FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » AIM Buddy Lists - a quirk

Author Topic: AIM Buddy Lists - a quirk
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I've come to realize recently that I do something with AIM that no one else I know does.

I delete usernames when I no longer talk to the owners anymore.

Apparently I am alone in this odd endeavour, as my best friend has approximately 100 some people on her buddy list, and speaks to about 10 of them. Ever.

Strider is equally culpable, having 68 people and rarely talking to more than five.

What IS this? My best friend, a girl, says she likes knowing when people are online, and reading away messages. My boyfriend, on the other hand...well, I doubt he has an excuse. Possibly laziness?

Am I the only one who has a nice, trim, organized buddy list with only those persons that I speak with on it?

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
I do that. I have many more in the other folders, but the reason they have survived is because they are never online. My active list of users is rarely longer than about ten. If there are more, I'll delete the ones I never talk to.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you delete or erase old phone numbers? Do you get rid of email addresses of people you don't talk to any more?

I don't. The only time i do any of those is when someone gets a new email or number. i have phone numbers of people i haven't talked to in years.

edit-those phone numbers are probably no good anymore now that i think about it...oh well.

[ March 04, 2005, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

depends on the person, really

For instance, I still have Icarus, Frisco, Kama, and BannaOJ even though I haven't spoken to Eddie forever, and rarely talk to the other three anymore.

This is mostly for sentimental reason cause I think they're all cool and maybe someday they'll IM me again. [Wink]

But then again, there's also the element of "i'm lazy and rarely IM people myself anymore"

[Razz]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not quite as bad as Strider. I've got an even 50 on my list. When I'm on, which is rare, I'd talk to about...10 or 15 of them I guess. In my defense, someone used my notebook at Kamacon and I inherited a bunch of contacts I haven't taken the time to remove. [Wink]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see. There's 128 people on my buddy list. 30 are online right now. I talk to 18 of those 30. [Dont Know]
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep my buddy list short and organized too. Of course, there are some people on there who I don't talk to only because I see them enough in real life. But I know I might need to talk to them someday, so they stay on my list.
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
About the only people on my AIM list are Hatrackers -- because I use MSN Messenger or Yahoo messenger for anything else....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't use AIM, so no problems there with me.
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Strider. (And I spoke with both of you just the other day! [Razz] ).

I'm hardly ever on AIM anymore. I can hardly keep up with life as it is. I seem to do most of my hatracking from work now, not home, and I can't do AIM from work.

But removing somebody from my buddy list (or being removed from someone else's, though I wouldn't know about it) strikes me as removing somebody from my list of friends.

I may no longer talk to somebody with any frequency, but I could if I wanted to. Am I no longer Kat's (for instance) "buddy" because we're never on AIM at the same time?

:-\

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Pepe Icaro is still on my list. [Smile]
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Hey, I think that's one of the ones I inherited.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonide, I haven't been on much recently. Or if I am it is because my computer's running and no one's home.

IM me and if I'm actually there I'll always respond.

Also I'm one of those non-deleters. And as I recall I have this tendency to look at your AIM screen name and not be able to connect it to the person. I think I've done it with strider too. I should clean out my list, into a semblance of order but it is low on my priority list at the moment...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

(this is weird, it's the second time someone has mentioned me specifically on Hatrack today, I think that's got to be some sort of record.)
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I have 98 people on my buddy list right now. There are 23 I usually talk to when they are on. I don't delete, but I do move them to other folders, the 23 I talk to are in one folder, the rest are in a few others (one for hatrackers, one for horse people, one for people from school that I barely remember). I think this works pretty well.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Horse people? Like centaurs? Sweet!

[Wink]

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to start deleting people from my list I don't really talk to because my list was full (even after deleting all but one Jeni name), and I wanted to add people I did talk to. Now I rarely log on at all, so it doesn't matter much.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

Anna, I was really just kidding. I'm busy too, and rarely on AIM. or if I am, I usually have my away message up.

Don't pay no attention to me!

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(this is weird, it's the second time someone has mentioned me specifically on Hatrack today, I think that's got to be some sort of record.)
Pretty soon you'll start logging on just to do a name search. You'll have to find creative reasons why you're only posting in threads in which you've already been mentioned. You'll feel alternately egotistically when your name produces many threads, and peevish when it doesn't. You wonder - am I here simply to feed an already overweening ego? You begin questioning your motives for every post, and whenever your name is mentioned you think, "What's THAT suppose to mean?" Your bookmark is now set to the search page.

You try to persuade others to drop your name in their posts, and you consider paying them if they're thickies that won't take a hint.

Ultimately you find yourself dropping your own name just to have a new thread pop up in your name search, like an alcoholic nursing the last few drops from a bottle of Nyquil. And you think: how did I get here? Oh, lord, how did I get here.

It's a grim future for you, Anna. I pine for thee.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Ralphie = teh awesome.

The first one is free. [Wink]

Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
I only have two people on mine and they are rarely on line
Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ralphie = teh awesome.
I only found that cause I did a name search.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Centaurs are not good AIM buddies--they can't type so well with their hooves.

-o-

I know who all of my AIM buddies are--because I cheat. If you right click on a buddy's name, you can store a comment on that person. When you hover the mouse over that person's name, the comment will display. So, for instance, if I were to forget just who Nirshdaddy was . . .

[Wink]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

But when you delete someone from your list, it doesn't delete you from THEIR list, right? How about if I wish I could make it so I didn't show up on someone else's list?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

*searches* Nope, I'll never attain Ralphie popularity. Last mention before today on Feb22...

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

oh yeah you can do selective invisibility farmgirl.. I forget how but it is doable.

AJ

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Man...i'll never be able to live down that name. It goes to show, I picked that years ago when a friend asked me to get AIM so he could chat with me. If I ever thought I'd end up keeping that name with a list of 70 buddies, I may have been more selective. [Dont Know]
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
farmgirl, I think you would want to block them, so if you were talking to them, the option is on that window, also available when you right click. There is also an eye up above your online people, and if you click on it, it shuts, and no one can see you are online, but you can still talk to them. (I'm getting a bit good at avoidance tactics [Evil Laugh] )
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
oh yeah you can do selective invisibility farmgirl..
Well, yeah - doing that makes it appear to them that I'm not online, but it doesn't remove me from their list.

And if I don't have them on my list anymore, I can't enable the invisibility feature toward them...

Farmgirl

Leonide
Member # 4157

How do you do that comment thingee, Icky?

edit: nevermind, got it! You are now: Millionaire hopeful, Disney fanatic

[ March 04, 2005, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: Leonide ]

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

if you block them, you'll still be on their list, but will never show up online, which is a positive.
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I appear to have about 190 names on my buddy list (I am only counting AIM here). Most of them are Hatrackers, some are duplicate names for the same person. Only a small fraction of them appear online at any given time. I never really talk to some of them anymore, but the point is I could if I wanted to. [Wink]

Some of the names may no longer be in use, but I don't bother to delete them unless I need to to make room for a new buddy.

quote:
Do you delete or erase old phone numbers? Do you get rid of email addresses of people you don't talk to any more?

I don't. The only time i do any of those is when someone gets a new email or number. i have phone numbers of people i haven't talked to in years.

I actually have a funny story about that. I have had the same address book since the end of high school. The only time I erase names of people I am not in touch with anymore is to make room for new names.

Recently, I was looking for names to erase, and I saw the "before marriage" name of a woman I know in the neighborhood, whose daughter was best friends with my daughter during elementary school. It's not an uncommon name, so just to make sure, I showed the entry to the woman in question. She exclaimed, "That's my mother's phone number!"

The thing is, we have no recollection of having met, never got in touch again, and didn't recognize each other when we became reacquainted in the community we now live in. We definitely met during the summer we were in town after college, and both left town by the end of that summer.

My daughter said (paraphrasing), what's the chance two women would meet, talk long enough to decide to exchange phone numbers, and then their daughters would meet and become best friends 20 years later? [Razz]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I have ten people on my list... (I used to have about 30 or so...)

And I have seven of them blocked... yeah...

Three people, amazing, eh? (I probably will be blocking another soon anyways. ^_^)

I too am an obssessive deleter and/or blocker.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

This thread inspired me to clean out my Favorites folder. I deleted half of the bookmarks there.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I have as many people on my Gaim list as it will allow -- I think that might be 150? Hatrackers members of a couple other fora, family members . . .

Gaim does one better than comments; it allows aliases. The only trouble is when I don't recognize the AIM name OR the alias. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.