FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My giant springform pans have shipped!

Author Topic: My giant springform pans have shipped!
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got the e-mail notice. I ordered them this morning. I needed a 14” so we would have a bottom tier for our wedding-cheesecake (we already had 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, & 11, but no bigger.)

And I needed a 16” ‘cause as long as I was paying half again the cost of the pan for shipping I might as well get two pans out of the deal and only pay ¼ again the cost of the pans for shipping. And because . . . it’s a 16” springform pan. [Big Grin]

(edit -- we also have a square one that we got at a shower last week. How cool is that!)

[ March 07, 2005, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*measures with hands* Wow, that's big.

Wait a sec, you're baking your own wedding cake?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, chocolate with coconunt sprinkles and cherry cheesecake filling?

How about a stack of twinkies and call it a day?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a lot of pans!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Yep. The fancy part anyway. Mom will decorate (she did it professionally for years and years.) (Which is why we're having cheesecake -- no one in my family can stand actual cake after years of cake scraps and helping to make frosting.)

The tiered part won't be big enough for everyone, though, so the extras are coming from Cheesecake factory.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Dan, no. New York style, very crumbly, with purple royal icing flowers (the kind that get all hard and taste like meringue. And that I used to sneak into Mom’s cake room to eat.)
rivka
Member # 4859

*drool*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz] <---Me Licking the Icing
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
OOOh!!!! Can I come? Can I? Can I?

*jealous because she has no springform pans and cheesecake doesn't exist here in its proper form anyway*

*contemplates that she's being ridiculous because cream cheese is available, so she should quit being so lazy and make her own*

*realizes that she's off sugar, so that would be a major moving violation*

*contemplates her miserable sugar free, chocolate free life*

*runs from thread screaming*

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quid, do you use any of the sugar substitutes? You can bake with some of them at low temps (which is what cheesecake wants anyway).
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, I don't. Chemical substitutes are no good for me, chemically sensitive girl. I'm not off sugar permanently, just for a month or two or something. I've just been having a lot of health issues lately which I think would be better and more easily resolved if I get off it entirely for a while to let my body recover. Plus the theory is that I'll have the added bonus of breaking addictions, so my sugar consumption later may be lighter.

And then there's the whole even if I did sugar substitutes, they're not available here, so it doesn't really matter thing.

But thanks for asking.

*runs from thread again*

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yum.

On a similar note, Steve ordered me a covered lasagna pan(I alwasy hate to use tin foil) and a POPOVER pan. I am so excited.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*drool* cheeeesecake.

My springform pan hasn't even been opened. I've never trired making cheesecake. Hmm.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Mac, you must rush to the nearest library or bookstore and acquire The Joy of Cheesecake.

Dozens and dozens of variations. [Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

>_<

I did not need to know of the existence of this book. I already HAVE 15 or so cheesecake recipes!

quidscribis
Member # 5124

I have that book. Or one very similar to it. It's the bane of my existence. [Grumble]
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*DROOL*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Basic cheesecake is eaaaasy. Chuck makes it every once in a while. I love that man. For some reason, though, he usually has way more batter than pan. A good idea (if this happens) is to use a muffin tin and little muffin papers to make mini-cheesecakes!

Rats.

Now I want cheesecake!

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

So do I!

I hate you all.

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I love cheesecake. My mom makes a mean cheesecake, but it usually gets a brown crust on top. Does that always happen when you make them homemade?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arevoj
Member # 7347

- posted      Profile for arevoj   Email arevoj         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the temperature at which baked.
Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we definitely need to test out ALL of the cheesecake pans before they get used to make the wedding cake. Wouldn't want to screw that up, would we?

Maybe several tests are in order.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

[ROFL] My husband and his predeliction for sweets would dictate that you are correct on that, Bob. So test away! Just make sure you ship me some. . .
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yes, Bob, I would be happy to test the cheesecake, even if it is a little squised and a few days old.
It is only fair.
Plus, I am sure that it would only have a third of the calories at that point. That is my theory with day old bagels, anyway.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I love cheesecake! It'll be much better than any ordinary wedding cake!

I made a new kind of cheesecake (made with ricotta) for Valentine's day and it was wonderful. Is it a bad thing that I have an entire category in my recipe box devoted to cheesecake and brownies? [Big Grin]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I love cheesecake more than any other dessert in the world. Well, that I've tried as of right now. I had a friend in high school whose mother was a caterer at Lambeau Field, and they made cheesecake on a stick (cheesecake, stick, dipped in chocolate). Come Monday morning, we'd get all the leftovers. I loved those days.

My mom has a springform pan and doesn't use it much. I very much want to steal it. Borrow! I very much want to borrow it.

Crap. Now I want to go find cheesecake.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Goat cheese cake is my favourite [Smile]
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Goat cheese cake?!?!

That sounds tragically delicious. Wouldn't happen to have a recipe, would ya? *bats eyes*

Also - the best cheesecake I ever had was at the dorm cafeteria in college. It was a pumpkin cheescake with a pecan syrup.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Ohmigod, Cafe Latte here in town makes the best cheesecake, and the slices are huge, and one of their seasonal ones is a pumpkin pecan cheesecake that might be the best thing ever.

Although I've had goat cheese cakes that were quite good, too.

And honestly, I say "best ever" about a lot of food items when they're the ones I'm thinking of at the moment. [Blushing]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

They're here! And they're huge! But they aren't springform pans.

It's all KrabbyPatty's fault. She told me she found a source for oversized springform pans, and I went to it without looking closely and ordered "cheesecake pans." When they got here I found out they were just the loose-bottom kind, not springform.

Which is okay for most kinds of cheesecake, as long as it has a bottom crust. But should never, ever be used for Jr. Mints cheesecake because the mints will melt and the peppermint oil and melted sugar will run out the bottom of the pan and get all over the oven.

Not that I'm speaking from personal experience, of course. [Embarrassed]

But for plain, new york style wedding cheesecake, these will be fine. [Cool]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"loose-bottom kind,"

Hey! I've got a loose bottom!

quidscribis
Member # 5124

And you're bragging? [Eek!] [Eek!]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I'm just saying. Some people are so insensitive, you know? I mean, just throwing around the loose-bottom comments and all. Like we're not as good as those with springy forms. Sheesh.

[ March 12, 2005, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.