FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Structure of an Average American High-School Film

Author Topic: The Structure of an Average American High-School Film
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Plot: Boy1 - a geek - Loves Girl1; His platonic friend, Girl2, hates Girl1 because she's a beautiful, nasty, prudent friend of the sexiest man - Boy2.

Boy1 wants Girl1, but Boy2 is in his way. He manages to somehow get Girl1 for the Prom-night, and here Boy2 comes into the picture.

Conflict: Boy2 challanges Boy1, to impress Girl1. Boy1 - by pure luck - manages to defeat Boy2, in a way that makes both Boy2 lose his status (1 conlict solved), and makes Girl1 love him in a way that makes Girl2 happy again, because she got her loved one.

Did I get that right?

[ February 23, 2005, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I think I've seen that one! [Wink]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
There are thousands [Wink] .
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
If that was Heathers, it would be more like geek-girl loves psycho boy who then procedes to kill her friend, etc.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Yes, dear, I know... that was a sarcastic comment. [Big Grin]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I always tried and tried, but it's never deeper! The deepest was a girl wanting guys to "unload" their droppings on her chest.

Now, that's NOT deep!

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Yeah, I know. I just thought it was a good excuse to talk about Heathers. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Is that deeper? (Never saw it.)
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a lot more violent.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

But in a funny way!
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Cool violence? Such as... Training Day?
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Heathers [Wave]

There are variations, but you're right, nothing deeper.... (Boy1 realizes Girl1 is not worth it, discovers he really loved platonic Girl2 all along, etc.)

Other entertaining films in this genre: Empire Records, Mystic Pizza. (Both take it out of high school, but are in the right demographic.)

Solidly in this genre, and pop relics of the 80's: Grease, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Valley Girl, Say Anything, Pretty in Pink, Sixteen Candles.

The one that is potentially deeper, and has stood up pretty well: Breakfast Club.

[Edit: Fixed text styles for floccinaucinihilipilificator Storm. Sorry, sometimes I'm lazy. I have a friend who can't put 'Yahoo!' into a blog post without including the exclamation mark. That degree of rectitude actually annoys me.

And btw, it's 'John,' not 'Jon.']

[ February 23, 2005, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: John Van Pelt ]

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Breakfast Club is an awesome movie. I have it. [Smile]
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Jon, aren't movies supposed to be italicized on the internet?

[ February 23, 2005, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

You missed the first word in the article. [Wink]

Yes, you're right, I'm sorry.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Was actually asking the other Jon, not commenting about your text. [Smile]

Personally, I don't care about other people's grammar. Underline. Italicize. It's all one to me. I just want to make sure I at least can do it when I need to.

By the way, while I appreciate corrections on my grammar--I really do--it would be better if the corrections were sent to my email so we didn't screw up other people's threads.

In case it isn't clear, I thought when you were saying 'Heathers [Wave] ', that was your way of correcting me, John. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding.

[ February 23, 2005, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Ah.

OK.

Sure.

Gotcha.

Hey! Why dont we italicise other aliases, Storm Saxon?

Besides, I love dobies - as long as I can understand what's said [Razz] .

[Edit (to add):
quote:
I have a friend who can't put 'Yahoo!' into a blog post without including the exclamation mark.
What's so wrong with using the propr way? As long as they don'y urge you to do it! If you're writing a technical or a legal document, would you drop the '!'? Surely, you wouldn't. So what's wrong with Yahoo! technicality? /Edit]

[ February 23, 2005, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

British people smell funny.
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing's wrong with it.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Oh, cool.
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Some Kind of Wonderful, Lucas, and Say Anything are the best "high school romance" movies.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be inclined to agree, although I still think Say Anything copped out with its ending; it would have been much truer and much more interesting had her dad NOT been a hypocrite and a criminal. Some Kind of Wonderful is what I think Pretty in Pink could have been.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked the movie Crazy/Beautiful a lot, and not just because I have an embarassing crush on Kirsten Dunst beccause she genuinely is a good actress in this movie!
Plus, she looks adorable even when she looks busted. She was such a cool character. *sigh* I watched that movie with and without the commentary.
But, most teen movies are dippy. I hate how in Grease that guy does not fall for the girl until she dresses like a ho! Who the hell wants to date a guy who does not notice you until you ho it up?!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Underappreciated teen movie = Vision Quest.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichelleEly
Member # 6737

- posted      Profile for MichelleEly   Email MichelleEly         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy any of the movies in the John Hughes teen oeuvre. [Smile]

No more yankie my wankie; the Donger need food!
Michelle

[ February 23, 2005, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: MichelleEly ]

Posts: 152 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I have such a conflict with Grease because I love the music but the ending is just so horrible.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
British people smell funny.
I'm not British.
MichelleEly
Member # 6737

- posted      Profile for MichelleEly   Email MichelleEly         Edit/Delete Post 
How should Grease have ended?
Michelle

Posts: 152 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Why couldn't he have liked her without the make-up and push up bra? I can't stand guys who don't like you until you have had a major make-over and aren't even acting like yourself.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! Yes! Making the girl all pretty is the only way to get the masses to buy the story. It sickens me. Like She's All That or The Princess Diaries . I think they were prettier before anyway.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichelleEly
Member # 6737

He LOVED her without the make-up and the push up bra. It wasn't about him not liking her or not wanting her before. She felt she HAD to change. She was wrong, but the pants fit like a glove.

Couldn't the same be said in reverse? Why did he have to bust his ass to be a jock for her? It's really the same, isn't it?

The truth is that neither asked it of the other one so it wouldn't be fair to say that their love was contingent on the other one being someone different.

Danny could have had his choice of Pink Ladies or that bad girl from the Catholic School - Sandy dated a jock and could have has her choice of the good boys. They still were focused on each other.

They both changed to make the other one happy, but they really didn't have to change at all. Their issues were never about not liking the other one - they were about peer pressure and a little bit of defensiveness and fear of being real.

The proof of their mutual love is based on the fact that neither asked the other one to change and yet both came to the conclusion that the other one was worth the decision toward change.

And I cannot believe I just analysed Grease! [ROFL]
Michelle

[ February 24, 2005, 06:24 AM: Message edited by: MichelleEly ]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Yeah...Grease....

It's intersting how this thread is really bringing to light how incredibly bad most teen movies are and are really caricatures of teens as people.

Other movies that revolve around teens that I think deserve a mention:

My Bodyguard
Zebrahead
The River's Edge and
Whale Rider (Am slightly cheating since the protagonist is 11 or 12, I think)

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Tom, I had the same problem with Say Anything. Throughout most of the movie the Father was developed as a sympathetic and caring character, something we don't usually see in tennage movies. Why ruin that for the sake of a unnecessary plot twist? (I also liked the mother-son relationship in Almost Famous; I guess Crowe must have had really great parents [Smile] )

I second Whale Rider Storm. If we are doing honorable mentions, I think Raising Victor Vargas is probably one of the most romantic teenage comedies I've ever seen.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

That reminds me that I forgot to mention Peter Pan [Smile]

Haven't seen a lot of these. I'll have to check them out.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Why ruin that for the sake of a unnecessary plot twist?"

Well, they HAD to do it, because the problem was that Lloyd really didn't deserve her; her dad was right about the fact that she could probably do much better. In order for the two of them to wind up together, the movie had to discredit her father's opinion in some way.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
October Sky was a pretty good movie.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

"the problem was that Lloyd really didn't deserve her"

Are you saying a kickboxer who refuses to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career is not good enough for little Miss Perfect? [Smile] (Your comment reminded me of another John Cusack movie, High Fidelity, in which Cusack again ends up with a girl he arguably did not deserve due to another parental plot twist.)

Maybe the movie would have been more interesting (and truer to life) if the couple did not end up together. I really liked, for example, how Kevin and Winnie never got married in the Wonder Years.

[ February 24, 2005, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

pwiscombe
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for pwiscombe   Email pwiscombe         Edit/Delete Post 
Watched a High School Film recently.

Boy-1 -a geek - would take any girl, but he knows he doesn't have the right skills yet to impress one. You know, like nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills...

Girl-1 - also a geek - likes Boy-1 but isn't going to wait forever for him.

Boy-2 is like, friends with Boy-1, and likes Girl-2 (also known as Popular Girl) and builds her a cake or something.

Girl-2 who is dating Boy-3 (also known as Popular Boy) rejects Boy-2.

Boy-2 goes out with Girl-1.

Boy-1 draws a picture of Girl-3. He spends like two hours on her upper lip.

Boy-1 goes out with Girl-3 because her mom makes her. He is promptly dumped.

Boy-2 lets Boy-1 dance with Girl-1. He complements her on her puffy sleeves.

Boy-2 goes up against Girl-2 in a contest. He promises to "make your wildest dreams come true"

Boy-1 helps Boy-2 defeat Girl-2 by ...I can't describe it...It's just one of those things you gotta see.

Boy-1 woos Girl-1 with a delicious bass he caught.

Didn't quite fit the "average" structure. Maybe thats why I loved it.

Posts: 258 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe the movie would have been more interesting (and truer to life) if the couple did not end up together.
That ending was the only problem that I had with the movie. Compared to the honesty of the rest of the movie, the rediculousness of the ending was very dissapointing.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.