FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bush was right (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bush was right
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing is more democratic and pro-American than keeping your mouth shut and your opinions to yourself, right? [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
To reverse the traditional Democratic proverb, Mormo--I may defend to the death their right to say the things they are saying, but that does not mean I have to like them.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The comment I made about Bush claiming this as his was due to his history of claiming other foreign peace victories as his.

He claimed that it was him who brought Khadafi to surrender the atomic weapons program, but doesn't mention the years of British diplomacy that worked to bring it about.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, clearly opposing totalitarian measures with no direct democratic oversight is anti-american and anti-democracy. I can think of no way people would ever interpret that as a pro-democracy, pro-american sentiment.

*rolls eyes*

The exact practice I have a problem with is removing the direct democratic oversight from decisions about shipping terrorist suspects to places they might be tortured. I am willing to condone it where there is a review by the executive branch, and where every effort is taken that they will not get tortured, but I'm not willing to give the CIA a free rein.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Or to make it more blunt:

How in the heck is being anti-torture being anti-american or anti-democratic?

I don't really know why I'm asking. However, I would appreciate it if, being one of the avowed pro-torture people on the board you would respond to my additional scenarios for torture, Occasional.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
On that matter, I think you are quite right, Fugu....I am not talking about that in particular. I will readily agree that a lot of things about the Iraq war and national security have been utterly mismanaged.

What I was agreeing with, however, was that Democrats have a tendency to object in ways that make them sound anti-America or anti-democracy--even when they are right. It's the phrasing, not necessarily the opinion.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
In this case its the "yea, right" smirk in the voice. There is no sign of hope, only hatred.

[ March 09, 2005, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Occasional ]

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
This was the whole point of my last post. (And I disagree with you. EDIT TO ADD: insofar as I don't believe the democrats are saying things that sound like this so much as I think they are being inaccurately portrayed as saying such things.) I think some conservatives are saying "Look how well things are going!" (whether they are or not), and then letting the implication be made that liberals do not want things to be going well. This is a strawman. I'm not anti-American or anti-soldier or anti-democracy. I hope things go well in Iraq now that we are there. And I resent being lied to, and the immorality we have engaged in, even if the ends should turn out to be good (again, something that has not been guaranteed).

Frankly, I would say that those who have brought us to this point are anti-democracy (lies, secrecy, lack of oversight, curtailing of freedom) and thus anti-American. And it is precisely my heritage of coming to America fleeing oppression and tyrany which make me resent the heck out of the turn we have taken. So it's particularly galling to have it suggested that those who oppose this administration oppose America. Frankly, I think I value America more than most full-blooded Americans do. I certainly believe I value the ideals of America more than our administration does.

[ March 09, 2005, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

(and I got my threads crossed a little above due to sleepiness, but it all works [Wink] )
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
In that case, I guess its a question of what one thinks Democracy means.

As the Liberals often like to say, who's values and who's America?

[ March 09, 2005, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: Occasional ]

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

Just a question out of curiosity, is there anything POSITIVE you can say about the United States and its government?
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a lot of positive things you can say about the government, but this does not negate the wrong things that are going on.
No system is perfect. Only blind robots praise a system all the time without critically thinking. We need a society of true patriots who question their government when they feel it's doing wrong, who actively participate in politics to keep it clean and honourable.
Like I have said before, It's not enough to say America is a free and wonderful country. Actions speak louder than words. The country must be held accountable so it can live up to its principals. You cannot run around trying to promote democracy in other nations without upholding it in your own backyard.
This is not how things work.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
I can say something positive about America's government: Bush will be out of office in 4 years.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I'm positive that Dubya&Gang love killing UStroops to keep their followers amused and distracted from the neo"conservative" looting of America.

[ March 09, 2005, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
is there anything POSITIVE you can say about the United States and its government?
I guess it reflects on my personality and issues, but I am often critical of the federal government, especially since Bush won in 2000.

I love America, and I criticize it because I think we can be better, and we should be a catalyst for freedom worldwide, just as Bush promised in his last inaugural address. But how can we preach freedom and democracy to others when our own constitutional freedoms are being taken away from us in the name of security and the war on terror?

[Blushing] Uhh, I guess I get preachy, and the answer to your question is "only with difficulty, qualifications and rhetoric included."

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Sure, and I say them, particularly about the United States.

It is because I value the US so much that I condemn what I consider to be practices undermining the principles we allegedly hold dear. Such as torture, and imprisonment without charges or trial, and other things. Some of these things may even be technically legal for the Bush administration to do, but that does not make them right to do, and the Bush administration's efforts to push every violation (or near violation, depending on who you talk to) of human rights to its utmost legal extension revolts me.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Why are people treating being accused of hating America seriously?

For what it's worth, I think that this situation is more complex than is being considered and that declaring victory now is as hollow as the "Mission Accomplished!" thing. Iraq and Afghanistan are years away from becoming stable, working democracies, even if they don't, like so many other countries, fail on the way. Nor are our interests necessarily best served and our problems done away with by democracy in countries (e.g. a democratic Saudi Arabia would make our position much less stable, which is why it's always absent from the President's list of countries that need to listen to their people). It's not some magic panacea that's going to make everything better.

The dice are still very much in the air and we face this situation with an administration that has shown little compunction about deceiving and even outright lying to the American public and often seems to do a poor job of anticipating and planning for things that could go wrong.

I'm still ambivilent about aggressively pursuing the spread of self-determination. I really hope it works out for us, but I'm convinced that this isn't going to happen if we cease holding the President accountable, as he and some other people seem to be suggesting we do.

[ March 09, 2005, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Then there is Dubya&Gang's success in foisting the neo"conservative" agenda upon Iraqi women.

[ March 10, 2005, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

With friends like these, who needs enemies? [Wave] I honestly believe that Democrats are placing themselves in a permanent minority status. They are never positive or hopeful in a very positive and hopeful thinking country. True, there are enough who think the same to not count the Democrats out. But, there is a vast Middle America who don't believe that things are as wrong as some here are saying.

To be fair, I can see your point about loving America enough to point out its faults. There are plenty of things I find fault with (although from my perspective it is things liberals would defend). The trouble is that the way liberals are doing it sounds possibly traitorous. For example, the best that could be done in answer to the question is say "but, I do love America," with incredable lack of details. However, it is not without extensive details of what is not liked.

In the end, however, you might have to come to the conclusion that "Your America" probably doesn't exist anymore other than the East and West Coast in major cities. My ideal doesn't either, but it feels closer to it than it has in several decades.

[ March 10, 2005, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: Occasional ]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Occassional, I've heard some of the right wing political pundits say some of the stuff you're saying -- about how liberals are HOPING that things go wrong (with the economy, Iraq, etc.) and how they are traitors because they criticize the Administration during a war. I know that one of them (Rush) went gave a speech to that effect to some troops.

All I have to say on it is that the attempts to demonize me will not make me go away or be silent when I see things that I think are wrong. If you'd care to actually go through the issues and talk about perspectives on them, I think we could have an interesting dialog. But it'd first have to start by you ceasing the name calling BS and demonstrate at least a willingness to listen to the reasons why I don't like some of the things that you may think are real successes. I do believe that there's much to discuss or ponder and that many of the disagreements are at the level of philosophies and ideals -- a realm where results (good or bad) are somewhat less critical to the discussion. The upshot being that I'm not going to be happy with some of the things our Administration is doing even if with 100 years of hindsight I was forced to admit that they worked out just fine.

I can understand how that might be tough to swallow when you feel like you can point to a string of successful projects, and how you and others might assume that I'm just being a partisan liberal sniping at your guy 'cuz he's not my guy. But if you'd care to explore the reasons more deeply, I think you might find that I (and others like me) have legitimate concerns that have nothing to do with which party is in power, but rather how the power is being used. And how it reflects on America in general or me, as a citizen of this country.

Up to you.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, why do you hate America? [Frown]

quote:
The trouble is that the way liberals are doing it sounds possibly traitorous.

For example, the best that could be done in answer to the question is say "but, I do love America," with incredable lack of details. However, it is not without extensive details of what is not liked.

Send me the loyalty oath form now. I see the error of my ways.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

edit: to Occasional

Your apparently inane definition of traitorous reveals, I think, how little your know about what it means to be a patriot.

[ March 10, 2005, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Icarus
Member # 3162

I think I was pretty specific in saying what I value about America and why my family came here. Freedom from tyrany and a say in what my government does. A government that does not lie to me. The bill of rights and due process under the law. A sense of being the "good guys" on the international scene. My anger is precisely because some of the things I love about America are being threatened.

If you can't see anything positive about America in my posts other than a vague "I still love America," then you aren't really paying any attention to me, and aren't worth trying to convince. (It stunned me that you could even ask the question after my two posts on the topic.)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Mr. Squicky--you are correct, but I find that I rise to the bait anyway because the charge is so personally offensive. It's all I can do not to stoop to their level.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
But I guess it's pretty easy for everyone to ignore aspectre's bulls*&^.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, I can say lots of positive things about this country and its government. I can say far, far fewer positive things about the current administration.

I take solace in the fact that even if "my America" only exists in large cities and along the coasts, that accounts for more than half of the population of the country, and more than two thirds of its total production. The remainder simply isn't worth all that much. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Until those people want to eat something.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Dag, I disagree, but, on second thought, maybe this isn't the most appropriate place for me to explain why.

[ March 10, 2005, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus,
From my perspective, it's just silly to get angry/offended by things like that. It's a choice to get angry and I don't see why you would give someone (especailly someone like Occ or aspectre) that kind of power over you.

It's like I've said before to you specifically. You've established yourself here. People know you. Heck, what you wrote in this thread makes Occ's accusation look stupid. People whose opinions matter didn't read it and think "Wow, Icarus must hate America." They thought "Occ sure is using some nutty, irresponsible tactics. He's way off base." You don't even need to say anything directly about the accusation. You've already won.

---

I, personally, lose some respect for people who take things that don't deserve respect seriously. To me, it's shows a small lack in discernment and self-control. It looks sort of like you're arguing with a 12-year old and putting them on an equal level. But then again, I've been told I approach arguments more like a robot than a human being, so there you go.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Dag, I disagree, but, on second thought, maybe this isn't the most appropriate place for me to explain why.
Ic, which one were you disagreeing with? I'm envisioning something like "that's what the 30-40% who voted for Bush in those states are for" in response to the food concern. [Smile]
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, Dag, I think of aspectre in pretty much the same way I think of Occasional.

They both talk out of their asses most of the time.

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to say what will happen to the Democratic party, but I am willing to bet it'll depend a lot on what they do in the next three years leading up to the 2008 election.

I find it hard to believe they will disappear or even fall much below where they are now. Bush doesn't have the commanding lead that the conservatives would like to believe. FDR won his second term with over 400 electoral votes, he virtually crushed his opponents into the ground. Likewise towards the end of his second term, the Republican party barely existed. They had like 10 seats in the house and maybe one in the senate. Roosevelt's blunders brought them back into power, but the fact that the Republicans are back on top today shows that anything can happen really.

And the gap between Republicans and Democrats today really is razor thin, which means anything could happen. If the Democrats smarten up and clarify their message, they will make some major gains, especially of the Republicans keep at their hate mongering against the Democrats, and MOST especially if the President drives our financial state into the ground like he is.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.