FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help Finding Notebook/Laptop

Author Topic: Help Finding Notebook/Laptop
Kraid
Member # 6302

- posted      Profile for Kraid   Email Kraid         Edit/Delete Post 
Lately I've been looking for a notebook computer. My main focus is finding one that can play some new computer games and finding a good quality. What I'm really asking is:
what brands should I avoid?
intel or AMD?

that sort of stuff.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on your computer literacy level you can make all kind of choices. Dell’s seem to be a pretty good all round choice. Gateway and IBM have been having $$ troubles so I might avoid them. HP and Compaq tend to be very proprietary so I tend to stay away from them.
Dell has some great deals on their refurbished systems too. Plus you can get in there to find different things that you’re after.
I know you asked ones to avoid. Sorry if I stressed on what you might like to look at.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Since you want to play games, the video option is the first thing to check on. Look for ones that say Geforce2go or Mobile Radeon. I have a Dell Inspiron 4150 with Radeon 7500 graphics. Good enough to play most things, currently on a Madden 2005 kick. New systems will support the graphical bells and whistles much better. The next thing to keep in mind is the size. If you are going to be lugging it to classes, a lighter notebook is your friend. Since there's been numerous notebook thread recently, I'll let others give specific recommendations. [Smile]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, Intel vs AMD. Might get some $$ breaks. But unless you’re really doing some intense stuff you’re not going to notice the difference.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
I just have to put the generic Apple plug in here.

[cough] [cough] Powerbook G4 [cough]

[ February 23, 2005, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: scottneb ]

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Dell, man.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

Wouldn't it be:

"Dell, Dude"

[ February 23, 2005, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: scottneb ]

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichelleEly
Member # 6737

- posted      Profile for MichelleEly   Email MichelleEly         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Sony makes the cutest one, but they are incredibly low rated and very costly.

I was told by a repairman. that he loves HPs. They are initially expensive, but he says that they don't break down a lot, and the replacement parts are readily available, and not costly. I also had a salesman that didn't carry HPs say that they were his preference

I have a Gateway. Tech support has sucked, they were 2 weeks late on delivery, there is a glitch that will not let me back up my system on disc. (The back-up notice says it's "higly" recommended - this does not fill me with confidence.) We have ALWAYS had Gateways, but the line stops here.
Michelle

Posts: 152 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

The Inspiron 9200 is nice, if a bit large for my tastes. The 600m is the closest to what I have.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
He wants to play games. So no Apples.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

quote:
He wants to play games. So no Apples.
[ROFL]
TheTick
Member # 2883

Well, you can play SOME games on the Mac, just not the ones I'd really want to play. [Wink]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Stay far far far far far away from Acer. They are the spawn of the devil. [Evil]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Avoid everything but Alienware.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.