FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » *sigh*.. Just finished Cowboy Bebop...

Author Topic: *sigh*.. Just finished Cowboy Bebop...
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
No, not the movie (which is excellent), but the series. Seriously, only cartoon where I've felt close to crying. The writers and translators did an INCREDIBLE job. Simply amazing.

I must confess, I aspired to be an anime freak. I have all the standard social outcast issues, love mecha, etc... but I've found most anime's I've seen.. less than fullfilling. I guess I just don't dig non-western plot development, or most of the translations aren't that hot. Lots of eye candy, though. Guns and cars and planes and ships and motorbikes and robots...
...I digress. Suffice to say, Cowboy Bebop has convinced me that truly excellent anime exists... even though it might be rare.

For those of you who enjoy anime, I'm pleased to join your ranks. For those of you who absolutley think it's the dumbest thing since sales tax, go out and rent the Cowboy Bebop series (6 dvd's, 4 episodes a dvd). If it doesn't change you mind about anime, nothing will.

Woof.

[ March 09, 2005, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: Wonder Dog ]

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Ein [Smile]
Yeah. Cowboy Bebop was great. I don't think western producers could make something of that caliber (And if they did, it wouldn't be just 26 episodes). At any rate, if you haven't already checked out Trigun, do so (And don't let the first few episodes fool you. It actually gets REALLY serious near the end of the series). That's the one that showed me not all Anime sucks, just Dragonball, Pokemon, and the like. There was, of course, another great short series (about 20 episodes) based on the Gundam universe I saw a few years ago (Can't remember the title) that was incredibly well done also.

[ March 09, 2005, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: Boris ]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
You should look up Wolf's Rain, its done by the same people who created Cowboy Bebop.
Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Same composer too...
Yoko Kanno.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

Yoko Kanno's (sp?) music totally rocked. It added such a great depth to the whole thing - sometimes showing that the series didn't take itself too seriously... which ironaclyy made me like it more.

Boris: You're totally right about Western producers. They would have milked it dry until it was a usless hunk of passe story-telling. As much as it pains me to say, keeping it to 26 episodes shows real belief in the integrity of your sotry and charachter. A hallmark of excellent story-telling.

Thank you all for your recomendations... I'll try to check them all out... warning, though: I'm pretty fickle. I only respond well to good charachter development and good story telling.

Odd question: Did Yoko Kanno and the Seat Belts perfor all the songs for the series? Or did she write them and get other artists to perform? The music is just so... diverse. And so very very good.

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen the Cowboy Beebop title all over (Netflix, Suncoast, etc.) but haven't watched it yet. I think I'll go put it on my Netflix Queue now. [Smile]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Yoko Kanno has to be one of the most talented non-classical composers alive. Her songs work well with the context of the shows they are written for, but also stand well on their own. I highly recommend picking up any soundtracks you can get your hands on, especially Bebop.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
She can do some good classical stuff too. She can do it all.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

My favorite song from Bebop is her song about her puppy and a cat... she sings a bit in french, too... We Qui Non Coin. (Thanks, google.) It's just so... child-like and mello. Then you get to contrast it with the outrageous cool cool jazz, some hippity hop, opera, east indian and a bit about pi. KarlEd, definetly que this series. I can't say enough about how awesome it is.
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
Blue.

One of my favorite songs ever. And absolutely perfect for the scene it accompanies.

"Never seen a bluer sky..."

[Hail] Yoko Kanno

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Seriously, only cartoon where I've felt close to crying.
Read. Maus.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Close to crying?

Damn.. I cried like a b$*@% at the end.
And yes... Blue is very powerful.... with the star dying at the end... [Cry]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Wolf's Rain didn't do much for me.

Karl - whatever you do and I do mean whatever you do, don't watch the end of the series without watching all of the prior episodes first.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

Teshi: Read? I think I can, a bit... Maus? Is this a book? Or someones pet? Or a manga? [Confused]

Telp: I was a cry-baby as a kid, so now I try and keep the tears to a minimum, no matter what. Acutally, the part that got me the most is when Ed leaves. (Hard Luck Woman). When Spike and Jet see the message on deck... and the windmill... (sobs). *snif* I loved Ed.

And of course the last two episodes are obsolutely(sp?) incredible and very, very emotional.

"Bang."

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a graphic novel by a man named Art Spiegelman, chronicling his father's experiences as a Jew in Nazi Germany. He drew the characters as animals, all, the Jews mice and the Nazis cats. It's a powerful experience, reading that graphic novel.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Or watch Grave of the Fireflies. Man I think it was a mistake to watch that with my daughter. She was only 5 when I watched it. She didn't really pay too much attention though so it wasn't too traumatic for her. For me on the other hand...
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Maus
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Cowboy Bebop is the show that changed my mind about anime, too. It's awesome.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

TS! SPOILER! *Admonish*

I cried at the end of Haibane Renmei and several other scenes.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.