FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So, I've never moved like this before

Author Topic: So, I've never moved like this before
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never completely relocated before. I've moved across town, and I've temporarily relocated, but the only permanent relocation I've ever done is from my home town to Minneapolis for college. 18 years at home, 17 years here.

So what are the things I need to do? I've got the following list of tasks:

Find apartment in San Diego
Finish all contracted work
Get a "new" (used but new to me) car
Get the cat all her shots
Get my medical/dental/optical records
Tidy apartment and cull extra belongings
Meet with the movers
Arrange for a cleaning service
Finish my taxes
Take discards to charity
Get friends' addresses
Pick up dry cleaning
Get new computer to replace loaner
Get new glasses
Get new CPAP mask
Make "I've moved" postcard to send to friends
Transfer bank account to San Diego location
Eat at all my favorite restaurants
Hug my niece, like, 3000 times

I'm sure I'm missing things. What are they?

added:
Utilities
Post office
Subscriptions/bills
Veterinary records
Videotape apartment
Figure out license and registration for CA for car and motorcycle
IRS addresss (have accountant change)
Perscriptions
Insurance
Avoid dancing naked in front of new neighbors

[ February 22, 2005, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Intelligence3 ]

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Cancel utilities?

Maybe figure out where you're going to do laundry when you get to San Diego, if you don't have a washer and dryer there. If you do, then problem solved. [Smile]

How about selling your parka and buying some shorts?

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Change address with all banks, brokers, magazine subscriptions, insurance companies, and former employers in case they send you W-2s and things. Those handy little cards from the post office don't do it, for some reason.

Get maps of San Diego as soon as possible.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Get your friend the list of people to invite to your going away party that you promised would be here this morning.

(Since I haven't checked my home e-mail in about 30 minutes, I sure hope it's not sittign there. [Smile] )

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
fill out change of address form at post office. send change of address to creditors and magazine subscriptions.

edited for spelling and to add that I realize you may not want your creditors to know your new address, [Wink] but they might get upset if you don't notify them.

[ February 22, 2005, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Derrell ]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
You've never moved before? Wow, in a way I envy you! I've moved... *counts on fingers*... seven times. I hope I didn't miss any.

Intel: My main bit of advice is just to relax. [Smile] It's not as stressful as it may seem! *hug*

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Along the same lines as what Lady Jane said, contact the post office and tell them you're moving and have them forward mail to your new address.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

*Idly wonders what's on the favorite restaurant list*

*Starts making own list to compare*

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Raia. [Smile]

I'm a planner, both for a living and as a personal avocation. I like planning. [Smile]

ElJay, sorry, I was out all morning. I sent it.

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Buy a beach towel, lots of shorts, sunscreen...

I lived in San Diego, not far from where you will be. I loved the weather. Didn't love paying 700 for a room in a 3 bedroom apartment.

Make sure to head to the beach often [Smile] . Pacific Beach was where I mostly was, since I lived there, but Ocean beach is better IMHO.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

quote:
*Idly wonders what's on the favorite restaurant list*

*Starts making own list to compare*

Quang's
Jasmine (yes, two Vietnamese on the list, sue me)
Fuji-Ya (what? we didn't know I was leaving last time)
Little Tijuana (yes, it's bad compared to what I'll get in CA, but at 2AM it tastes good)
Kieran's
Harry Singh's
Hell's Kitchen (that had better be with you)
Sunnyside Up
Broadway Pizza

Already accomplished:
Porky's Drive-In
Black Forest
It's Greek to Me

What am I missing?

[ February 22, 2005, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: Intelligence3 ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

[Smile] There were four of 'em I knew would be there.

Hell's Kitchen for breakfast the day you leave? Assuming you're leaving sometime after they open.

Intelligence3
Member # 6944

That would be divine.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
*relieved that ...

Pack a "necessaries" bag to get you through the first two weeks, just in case something goes wrong with the movers and your stuff.

Before you move, also
1) get a copy of the cat's medical records
2) consider getting a videotape record of any important stuff before the movers get there
3) stop buying new food stuff & use up what you have left
4) clean out your safety deposit box, if you have one
5) defrost freezer in advance (if applicable)

Before you move into the new place, make sure it has
1) sufficient power outlets in all the rooms (I once didn't notice that an efficiency had a total of one outlet)
2) something on the windows to hide your blushing glory on the first night
3) utilities set up

Don't forget to
1) get a new driver's license and car registration (if relevant) through the new state
2) IRS change of address
3) get dental records too
4) transfer prescriptions (if any)
5) update your car insurance policy (if relevant)

[ February 22, 2005, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

What about The Sample Room and Cafe Barbette? Or do you only go to those places 'cause I like them?
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

Doh! Yeah, dang, forgot about those restaurants. And Psycho Suzi's, but I was just there a couple weeks ago.

Hmmm, maybe I'll clean until late and go to Little Tijuana tonight. [Smile]

CT- Good list! Thanks, initial post updated.

[ February 22, 2005, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Intelligence3 ]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

It is one way to make a whole lot of new friends. And you've got the moves down now.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

[Smile] I was just coming back to ask about Psycho Suzi's.

Pick a Monday night before you leave and I'll take you to Barbette for the tasting menu.

Intelligence3
Member # 6944

It's a date!

BTW, the movers will collect my stuff on the 7th!

I may have to stay with friends for a few days.

[ February 22, 2005, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Intelligence3 ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Before you move into the new place, make sure it has
. . .
2) something on the windows to hide your blushing glory on the first night

I don't know if it's a state law or just an L.A. thing, but rentals here are required to include window coverings in all bedrooms.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Are you driving out to CA or having you car shipped and flying?
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

I think I'm actually gonna just buy a car there. I'm going to go look at a few on Thursday afternoon here in town, but it seems to make more sense that way.
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Awww. I was hoping for a video of you breakdancing or something.

*sigh*

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
The title of this thread makes me think back fondly on my first few bellydancing lessons. That, and it makes me picture I3 as Napoleon Dynamite.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Or l3 as Napoleon Dynamite bellydancing...

Huh...

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

quote:
Or l3 as Napoleon Dynamite bellydancing...
This is pretty much the worst video ever made.
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Like anyone could even know that.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
*also thought this thread was going to be about dancing of some kind...*
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Get a "new" (used but new to me) car
You should buy this in California, so you can fly out there or drive the U-haul yourself, depending on if you're getting movers.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I suggested he get the car out there as it will be less likely to have rust damage from salting snowy roads. [Smile]
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

Movers, no u-haul. I don't even have to pack.
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

Oh, and they will move a car.
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I still suggest trying sdreader.com for some info.

The Field is an excellent place to eat. My friend and I decided it is a every other day place. However, we don't have the time to go every other day. [Frown]

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

quote:
I still suggest trying sdreader.com for some info.
I tried it. Unfortunately, since I know NOTHING about the city, I have no idea where any of the listed apartments are. It was becoming time-consuming to search all the addresses. Especially since the first 10 I tried were too far from work.

[ February 23, 2005, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Intelligence3 ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.