FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » BiWeekly Anime thread (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: BiWeekly Anime thread
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
My Neighbor Totoro

Barefoot Gen

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, dudes. Sorry to bump this but i didn't want to make a new one.

I have some new recommendations to add, and I figured you guys might, too.

Thank you to those who rec'ed Samurai Champloo. I'm only about 10 episodes in, and I love it sooo much. We have to pick and choose which episodes we let the boys watch, though. Quite a lot women getting sold to brothels in that one.

I've also rather gotten into Death Note though it is a bit predictable (you know that one character or another has some impossibly convoluted trick up their sleeve in every single episode), but I love it for teh uniquely creepy style and the fact that the golden boy (named Light, for goodness sake) is the mass murderer, while the creepy-looking loner is good guy.

At least so far. Please no spoilers! It is slow to come out on Netflix, and I cut it off for a while but now I'm catching up.

The boys are big Naruto fans, and I approve (though I get a little worn out if I have to watch too much of it with them).

Now that Avatar: The Last Airbender is over, I confess my love for it. I know it is American, but it still has strong Anime roots.

I watched some Blood and some Bleach, both of which were interesting until I failed to see them in order and was utterly lost.

Anything you guys want to recommend?

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
*cackles maniacally*

I might have a few things to mention [Wink]

I'll see about working up a list . . .

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Gurren Lagann! Studio Gainax's extremely funny yet extremely involving affectionate parody of shonen fantasy action. It celebrates how cool such shows can be while poking fun at the innate silliness of it all.

It also makes you care deeply for broad characters who really shouldn't come off as real, but do.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I got Bender's Game yesterday, but I'll be watching it tonight.

Yeah!

Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, after browsing three pages of this, I'm very glad

Death Note finally got a mention.

It is far and above my favorite anime. I'm not as well versed as some, that's for sure, but some of my other favorites

Rurouni Kenshin
Akira
Count of Monte Cristo (Ganku... something or other)

Death Note has such a dark style, that's so refreshing compared to the poppy lightness of most typical animes.

I watched Yu Yu back in the Cartoon Network days. Is it worth revisiting with a Japanese dub?

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Oh, and The Twelve Kingdoms, the epic fantasy story of a Japanese schoolgirl who falls into a magical alternate world, but finds no bishonen love interest waiting there.

Shocking, I know.

But seriously, excellent world-building, great characters, gorgeous animation, and a plot that keeps one on one's toes.

Olivet
Member # 1104

Oh, Bender's Game is vastly superior to Beast with a Billion Backs which was fun but uncomfortable in places.

We've seen it a couple times already. They really have fun with dungeons and dragons and LotR and stuff.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I like Bleach if only merely for the Samurai-epic of it, lacks realism so I get kinda sad, at least there is some attempt at strategy in the fights and not whomever is "Over Nine Thousand".

Naruto Manga is faster paced, my only problem with it is the slowness of the series (the anime) and the damnable filler. I like it more then bleach for its greater attempt at strategy, I like both thanks to some adherence as i said above to "rules" to how things go.

Although I think Bleach has too many characters. Do I care about the blond haired guy with the Hook sword? No way. Gimme more of Toshiro darnit.

Death Note is "Great" for the first half, the second half is "Good" but definitely downhill from the first. I think they missed some excellent opportunities for ingenius story telling for DN and instead jumped the shark.

Monster was Great.

The Tales from Earthsea anime adaption was interesting.

What I want to see? A Anime adaption miniseries based on Harry Turtledove's "Days of Infamy" he gets the Japanese dialog spot on I was like "This could be 2 Anime characters talking!".

As well as a Anime Dungeons and Dragons themed series that actually sticks to D&D rules. (With a clear distinction of "Wizards" who study the Art and "Sorcerors" who learn through experience and instinct)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:

Anything you guys want to recommend?

Fullmetal Alchemist is probably my favourite anime series of the last decade. I mentioned why on the first page of this thread.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Agreed. We loved that one! but since I mentioned it before I didn't do it again to avoid redundancy.

Still, it deserves a mention because it was great all the way through. Many anime start strong and end up with major head-scratchers. It must be a cultural thing. I keep telling myself that Wolf's Rain would have made sense to me if I were only Japanese.

T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
What the hey dude, I mean you get some points for mentioning "Totoro" and "Spirited Away", but not "Porco Rosso" and "Pom Poko"?

Edit: Adding "Castle in The Sky"

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Bleach! It's just a fun sort of super-epic anime. Death Note was fantastic, and we watched it religiously when it came out on Adult Swim.

An anime that I like (sorry if it's already been mentioned) is Elfen Lied. It's not really child appropriate as it has a couple of shots of nudity, but it's a really tragic sort of anime. It's short, too. Something like 12 or 13 episodes.

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

Adding also "Nausica of the Valley of the Wind", "Howl's Moving Castle" and Lupin III.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Most of Miyazaki has already been put forward on past pages.

Lanfear, I loved Gankutsuou!

I'm taking notes...

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been hearing REALLY good things about Samurai 7. It's approximately 23 episodes and it's a retelling of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. Apparently it takes place in feudal Japan but with some steam punk influences. It's drawn by the same studio that does Full Metal Panic. I want to check this one out.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I like most of the series that have been mentioned, but I'm a much bigger fan of the "slice of life" genre of anime. My favorites are Lovely Complex and Genshiken. And I did love the original Naruto , but Shippuuden is absolutely horrible. (I still love the manga, though. [Smile] )

A silly, interesting anime is Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei . Very odd. And a classic great is Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Oh, cool. I think I may just print this out...

I LOVED Samurai 7!!!

Member # 11614

Samurai seven was awesome!
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently watched Ergo Proxy (one season, 23 episodes) and I loved the hell out of it. Be warned, though, it's intense, and deep as hell. I enjoyed it more than GitS, and that's saying something.

I saw both the subtitled Japanese and English dub versions, and the voice acting was spectacular in both versions. Very little if any was lost in translation.

I liked the first half of Death Note, though the manga is better, IMO. FMA is a great watch and a great read too. Don't much care for Naruto, Bleach, or One Piece, though to be fair I didn't give them much of a chance.

If you want to bawl your eyes out, I suppose I'd reccomend Saikano, though be warned, It's depressing as hell, and deals with very mature themes. Definitely 16+, in my opinion.

I read Air, and I liked it. Haven't seen the anime.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I am going slightly crazy for an anime called "Shugo Chara." The second season just started and nothing has happened yet (the animators seem almost scared to do a filler.) But otherwise, its loads of fun. Its a classic magic-girl anime with a theme about following one's dreams and being true to yourself. It embraces the beloved cliches and challenges the stupider ones (the heroine is not some lovable, klutz.) A girl who appears aloof and cool to her classmates secretly wants to be just a cute, confident girl. One morning she wakes up to three colorful eggs in her bed who each hatch into a magical personality that reflects on aspect of her dream-self. They also bestow her with magical powers and she fights to protect the dreams of others while still trying to discover her own course in life.

I also discovered the anime version of "Twlight" sans vampires. Its called "Itazura no Kiss" (It Started With a Kiss.) You just want to smack some sense into the heroine and beat the hero for being such a jerk...and yet its oddly addictive. A girl writes a confession-letter to the smartest, cutest boy in school who rejects her without even reading it. Back at home, an earthquake destroys her new home. Her father tells her that an old friend has offered to take them in and...dum dum dum...his son is the boy who rejected her! Craziness ensues!

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
Oh, cool. I think I may just print this out...

I LOVED Samurai 7!!!

Just watched it with the Mrs and my brother, I'm definitely intrigued. [Smile]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
I like most of the series that have been mentioned, but I'm a much bigger fan of the "slice of life" genre of anime. My favorites are Lovely Complex and Genshiken.

Then, I'm going to have to mention Lucky Star. I guess you could say it's similar to Azumanga Daioh.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I still need to watch Lucky Star. I only watched the first episode and I know that never works with anime, but I haven't been able to muster up the interest to watch any more. I'm sure it gets better as it goes on. And I do like Azumanga Daioh.

I'm going to try Itazura na Kiss which Shanna suggested. I really like the shoujo anime. But I prefer the ones where people actually get together, at least eventually.

Forgot to mention: Initial D but it may have been mentioned earlier in the thread. It doesn't get much better than fun guys and car races.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently viewing an older anime called Touch based of a manga of the same name. Read the series to completion and now I'm moving through the episodes like an addict.

Has anyone else heard of this anime/manga?

Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Trent Destian:
I'm currently viewing an older anime called Touch based of a manga of the same name. Read the series to completion and now I'm moving through the episodes like an addict.

Has anyone else heard of this anime/manga?

Yes, it's by Adachi Mitsuru. He has a couple of other baseball series, the most recent called Cross Game, serialized in Weekly Shounen Sunday. He doesn't do much else besides romantic-comedy-sports manga. One of his series that seemed to break the trend was Niji Iro Tougarashi, an Edo period manga.

After a while, you notice that he's been drawing the same story for almost thirty years.

Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I'm watching Itazura na Kiss right now. It really is like Twilight! I'm cracking up at the similarities. "He's seventeen but he doesn't like girls at all!"
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Ponyo was kinda cute movie. Catchy music.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Anyone else notice there was alot of poisonous species depicted?
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I've been dying to see it. It's already playing over here? Ack. [Frown]
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

More like raining... over here.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Huh?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.