the Fugue of 565.

These are my highlights.

But that's not the point! I'm going for the Buckly one at this moment. Possibly better ones exist?

JH

P.S. Thanks, again.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
From allmusic.com

All the artists who have covered Cohen's "Hallelujah" (which I spell whithout capitalizing Jah because Cohen didn't capitalize it, and capitalization of a work of art can be overriden by the artist so there [Razz] ):

Angelou
Bono
Chris Botti
Jeff Buckley (my favorite of the ones I've heard)
John Cale
Carrie Clark
Leonard Cohen (obviously)
Allison Crowe
Julie Felix
k.d. lang (see above note on capitalization)
Patricia O'Callaghan
Dale Turner
22 Brides
Rufus Wainwright (also very good)

and appeared without an artist listed on these albums:

Dead Zone [TV soundtrack]
Irish Christmas Rollick
Lit Riffs
Piano Strings Soundtrack Tribute to Shrek
Piano Strings Tribute to "The Passion" (wtf!)

I've only heard the Buckley, Wainwright, and Cohen versions.

[ February 22, 2005, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: IdemosthenesI ]

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Ben has Jeff Buckley's recording (from the album Grace) and Leonard Cohen's (from More Best of Leonard Cohen). Of the two, I prefer Buckley's.

I know that while I like the Rufus Wainwright version, I don't like it as much as I like the Buckley version. But it's been a while since I've heard it, so I don't know whether I prefer it to the Cohen.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh ... my heart pitter-patters.

You should know that Cohne has written and revised something like 100 verses over the years for this song. The ones listed above do not exhaust those recorded.

Just a happy note. [Smile]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the Cohen version I mentioned (which is the only one I know I've heard) had at least one additional verse.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Reminds me of the Bible.

19362136214^84369264234 different versions, and HalleluJ/jah.

JH

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting links:

http://www.allisoncrowe.com/press/05010901.html --article about the song
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pilgraeme/hallelujah.htm -- LC quotations about the song
http://www.webheights.net/essential/notes.htm -- liner notes

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooo. Tori Amos totally should do this song
I like Jeff Buckley's version of it best, but mainly because I love Jeff Buckley.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
*One more vote for the Jeff Buckley and Rufus Wainwright versions*
Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
CT, cool linkage!
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie, it's not simply a shortening; it's a different (but related) Name. (According to Jewish tradition, anyway.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I LURVE Jeff Buckley. *swoon*
And I love that song.

Shame he died... [Frown]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
And so young too. You should hear his dad. Sadly he met a simular end, but because of drugs, but DANG could that man sing. Of course they tried to overproduce him like they did Nick Drake, but what a voice.
You should get Song of the Siren by Tim Buckley.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I aquired the Wainwright version somehow and I like it, but I've never heard any of the others.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Bono's version is actually quite good. I like Cohen's best, though, mainly because if ever a song was matched to the voice of the original author, it's this one.

Amos did a version of "Famous Blue Raincoat," and everyon who wants her to do this one is right. It would be amazing.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
Ralphie, it's not simply a shortening; it's a different (but related) Name. (According to Jewish tradition, anyway.)
Really? I didn't realize that our understanding differed. I'd be really interested to hear what the relationship is according to Jewish tradition. [Smile]

edit: Unless you're referring to 'jah' being used as part of other Hebrew names, such as Elijah, Abijah, etc... in which case the names would have meanings referring to God. Such as "Elijah" = my god is Jehovah, "Abijah" = my father is Jehovah, etc...

In the context of the transliterated hallelujah, (the Hebrew expression ha·lelu-Yah'), I would think considering that it's inviting worship the invitation would be to worship Jehovah, and that "Jah" would be a sort of single syllable, poetic license.

[ February 22, 2005, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

The Tetragrammaton is indicative of God's complete nature -- absolute unity; past, present, and future, all together.

The two-letter name commonly used as a suffix (I would say "Kah" unless praying) name is single-tense. It also has less sanctity -- hence its use in names and words like hallelukah. And I wouldn't say it is "inviting worship." Rather, I would say it is a declaration of praise.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Interesting. Thanks for clarifying that tradition for me, rivka. [Smile]
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Rufus Wainwright version and I quite like it, but I haven't heard any of the others. [Smile]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
I would say "Kah" unless praying.
Yeah, well, I do not publicly scream the Tetragrammaton in school [despite my virtual-knowing of the Nikkud/voweling (my theory is the combination of the three from "was" "is" and "will be", whereas a friend of mine proposes that it's using the fourth time-tense's structure - "Yaf'el"), which is something I'd never discuss with my teachers] - but using "Kah" instead of "Jah" and "Kel" insteal of "El" (more so "Adoshem Tzevakkot") - seems a bit overdone to me.

Again, I'm not saying that you should change your current use, rivka, and I'm not coming to contradict it or arise controversy; just stating that in my opinion enough is to sensor Ji-ha-vve with Adonai. (HalleluKah, I'd say, is overdone, just like G-d, since His or Her name is not even in English.)

All a matter of opinion, and I stated mine. No hard feelings? [Wink]

JH

[ February 23, 2005, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

rivka
Member # 4859

I don't believe anyone currently living knows the correct nikkud for the Four-Letter Name, Jon. (But I like the concept of a fourth tense, although I have trouble enough with the three usual ones. [Big Grin] )

As to whether you consider His Names to have sufficient sanctity to only use them unchanged when praying . . . well, that's between you and Hashem, and no concern of mine. [Smile]

lifeonabicyclem4
Member # 8209

- posted      Profile for lifeonabicyclem4   Email lifeonabicyclem4         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:
Perhaps we should set an exhaustive list of versions of this song:

Leonard Cohen wrote it
Jeff Buckley did it
Rufus Wainwright does the version from Shrek
Tori Amos ought to do it

any others?

Sowwie for digging up this old thread, but as a Rufus fantatic, I thought I should say that Rufus only does the song on the soundrack, but another artist entirely performs the song in the actual movie.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka just linked to this on GC, so I had to comment - I absolutely adore the k.d. lang version. Something soulful about her voice makes it way better than Buckley or Wainright.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite is definitely the Jeff Buckley version, though being a West Wing fan may have made me a little biased.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Go Jeff Buckley!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Leonard Cohen is a genius songwriter and poet, and this is one of his best songs. I concur with everyone else who likes the Jeff Buckley version best. Buckley sounds so awesome.

Leonard Cohen is Canadian.

Tori Amos does perform a cover of one of his songs (but not this one) on a LC tribute album called 'Tower Of Song'; the song is called

Famous Blue Raincoat

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
The Tea Party have also performed this song. They played it during their song "Save Me" at their Tea & Symphony concert with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - it's great knowing that people resurrect my thread months later.

Well, thanks, I guess. Especially lifeonabicyclem4 and Annie!

Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, no problem. Beating dead horses is a speciality of mine. [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
How sweet! *Smile.*
Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.