FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I am FINALLY UPGRADING!

Author Topic: I am FINALLY UPGRADING!
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! Say goodbye to my old 1.6GHz processor, my old 768 measly megs of RAM, my old 64-meg video card! My new Ultimate Gaming Machine is in the mail! YEEEHAW!

I will finally get to play Half-life 2, just like all the other kids ...

[ March 06, 2005, 03:29 AM: Message edited by: A Rat Named Dog ]

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

*Fights sudden urge to go out and by a new Motherboard and CPU, even though every game is already playable on my machine*

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
*Fights sudden urge to go out and torch his 233MHz comp with 64 Megs of RAM*

I thought you were a game designer?
*squints eyes suspiciously*

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, so you can imagine the pain I've felt as other have played Half-life 2, whilst I was left with my tiny, tiny armies in Rome: Total War [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been playing HL2 for months. I'm quite proud to say that I've been ranked as high as 20 out of 2500 on the IU E5 Counter Strike Source server. They reset the ranks every other sunday. And I only have access to my 2.8 ghz, 1024 megs of ram, 128 meg Radeon 9800 gaming PC every other week so I have to fight my way back up to a new rank every week [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
Well what does the new ULTIMATE MACHINE have?
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
a hamster?

i'm annoyed with my machine because it's a sony vaio and doesn't have the power to support any videocard beyond a 9200 due to it's limited power supply. Maybe i could get a 9600 in there but i really don't think it that would make much of a difference. i want to get a 9800 in there. that would be sweet. the thing is fine in other respects, 3 GHZ processor, 1Gig of ram. but that stupid power supply...

that is all...

[ March 06, 2005, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Specs, geoff, SPECS.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
So does anyone else have a fleeting urge to kill people who complain about having something much nicer than what you have? I guess this may be why I am more sensitive to violence than you, Geoff. [Razz] [Kiss]
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

Yeah, I want some specs, too man [Smile]
I need to be able to drool here.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
. I'm quite proud to say that I've been ranked as high as 20 out of 2500 on the IU E5 Counter Strike Source server. They reset the ranks every other sunday. And I only have access to my 2.8 ghz, 1024 megs of ram, 128 meg Radeon 9800 gaming PC every other week so I have to fight my way back up to a new rank every week [Roll Eyes]
I don't know what's worse - the fact that you're bragging about this, or the fact that I'm legitimately impressed.

edit: Congrats, Geoff! Nothing better than getting a hot new ma-cheen.

[ March 06, 2005, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, so you can imagine the pain I've felt as other have played Half-life 2, whilst I was left with my tiny, tiny armies in Rome: Total War
Hey now, I'm the guy who still has to play Castle Bandits and Word Dojo on the touch screen computers in bars
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, Geoff, don't suppose your old rig is for sale? I'm looking for something to dual boot linux and windows for dev purposes.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

No, it's about time my wife had a decent machine, and the only thing my current one ISN'T good for is gaming. It can do everything else quite well, so I think she'll like it.

New machine specs:
AMD Athlon 3800
2 Gigs of super-fast RAM
256-Meg NVidia GPU
Two 74-Gig 10,000-RPM hard drives in a RAID array (speed over capacity)

The idea is for me to be able to go ANOTHER three years without upgrading [Smile]

Yaaaaay!

A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

And odouls, you hate video games made after 1985, so you get to shut your pie hole [Smile]
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo... *drools*
Rockin machine!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
wooooow.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
Dog, you got me beat [Frown]
Nforce 4 or Via K8T890Pro

[ March 06, 2005, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: urbanX ]

Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

You all have at least 3 years to surpass it, though [Smile]
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I am happy with mine, and I bought it over a year ago. (yeah Staples)

I have a HP 3.0E g=Ghz, with 512 mb (pc3200 ddr sdram)

160 GB hard drive

NVVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
APG 8x graphics card with 128mb DDR, TV out and DVI support

7-in-1 card reader
DVDR/CD-RW, and second CR-ROM

I know it isn't the best out there, but it has done everything I needed and wanted to do, and I got it all, along with a monitor and a scanner/fax/printer, for a really good price....the only thing I see different now is that for the ame price I could get a flat monitor and a dula DVD-R, but it is only a little bit cheaper now that what I paid.

Considering how fast these machines lose value, I am very happy with it.

Although I may upgrade it a little bit, and go with 1G RAM.... [Big Grin]

Kwea

[ March 06, 2005, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

Mmmmm...Raptors [Smile] Tasty.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought this computer to be one of the cool kids for the first time in my life that could play all the super duper new games. And, while it's served me well in that regard, I also find I don't care as much for games as I used to. The next computer I buy will be a nice, light, functional laptop, although I don't imagine that'll be for years yet.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

quote:
I bought this computer to be one of the cool kids for the first time in my life that could play all the super duper new games. And, while it's served me well in that regard, I also find I don't care as much for games as I used to.
That's about the same thing that happened to me. I still remember the old days, when you could be just shy of a game's requirements and still pull it off. Now, if you just have the game's requirements, forget it, it's not worth playing.

[ March 06, 2005, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Boris ]

Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
congrats...my parents just upgraded, since their old computer just died. I went over and helped them set it up today...my mom really couldn't care less about it, but my dad is glad that he can finally burn CDs.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
The really sad thing is that the computer that you're upgrading from is better than my current one...
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

That's not sad at all. My current computer's actually not that bad. It's just ... for me, having access to a cutting-edge computer is about as important as a doctor having access to the latest medical journals. Or something. [Smile] Something that doesn't compare me to a person that saves lives for a living ...
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
HAH! My upgrade below.

900 mHz
128 mb SDRAM
40 gb Hard drive

I haven't bought a computer game since . . . um. . . Morrowind. And Morrowind won't play on the above computer.

I'm okay with that, right now. I've gotten a lot more writing done since I gave up PC gaming.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
You seem very happy with that, Dog, so [The Wave]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a new machine at Christmas and I expect it to last us for at least 5 years.

Pentium 4 3.4Ghz, 800FSB
1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533Mghz
256MB PCI Express NVida
160GB HD.

It flies like the wind.

msquared

[ March 07, 2005, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: msquared ]

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's like a doctor needing that anatomically correct model of 5 lbs. of fat.

I mean, don't you have a decent machine at work, but this allows you to devote all your free time to your job as well?

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Athlon XP 2500+;
Gigabyte nForce2 400 Ultra (MCP-T) board, forgot model;
Sapphire Radeon 9200 Atlantis (128 MB DDR);
80GB WD HDD (8 MB cahce, 7200 RPM);
512 MB of original Winbond BH-5 chips (PC-3200);

Bought in June 2003 for the price of US$850. Note that Israel is about 50% more expensive than the US.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I just upgraded from an Athlon 1ghz to a 2500+. Now, for that new video card...
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
2500+
So, TheTick, Athlon XP or Sempron?
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Athlon XP, got it from Newegg on one of their One Day sales, where it wasn't much more than the Sempron of a similar speed.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Remember: Athlon XP 2500+ is the speed of a Sempron 2600+, and has double the cache (as it's a Barton).
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
Currently, I have:

Athlon 2500+ (Barton)
Abit NForce 2 2.0 MCP-T
1 Gig Corsair DDR400 TwinX RAM
20 Gig hard drive
80 gig hard drive (no idea what speed)
ATi Radeon 9500 soft-modded to 9700 NP

Still runs everything that I need it to run. Most of my gaming has moved to consoles recently, so it works out to be cheaper for me. Thank goodness.

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

AMD 3200+ (Okay, so I overclocked it a tad, it is normally a 3000+ barton).
1 Gig Geil Ram
DFI Lanparty Nforce2 motherboard
Sound Blaster Audigy ZS2
80 Gig Hitachi SATA primary, 80 Gig WD IDE for backup
And my favorite part:
XFX Nvidia GeForce 6800GT w/256 Megs RAM. (And a REALLY big non-standard Arctic Cooling venting fan [Smile] )

Yeah. My monitor is what slows my computer down now. (Measly little 17" Sam's Club Special)

[ March 07, 2005, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Boris ]

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

486 @ 33 MHz.
16 MB of RAM.
Old, old graphics card (ISA) with 1024(!!!) KB of memory.
12" B&W monitor.
Microsoft DOS 6.2.

Just kidding.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.