FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fraggle Rock

Author Topic: Fraggle Rock
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey,

Did anyone else watch Fraggle Rock as a kid?

I just got two DVD's and watched the first with my son tonight. At first he didnt want to. He decided from the name that it would be about a bunch of froggies who live on a rock.

Then when I told him about some of the characters... He asked what the Fraggles look like "Do they wear ragged clothing?"

At the end of the first episode "Wow! This is MUCH better than I thought it would be!"

I was a big Fraggle fan as a kid. Who else?

-Mimi

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I always pretend I was to fit in with all the cool people who watched the show. I'm sure I've seen it once or twice, I certainly remember the "Down in Fraggle Rock!" do do do "Down in Fraggle Rock!" in the theme song. And something about a cat and living under some dude's floor.

Who am I kidding, I've got nothing.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
mmmm, doozer buildings :drool:
Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved it! I am so glad its on dvd! I'll have to go get it so I can watch it with my kid. I loved Madame Trash Heap. Back then my room looked like that so I guess I felt she was a kindred spirit! [Big Grin]
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
YAY! I loved Fraggle Rock, especially Mokey. She was my favourite!
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes !!! I have some episodes. I remember the time when i was kid (around 3 or 4 : In France it appear in 1982-3 and i was born in 1979). I love it a lot ! This muppets show is incrusted in my head for a long long time... as movies like Dark Cristal...
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too, Cyberdan. I can rember having it on the tv, and I remember watching it a couple of times, but I don't really remember the show at all.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Fraggle Rock was about the only thing worth watching on HBO back in the early 80s.

Especially notable for being the rare Muppet production in which the most memorable female characters (Red and Mokey) were actually played by real life women (Karen Prell and Kathryn Mullen)...and managed to be an uneven mix flaws and bright points just like the best Muppet characters.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Not Necessarily the News back then, too.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I was only seven, so I wasn't interested in more adult comedy stuff. [Smile]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Fraggle Rock. I have a VHS still, full of the show, that I watch every once in a while. I guess I should look into those DVDs though...
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Madame Trash Heap? I think I need to see this! I must be too old or something because all I remember is the name of the show and that it was done by muppet people. *gets out Google*
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
I love any show that involves felt creatures with spindly airborne filaments rambling over thier heads.
Therefore, Fraggle Rock is in my opinion, muppetasticky fun.

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Kom og syng en sang! (klapp-klapp)
Leke gjør vi dagen lang! (klapp-klapp)
Vi er godt i gang! (klapp-klapp)
I vårt Fraggelberg!

Now, if I re-translate the other way, I get

Come and sing a song! (clap-clap)
We will play the whole day long! (clap-clap)
We have started well! (clap-clap)
In our Fraggle Mount!

So how close is this to the original?

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe this. I signed on to Hatrack just to make a thread asking anyone if they remembered Fraggle Rock because I had just bought the DVD's. Hehe. YAY FRAGGLE ROCK!

...dance your cares away...worries for another day...

[Party]

Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I alluded to the deep deep dark dark deep dark pit once and had everyone at Sakeriver wracking their brains for the source of that oh-so-pervasive nostalgia. [Smile]

I'm trying to remember the name of the boy fraggle who was always doing his laundry...

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Boober!

You know, one of the most beautiful episodes of the series was the one where Red and Boober were trapped in a cave-in...and it seemed very possible that they would not be able to be rescued in time.

Boober...hypochondriac, gloomy, boring Boober helped Red cope and not give into panic and despair.

(They survived, of course...but it's rare that a children's series addresses such a difficult topic. Let alone so well.)

Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Fraggle Rock! I only remember the last few seasons because I was really young, but they are fond memories!
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

While The Muppet Show remains Jim Henson's masterpiece to me...one can really see a lot of his heart went into Fraggle Rock.
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
The acronym LM is still used by our family. (Large Marvin)

What was the deal with those little things that built the crystaline structures?

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The Doozers see building the same way others see breathing.

They also fulfilled a key role in the FR food chain.

[ March 05, 2005, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Fraggle Rock!

I remember the one where the underground was dying...even Madame Trash Heap couldn't give any advice. I think it was due to the old man moving away or something...

And the main Fraggle dude as a last attempt left his uncle's postcards out for the old man to find...and he finally realized that there was something going on under his house.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we had a Fraggle Rock thread a couple of years ago. I am a huge fan. I always loved Travelling Uncle Matt - I thought it was hilarious that that was his name. I also loved how frustrated the Doozers always were when the Fraggles ate their buildings.

Remember when the Fraggles decided to stop eating the Doozers' buildings and they filled up Fraggle Rock?

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when the young Doozers got into the forbidden practice of jumping on pogo sticks...leading to them hicccup and thus almost destroying the main Doozer city when their hiccups got out of control and they smashed into the supports.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The Doozers got frustrated if the Fraggles ate the buildings before they were finished building. Otherwise they were utterly delighted! Because it meant they could _build more structures_...to them the equivalent of joy. [Smile]

And yeah, the episode where Doc was moving out was the episode before the last.

The very final one had Gobo finding a magic passage to Doc's new home. The Fraggles, Silly Creature (Doc), dog (Sprocket), Gorgs (the huge things that lived outside the other end of Fraggle Rock), Doozers, etc from then on all lived in peace and happiness.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I think one of my favorite episodes was the one where they explained the light that lights up the deep tunnels of Fraggle Rock comes from.

It's rare that a show takes a plot hole and spins it into a cool story. [Big Grin]

RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
HAHAHA- i like this episode where Boober gets amnesia and thinks he is a Gorg. His friends try to explain to him what he likes and who he is in a song, so he sings back to them and gets all mixed up!

Im a little stew pot, laundry is my name, boo-boos are my job here, la la not the same,
When I set a germ free, something whispers “Whee!” I make friends with germy, he makes friends with me.
I love to squash rocks, sitting on the floor, cooking little fraggles, that’s what life is for.
And when I think back, something something clear, you are Boober Fraggle, I must cook you here.

[ROFL]

[ March 06, 2005, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: RackhamsRazor ]

Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes do a great punk version of the Fraggle Rock theme song.
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
I think my favorite episode is the one where everyone starts getting hiccups.

But my favorite Fraggle Rock reference of all time is the fact that the Tourrette's Syndrome suffereing bartender in Boondock Saints was the old man who always tried to catch the fraggles in fraggle rock. You know him, "C'mon Sprocket, we can get them this time!"

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
Dance your cares away,
Worries for another day.
Let the music play,
Down at Fraggle Rock.

Work you cares away,
Dancing's for another day.
Let the Fraggles play,
We're Gobo, Mokey, Wembley, Boober, Red.

Woweeee!

"Ooooh a Fwaggle! Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle"

Ma: "Ahhhhhhh!"

"Wahhhhhhhhhhh! Woopee!"

Dance your cares away,
Worry's for another day.
Let the music play,
Down at Fraggle Rock.
Down at Fraggle Rock.
Down at Fraggle Rock.

for music files:
http://www.angelfire.com/tv/fraggles/audio/downloads.htm

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
I blame Uncle Matt for my wanderlust.

"Every day the world begins again
Sunny skies or rain
Come and follow me

Every sunrise shows me more and more
So much to explore
Come and follow me

Every morning, every day
Every evening, calling me away

While the sun goes 'round
I'll still be found
Following the sound
Something's calling me

When the world goes drifting back to bed
Memories in my head
Wonders follow me"

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

hey-does anyone know the significance of the Fraggles to the Gorgs? I mean, everyone has some type of connection to each other and they all can't live w/ out each other but how about the Gorgs? What can't the Gorgs live without? Does it have something to do with the Fraggles stealing their radishes? My DVDs, I guess, are from the beginning and I don't think it has gotten into that yet. It is that or I just missed it. Anyone remember?
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I vårt Fraggelberg!
:snicker:
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, this is another one of those shows that makes me feel young because I don't actually remember anything specific from it, but I know I used to watch it all the time. And then I consider the fact that there are people who have no concept of Garbage Pail Kids or You Can't Do That on Television, and I feel old again.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The stealing of the radishes means that the Gorgs always plant a surplus...which they need to make their anti-invisiblity cream.

(Without the cream, Gorgs turn invisible.)

Also, Fraggle Rock (which they call "Kissing Rock") is a sacred part of Gorg courtship rituals.

RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

OOOOOHHHH! thanks [Big Grin]
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And then I consider the fact that there are people who have no concept of Garbage Pail Kids or You Can't Do That on Television, and I feel old again.
This is just wrong.... [Confused] How can there be people on this planet who've never heard of YCDTOTV???? [Eek!] [Cry]
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

"I don't know."

**SPLATSPLASHSPLUTGLOOP***

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
HAHAHAH.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Fraggle Rock.

I was so pleased when they started showing it on a channel other than HBO. I remember begging my mom to get HBO so that we could watch Fraggle Rock.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.