FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Shadow Of the Giant

Author Topic: Shadow Of the Giant
MamaMaureen
Member # 7459

- posted      Profile for MamaMaureen   Email MamaMaureen         Edit/Delete Post 
I cried so hard... Wow.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
This should probably be over in the other forum. That's where the books are discussed. Remember to put a warning before any spoilers. Many of us still haven't read it [Grumble] but I'm sure you know that since you didn't blurt out anything to start with.

[ March 04, 2005, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: neo-dragon ]

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read it yet, but I got my copy in the mail yesterday. [Smile] Yay!
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got mine in the mail today. [Smile]
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is ok to keep the thread here since so many of us are too lazy to go over to the othe side. [Smile]

But a spoiler warning is a good idea though. Nobody wants to open up the thread and accidentally learn that Jane sent Ender-Peter back to earth to marry Petra. That kind of surprises should be enjoyed privately.

[ March 04, 2005, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Beren..I'm mad you! did that really happen? I'm getting my copy on tuesday at the book signing in NYC.

[ March 04, 2005, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: Little_Doctor ]

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 7461

- posted      Profile for Sammi   Email Sammi         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in public when reading the end, and it took all of my self control not to cry! It was so, so great. All I can say is !!!!!!!!!
Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a quote from the book I really liked but cannot quite remember. It is something like your ability to get hurt is directly proportionate to how much you love people?

When Ender said that to Petra, I cried too.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
write spoilers like this people....

*spoilers*
SPOILERS HERE

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I received my copy yesterday, and I read most of the night.

*giggles*

And then I drug the book in to show my co-workers.

Great fun!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate you all!!! Why must you ruin everything for me???? I haven't gotten my copy yet! I'm hoping to get it tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I will.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, Beren is pulling a fast one on you. Nothing has been revealed in this thread.
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I got it last night and read it in two sittings.

I liked it a lot - my favorite or second favorite of the series (after Ender's Shadow). I like that we finally get to see Peter being skillful. He's every bit as smart as Ender, so only Bean should be smarter than him. It's fine for Battle Schoolers to know more about war than him, but in the previous two books he seemed weak and stupid.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I got it yesterday, took it to work with me today, and showed everybody the acknowledgements, and the signature, and they were appropriately impressed.

*does a little happy dance*

[Party]

Oh, and then I read the whole thing this afternoon, and it was woooonderful.

SPOILERS BELOW
I'm concerned about the whole Randall Firth thing, though. Randi is one scary character. Talk about fanaticism! Still, part of me things that if it had amounted to something huge, it would've been mentioned in the last chapter by the seventy-year-old Peter. I have to say, though, that I heartily approve of Peter and Petra, and I never, ever thought I'd be saying that.

edited because I forgot that Randi was going to be a colonist, so if something was going to happen, it wouldn't have happened yet by the time Peter was 70.

[ March 06, 2005, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: Megan ]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Loved the book.

SPOILERS, kind of...

I thought this would be the ending of the series but now it seems that there are so many very cool places it could still go. I like the idea of the two series being pulled together after the time of CotM. Probably won't happen but no one has officially said it won't yet so for a while at least it is a cool thing to think about.

END SPOILERS, kind of...

[ March 06, 2005, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: beatnix19 ]

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah - Megan beat me to it. [Taunt]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Trevor, you finally read some Card?

I liked the book. I didn't find it cry worthy, though. I guess I had too much stuff going on in my life at that moment.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
This was a great book, but I'm still waiting to find out what happens after Children of The Mind. [Grumble]
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I liked the book. I didn't find it cry worthy, though. I guess I had too much stuff going on in my life at that moment.
I agree, although I was reading it at the hospital so I doubt it would've had any impact on me anyways.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
got it yesterday, took it to work with me today, and showed everybody the acknowledgements, and the signature, and they were appropriately impressed.
You know, Megan, I read the acknowledgements first thing, because I was so impressed with the research you all did on that thread --- anyway, I was surprised how many of the real life names i could NOT put with screennames here. I knew some of them, of course, but there were many more in that list that I did NOT know than those I did.

I was disappointed in myself.

Farmgirl

edit: okay - going back and reviewing the thread more - I guess I do know more of them than I initially gave myself credit for.

[ March 07, 2005, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

quote:
You know, Megan, I read the acknowledgements first thing, because I was so impressed with the research you all did on that thread
[Blushing] Aw, shucks...thanks [Smile]

Yeah, there were a few I couldn't match to screen names as well.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the book much more than I thought I would. I've been griping about how much I wish OSC would concentrate on one-shot novels like Treasure Box and Enchantment, that I guess my expectations for this were really low.

It far exceeded my expectations. While it's not a book that I'll probably come back to over and over, I found it extremely enjoyable.

It has even caused me, to my chagrin, to look forward to the "linking" book that it is now obvious that he his planning.

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if it will be called "They might be Giants." [Wink]

I think it will be an interesting exploration of super-intelligence and morality.

[ March 07, 2005, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: mothertree ]

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

quote:
I wonder if it will be called "They might be Giants." [Wink]
[ROFL]
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, I haven't read, nor do I have any immediate plans to read Card's work.

But I was going to boast about Megan's place on the credits and acknowledgements flap since she hadn't done it as of my last posting in this thread. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LordBlackfire
Member # 7472

- posted      Profile for LordBlackfire           Edit/Delete Post 
Suggestion for loose threads: have Bean and his kids, along with Randi's, get involved with the Hive Queen Ender rescued - possibly meeting some new aliens like Mazer and Graff feared might be encountered.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I just got my copy in the mail today.

Thank you very much, Mr Card! (and Mrs. Card too)
[Smile]

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.