FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ben and Lindsay bought a camera!

Author Topic: Ben and Lindsay bought a camera!
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
So lindsay and i are considering getting a digital camera, (5+ mp preferably) and need advice and or help. Budget below $400 tell us what we need to know, or please recommend.

that is all...for now...

[ February 27, 2005, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
You might try the Canon S-60 . This is the digital camera I have right now and I love it. It is a 5 mp camera. You can probably find this camera for $350 or so. The next level up is the S70 (a 7 mp camera) and that appears to be going in the low 400 range.
Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you want 5+ megapixel? Unless you have certain uses in mind, 4+ should be more than fine, particularly on a camera with decent optics (which matters far more).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
The reviewers seem to love the Canons.

We got the Minolta DiMAGE X50 for Christmas. I like it because it is so tiny and because it starts up quickly.

I would have opted for a Canon or Olympus, but we needed a tiny grab-n-go camera that could fit in a pocket.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always loved the Olympus cameras. I don't know what they've done in the past 2 years since I got mine, but I've always thought they had a great combination of lens quality and clean, simple interface.

Oh, and check out this site:

http://dealcam.com/

[ February 25, 2005, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: Zeugma ]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this your first digital camera? You might be pleasantly surprised on how well the even 2MP work. That’s what I got and it’s excellent. No complaints here.
You’re most likely to be paying for all those extra pixels that you’re not going to be using really.
Just something to consider.
By the way, Windows XP seems to work great with digital cameras too. Just plug it in and grab what you need or transfer them all. It's very sweet. (Just a side note)

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd echo what fugu said regarding the number of pixels. Unless you are going to be cropping and making large prints of those crops the 4 megapixel is more than enough. Saving money there can allow you to purchase a camera with a better lens or perhaps ultra-zoom (10x). I've been using the Canon A80 (4MP) and it is quite good.

Here are some links to review sites that we used.
Steve's Digicam
dcresource
Megapixel.net

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Another good review site is www.dpreview.com

If you click on the "Buying Guide" link, you can search a database of cameras by just about any combination of features and prices.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, camers...pretty. I have two Canons. One digital the other film. Nikon makes a decent camera as well. In fact you might want to look at samy's camera. I'm thinking I will too, now that I see the Canon EOS 20D. *drools*

Abes
A&M Photo World

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Digital zoom versus optical zoom.

Digital zoom is basically the camera taking your picture and cropping it. You can do it yourself with a photo program, so nothing great about it. Don't fool yourself into thinking that you'll get the same quality of picture as you will with an optical zoom - you won't.

Optical zoom - the camera lens zooms in, so you get a better quality close-up picture.

We're in the market for a new digital camera as well (Fahim's birthday present to me!) and I'm looking at 8x optical zoom and 4 MP as a minimum. It looks like we might be going to Dubai in a couple of months to buy it there. [Big Grin] Now that's a spankin' birthday present. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, but that did it. Just got a Canon 75-300 III EF Lens (100 more than my other one. hey it was cheap), and a new speedlite flash. [Big Grin] My precious....
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

we purchased the canon a85. i know, i move quick like that. This camera is terrific. i've had it about a day, but it was enough to take pictures of Lindsay's birthday dinner and various other things that caught my eye. Yay new camera yay! man, i need to get back into photography.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

That's a nice looking camera.
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice. I recently purchased the Canon A95, which is basically the same camera. My only complaint with it is that it seems a little slow. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with it. (Well, I do have another complaint, but it's not the camera's fault: I almost never have the camera on me when I see a good shot. And when I do have it with me there's nothing worth photographing. [Grumble] )
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

i was (and still am) thinking of taking it back and upgrading to the a95, its about $30 more (it went on sale this week) but i just don't know if it's worth the hassle for what i'll be using it for.

[ February 28, 2005, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.