FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Which Romantic poet should I read next?

Author Topic: Which Romantic poet should I read next?
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I first got into Coleridge and thus Romantic poetry via Iron Maiden. To this day it is my favorite style. I have most (possibly all) of Coleridge's poetry, and a book containing some of Byron's poetry as well as his prose. So far, Coleridge is by far my favorite, though I am far from finishing Byron. When I do, who should I read next? (Yes, I could search the Internet, but I would rather have answers from people I know at least a little bit about.) I am leaning toward Blake, or maybe Keats. Also, are there any recommendations of a lesser-known Romantic poet? I am only aware of the big six. I have read at least one or two poems of the other four, but only the relatively famous ones. I am less interested in literary significance as opposed to mere enjoyment and appreciation, and have far too little exposure to and experience with poetry in general.

As a secondary question, is Byron worth buying a comprehensive collection before moving on? The book I have contains parts of Childe Harold and Don Juan, apparently all of Beppo, and a fair amount of shorter poems. Should I complete Byron before moving on? I have not reached the excerpts of Childe Harold or Don Juan yet.

Finally, I will eventually finish all of the Romantic poetry. Any recommendations (Online or offline) of a) other (especially later) styles or poets I would be likely to appreciate, b) any female Romantic poets, c) detailed commentaries on Romantic poetry or poets, d) any major influences of one or more Romantics, or e) good biographies of the big six? While I tend to read first for enjoyment, I also like to learn other opinions on value, meaning, and talent. I always read the introductions to any books I buy before starting the actual work, but those tend to be pretty short. So far, W. H. Auden's introduction to Byron has been depressingly accurate.

Random thoughts - I have a hunch that I will like Blake better than Coleridge. For the most part, I prefer short to medium length poems over long ones because it is easier to complete them without interruption. Interruption of poetry is worse than interruption of a novel or short story. This thread makes me feel more prententious than an English/Philosophy double major in a coffee shop. My only saving grace is that I really do consider Jim Morrison a poet of slightly above average talent. [Cool]

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
You ought also to dabble in Romantic poets of other countries. I'm thinking specifically of Goethe's Faust when I make this recommendation. Kaufmann's translation is the best. Rubén Darío and Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer are great Latinamerican Romantic poets whom I adore.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Lady Mary Wortley Montagu

William Wordsworth

Have you tried Percy Shelley? He's not my favorite, but some of it is amazing.

W.B.Yeats - he IS my favorite. Part Romantic, part Modern poet.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Keats is my favorite. I love Yeats, too, but in a different way. I like Wordsworth, too; Shelley isn't my favorite, but readable.

My suggestion: get yourself a second-hand copy of the Norton Anthology of English Literature, Volume 2 (it can be an old edition; the Romantic section stays pretty much the same). Read their selections from the Romantics and decide who you like best. Then get more of what you like. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if Tennyson's romantic, but in my mind he goes together with Byron, so he might be and he's definately my favorite poet.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh! I can't believe I forgot Tennyson! I love Tennyson.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
No question about it: Blake.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Blake is a Romantic? Are we thinking of the same Blake?
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

William Blake is not part of the core group of Romantics, but, yeah, he is generally considered one.

He's certainly much more of a Romantic than Tennyson.

And Yeats isn't a Romantic. He's part neo-Romantic, part something else.

But all that aside -- I'm not too keen on such labels. The point is that if Danzig likes Coleridge and Byron, he should read Blake. Yes, Keats and Shelley and Worsdworth, but first: Blake.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeats isn't a romantic, no, but we'd said that already. I agree Blake is wonderful, but I just wouldn't put him with the Romantics. Yes, everyone should read him, but his style and themes are so different from the Romantics, I just hadn't classed him with them before.

(Of course, I read most of these poets entirely on my own, with no instruction, so what do I know.)

[ February 23, 2005, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

kq:

You are right. I really should read the comments more closely.

----
RE Blake:

It's all how you define Romantic. And defining literary schools/styles/trends/movements is always messy and difficult.

------
Regarding lesser-known Romantic poets:

Romania's most famous poet Mihai Eminescu. The best translations of his work are those of C.M. Popescu -- who lived a rather Romantic life himself.

He produced all of his translations of Eminescu while in his late teens and then was killed in the 1977 earthquake that devestated Bucharest and other parts of Romania.

EDIT: UBB Code.

[ February 23, 2005, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: Zalmoxis ]

Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
When I read romantic poetry I have the urge to vomit. I will try to refrain from making further negative comments. [Smile]

edit: Yes I do know that romantic poetry refers to poetry from a certain era with certain themes, and it is not just neccesarily love poetry.

[ February 23, 2005, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: Allegra ]

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
John Donne. Must have John Donne.
Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

I killed the thread. How rude of me. I will attempt to resurrect it.

John Donne writes about the intertwined-ness of the sensual and the divine.

Discuss.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
John Donne is a little early for a romantic [Smile] . He was a contemporary of Shakespeare. I recommend Keats; he has some pretty powerful poems. Wordsworth is a milder romantic (meaning he has less angst than Keats or Coleridge), but still good.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely love William Blake. There's also some very good American Romantic poets you might want to look into.

Do me a favor: don't read Romantic German poetry. Myself, I am a diehard German (Deutschland! whoo!) but I can't abide any German Romantics.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Coleridge. "Kubla Khan" is one of my favorite poems in the world. I always feel like I'm just on the verge of getting it. The man was an excellent writer. Better than horrid Wordsworth.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

I never remember what era poets come from. I have time dysmorphia [Wink] . Still, John Donne rawks!

Wordsworth has always annoyed me. Too flowery or something.

Coleridge, though, is very very good. The story of Kubla Khan is fascinating, and the words used have a delightful feel in one's mouth.

I suggest reading the poetry out loud, btw. It's great fun!

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I know bugger all about formal English literature stuffy stuff. So hey, tell me about the Romantic poets. Who were they? What distinguishes them from other poets? Why are they called the Romantics and other people aren't? What are their central themes and why should I want to read them?

edit: Oh and I'm a Blake fan. I've read Colleridge and found him interesting. Never really had much to do with the rest, although I've caught a bit of Donne here and there. I'm not really much for reading poetry, although I enjoy listening to it being read.

[ February 23, 2005, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
You should go back a few centuries and read the Wanderer. I just did and it blew me away.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
Basic primer on British poetry in the Romantic period fo Mr. Squicky. The Romantic period in Europe is framed by a few specific dates. 1789 was the French Revolution and a clear marker of ideas of individual rights and freedom. 1798 marked the publishing of a book of poetry called 'Lyrical Ballads' by Worsworth and Coleridge. It is generally said to end at the beginning of the Victorian period which starts with Queen Victorian's ascension to the throne (roughly).

There were a group of poets who lived and wrote during this time period and seemed to write on similar themes. Specifically they emphasized: a balance between reason and emotion, the importance of emotion to humanity, individual rights and individualism, the importance of nature and an appreciation for the natural world including God's presence and a spirit of the divine in nature.

Six of the more well-known Romantics were William Blake , William Wordsworth , Lord Byron , Percy Bysshe Shelley (whose wife was Mary Shelly Frankenstein ),Samuel Taylor Coleridge , and John Keats.

Of course everyone has their favorites and their favorite poems by each poet, I've linked to some of my favorites by each poet. Other random facts, Coleridge and Wordsworth knew each other well, and published their works together. Likewise, I believe Shelley and Byron were associates of some sort. Keats was born the generation after the others, but made up for it before them.

As for why they were called Romantics (the capital 'R' is important), the period just before the Romantic is often called the 'neo-classical' and it focused on reason as the most important aspect of humanity. A neo-classicist might say that the ability to be rational was the only thing separating man from beast, and might even make the case that because certain tribes of humanity lacked the higher ability to reason, they were inhuman. By contrast if we define romantic, not just to encompass love, but to encompass ideals, heroism, chivalry, and all other emotions, then the Romantics argued through their poetry that ideals, emotion, etc. mattered more to humanity than their ability to reason alone.

There's a lot better stuff out on the internet too, if you want to search for it.

Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Finally! A thread to recommend Pablo Neruda!

His poems are in Spanish but the translations are beautiful. Most of them are about his wife and his complete devotion to her.

Here is a sample (and my favorite).

Actually, another Hatracker turned me on to him (Raia perhaps?).

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I love Neruda! I first read him in an editon that had the original poem on one page, with the English translation opposite. That way, even if you have a very rudimentary grasp of Spanish, especially written Spanish, you can appreciate the flow and sound of the original while also enjoying the translation.
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I love you as the plant that never blooms
but carries in itself the light of hidden flowers;

from Valentine014's link.

That is brilliant imagery. I should read more poetry.

The same link said: People who read Pablo Neruda also read Charles Bukowski.
[ROFL]

[ February 26, 2005, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keepsmilin
Member # 6607

- posted      Profile for keepsmilin   Email keepsmilin         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I think Keats is the most brilliant of them all. If you have time I recommend buying a book of letters he wrote to his loved ones/editors because they are just as amazing as his poetry. He is capable of complex thinking in the deepest of ways, and it still amazes me that everything he wrote was before he even was 23.
I do also love Wordsworth, and Blake is fantastic but terrifying.
enjoy!

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Have you tried Percy Shelley? He's not my favorite, but some of it is amazing.
I'm not very well read at all in this area ( [Blushing] ) but I want to point out that 'Ozymandias' is my favourite poem [Smile] .
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Although he is far from a romantic poet, I love the work of e. e. cummings...
Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I've sung songs set to the work of e.e. cummings...

O.o

They were not easy.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Me too. I am also going to recommend Milton. I have no idea where he falls in the scheme of things, but I enjoy his poetry in a rhymy way. [Smile]

I'll also second the vote for Keats

And I'll start a vote for Rumi. He's romantic, but not Romantic. Wonderful poetry though.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, while we're nominating favorite poets, I love Tagore. [Smile]
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want my opinion of non-English, i take John Keats on the highest scale. His "Thing of beauty" let my poor french person sit down. But my knowledge of English world is too poor to be correct.
But i can recommand some french poets if you want. Would you like ?

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Please do, Choobak. [Smile]

I was going to yowl for Neruda, as well.

quote:
This thread makes me feel more prententious than an English/Philosophy double major in a coffee shop.
[Big Grin]

(Morrison doesn't save you; he just makes you lightheartedly ironic in your pretentiousness. [Wink] )

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok [Wink]

If you want to know four names of french romantic poets (i.e. from the romantic period), retain :

Alfred De Musset,
De Vigny,
Lamartine,
And the most wonderful, Victor Hugo.

I especially like De Musset and Victor Hugo for the incredible beauty of there sentences. Hugo is so fluid that his texts sing when you read it.

I want to add to this list two names : De Nerval and Gautier. I like their work less than Hugo, but they have one or two poem i like.

But my real and favorite poets are in another period : the symbolism. They are Verlaine, Rimbaud and Beaudelaire. Especially Arthur Rimbaud. He managed a trully merveille with Le bâteau ivre.

Good reading !

[ February 27, 2005, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Choobak ]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.