FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Oscar Fashion

Author Topic: Oscar Fashion
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't want to clog up the Oscar thread, so I thought I'd start a separate one for Oscar fashion.

I can sum up my feelings about this year's Oscar fashions in one word: uninspired. There was too much satin and too much loose, wavy hair and far, far too many quadraboobs (the condition that results from an ill-fitting bodice that cuts a woman's bust in half).

Good:
Oprah
Julie Delpy
Maggie Gyllenhall (except her dowdy clutch, which did not match her dress)
Kate Winslet
Cate Blanchett
Natalie Portman
Beyonce (that girl knows how to seriously rock a gown)
Sophie Okonedo
Penelope Cruz
Natalia Vodianova
Jamie Foxx's daughter

Meh:
Laura Linney (bad color)
Emmy Rossum (she's a little young to pull that dress off)
Kirsten Dunst (good idea, bad execution)
Charlize Theron
Halle Berry (that dress needed two straps or none)
Scarlett Johansson
Annette Benning
Virginia Madsen
Sandra Oh
Ziyi Zhang

Awful:
Hilary Swank
Renee Zellweger (what in the world happened to her?)
Johnny Depp (he's lucky he's pretty)
Gwenyth Paltrow (her dress wasn't horrible, but she annoys me and she was sporting quadraboobs)
Robin Williams
Drew Barrymore
Melanie Griffith
Imelda Staunton

What did y'all think?

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought most of the dresses were ok, nothing totally awful, that anyone should really be embarrassed by in a few years. Hilary Swank's dress was at least a "meh" but not better than that.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the Oscars, but I have to post something:

quote:
quadraboobs
[ROFL] Favorite word! [ROFL]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
I like what I wore. PJ’s and a blanket while curled up with SOTG
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally thought Emmy Rossum was gorgeous. And I wasn't a huge fan of Oprah's look, but it wasn't bad by any means.

Otherwise I pretty much agree. Renee Zellweger's hair was the wrong colour and Laura Linney's was just bad.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Julie Delpy - Simple elegance.

Kirsten Dunst - I'll bet the intricate patterns look really nice up close, but it wasn't that great on camera. Still one beautiful girl though.

Natalie Portman - She looked like a napkin holder.

Kate Winslet - ahoy matey!

Gwyneth Paltrow - OK dress, bad hair. Not up to her usual standards.

Renée Zellweger - " I will not condone a course of action that will lead us to war."

Some Pics

[ February 28, 2005, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually liked Hilary Swank's dress. I think she chose it because she's still ripped from doing Million Dollar Baby: did you SEE the muscles in her back?!?
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I agree about Swank's dress. I know she selected it for the back, but the front was BLEH. It was like she was playing one of those funny vaudeville characters, half male clothes on one side, half female clothes on the other -- but sideways, so the front was one, the back was another. The back was all VaVOOM. The front was serious Dowd. If the front had at least complemented the back, it would have been quite a pretty dress.

I thought Julia Roberts dress choice was a bit unfortunate. Her breasts are still really swollen from pregnancy, and it showed. The makeup didn't quite cover the blue veins and such you get at that stage. I'd be all for showing off what she usually doesn't have, but it *looked* like she was verging on engorgement.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree about Julia Roberts. I do not want to know immediately when someone is breastfeeding.

I love Hilary Swank's dress. It wasn't girly or pretty, but she really isn't either. I liked that it was so simple and conservative, and then she turns around and it's shocking, but still not tacky.

Kate Winslet is a goddess, but the color was a little too Malibu Barbie.

Cate Blanchett looked beautiful, and was the only one who looked perfect in the night's signature color. I'm also thrilled that she won. Yay! Oscar loves Katharine Hepburn even after she's dead.

I thought Imelda Staunton looked lovely and classy and sweet.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Johnny Depp (he's lucky he's pretty)

It was better than the Golden Globes.

But... I think he knows he looks odd and deliberately perpetuates it. It prevents him from having to be super-cool all the time, and takes the pressure off.

That's my assumption, anyway. [Angst]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Johnny Depp always looks good. Even with ratty old hats and cold teeth.
he is so cool.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Natalie Portman - She looked like a napkin holder.
Beren, I think I love you. [Smile]

I think that dress was just...awful.

Does anyone know of a good picture of the back of Hilary Swank's dress?

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
How can you have a picture of something that wasn't there?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

heh. I just mean, a shot of her in the dress from the back! It's alright, though...I found one. I have to say, I'm not that impressed, though.

And...Renee Zelwegger needs to have blond hair. Really.

Edited to add, on the other hand, Drew Barrymore looks very nice with dark hair.

[ February 28, 2005, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Megan ]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sexy_aaron
Member # 7312

- posted      Profile for sexy_aaron   Email sexy_aaron         Edit/Delete Post 
Rene Zellwigger has never looked good.

And she continued the trend.

Posts: 78 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

I found the back of Penelope Cruz's dress ...rather amusing.

"No, I don't want a whole bow, just half a bow."

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Normally I hate "fashionable" dresses, so I was pleasantly surprised this year by how many I liked. My favorite was Cate Blanchett, my least favorite was Natalie Portman. There were probably worse dresses there, but I'm a huge Natalie Portman fan so I noticed hers.

I would have liked Selma Hayek's more in another color, blue isn't her color.

Renee Zellweger is just generally ugly. She offends my sense of propriety, if you're going to make millions of dollars as a movie star I think you ought to at least be pretty. Her dress wasn't bad though.
Love Annette Benning's dress.
If she's not pregnant there's no excuse...

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

quote:
Renee Zellweger is just generally ugly. She offends my sense of propriety, if you're going to make millions of dollars as a movie star I think you ought to at least be pretty.
It's funny...for me, you could replace Renee Zellwegger in that sentence with "Hilary Swank" and I would pretty much agree.

Oh, and because I don't want to just rag on the girls...I love Tim Robbins, but he is looking rough!

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't watch the Oscars, but I am actually enjoying looking at the different dresses. Maggie Gyllenhall's dress looks so unique! But I'm not sure how accurately still photos catch it. It is difficul to tell what is actually happening with the light and color.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

It's funny...for me, you could replace Renee Zellwegger in that sentence with "Hilary Swank" and I would pretty much agree.

Hilary Swank is never in movies I want to see, so it's incredibly easy for me to avoid her. I like the movies Renee Zwellweger is in, I just don't like her being in them.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Salma Hayeck looks like she's in drag.
Emmy Rossum looks really pretty, even if the dress isn't all that great.
Johnny Depp ...ok, he does look a little wierrd...but it's JOHNNY DEPP! He can gat away with being a little wierd. [Wink]
Drew Barrymore needs to lay off the dark colors a bit...it doesn't look good with her pale skin.
Scarlett Johansson is also really pretty, but should have used a lighter color dress and lipstick.
I don't know who this is but...*rofl*...
I like Charlize Theron's dress...it's blue...and frilly...and she's pretty.
AAAAAH! Not just her dress, but the ones behind her are bad, too!
She needs to fire her hairdresser. Him, too.
OMG! What was she thinking?!
*shudder*
I think Melissa and Joan Rivers look very pretty, too.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
meow. [Smile]

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Hillary Swank's dress looks stunning. It works really well on her frame. Wow. Not a lot of people could get that to work well.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Ok, so her dress may have been fugly, but aren't Melanie Griffith and Antonio Banderas cute? [Smile]
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand her hair...

I liked Halle Berry's dress... I loved how it flowed when she walked- but I agree, two straps or none. The one strap just didn't look right.

I think Renee Zellweger should gain back those pounds and be blond. I think she looks so much better with the "extra" weight.

I'm not a fan of Hilary Swank's dress. I think the front was too plain, but the back was okay.

Cate Blancett's colour choice didn't thrill me. She seemed washed out...

Gwyneth Paltrow's dress did nothing for me.

Was not impressed with Scarlett Johansson's dress nor her hair/tiara.

I think Emmy Rossum's ensamble was more suited for someone a bit older then her [Dont Know]

Oh, I forgot to say I thought Jaime Foxx's daughter was perfectly dressed for her age.

[ February 28, 2005, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Jaiden ]

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Renee Zellweger is just generally ugly. She offends my sense of propriety, if you're going to make millions of dollars as a movie star I think you ought to at least be pretty.
I don't think Renee Zellweger is ugly. She's just way too thin, and her up and down dieting is starting to age her prematurely. The bangs and flat dark hair were not flattering at all.

As for the fashion as a whole, what was the deal with the mermaid bottoms? It seemed every dress was ultra-snug to the knees, then flared out at the bottom.

Cate Blanchet was certainly best dressed.

Hillary Swank put her dress on backwards. She gets my vote for worst.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never understood why “formal” for men means covering up as much skin as possible, preferably with multiple layers, and “formal” for women means showing as much skin as possible on the top half of the body while using all the excess material to drag down the bottom half.

I mean, I understand why a style that looks like a woman’s clothes are falling off might be attractive, I just don’t see how it can be considered formal.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ok, so her dress may have been fugly, but aren't Melanie Griffith and Antonio Banderas cute?
The Onion said it best with their headline "Camera Falls Out Of Love With Melanie Griffith".
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.