FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is there a culture war against 'kids'? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is there a culture war against 'kids'?
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Many teenagers grow into immature adults because they're never given the chance to fail.
Yeup. Chances are, though, the problem started when they were even younger and mom and dad couldn't stand to see their kids go through difficulties.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could find the statistic I read the other day - 78% of parents think they are doing a better job than their parents did. *grin*

It was probably on Slate - that's where I get a lot of my tossed-off information.

[ February 25, 2005, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think adults today have a clue as to what it's like being a teenager/young adult today. They remember what it was like from their time and assume it can't be much different, or that it's better.

But worse, I don't think they care to find out. Most dismiss whatever difficulties young adults go through. They ignore the fact that depression and suicide is up among young adults. But teen pregnancy rates are actually down. If anything I think a lot of the problem these days is parents. Ignore the good, focus on the bad. Scold and demand they do fantastically in school while ignoring social pressures and how hard school can be. School is different academically than it was for the previous generations. I know my parents didn't have to take 3 and 4 AP classes at one time. They weren't even concerned about going to college (neither of them did).

Parents need to get with the times.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Plus ca change....
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.