FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do you RSS?

Author Topic: Do you RSS?
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone here using RSS feeds to cut back on their web surfing? If so, which ones?

My current list:

Arts: Fireflyfans.net, WHEDONesque, Yahoo! Entertainment, News Askew. Television Without Pity, Defamer
Books: eReader features, eReader new books, FictionWise new books, Amazon Science Fiction, Project Gutenberg new books, Powell's Books Daily Dose
Comics: New releases, Comic Alert, Comic Book Resources, Dilbert, Doonesbury, Calvin & Hobbes, PVP Online
Humor: Dave Barry's Blog, Fark.com, The Onion, Daily Show headlines
Movies: Comics2Film, IMDb News, DVD News and Features
News: Yahoo! Top stories, assorted AP feeds, Snopes
Opinion: Molly Ivins, Mark Morford
Politics: Media notes, NYT Opinion, Wonkette, WP Editorials
Tech: Boing Boing, Slashdot, Gizmodo, Wired News, Writing on Your Palm
Writers: Making Light, Mark Evanier, Neil Gaiman, Peter David

and I add and drop feeds regularly. I've got my own, from my LJ page, but it seems to only work intermittantly.

So which great ones am I missing?

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, forgot ComingSoon.net and Hollywood.com for movie news...

[ March 10, 2005, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve tried to add some but it seems like a bunch don’t work so well. Seems to be still new and developing.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never used RSS. What exactly is it used for?
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely every feed I have is a webcomic feed. That makes me awesome.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
You are awesome, but that's not why. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz] You're sweet. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not posting my list here because its very, very long.

Jay: what have you tried to add them to?

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
**disappointed**

I thought this was going to be a thread of clever interpretations of the acronym RSS. You know...like Read Silly Stories.

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

mph: RSS (and there's some minor disagreement as to what RSS stands for) is a simple, web-based syndication format, which a news reader (maybe a program, maybe a website -- there's a very popular news reader called bloglines), subscribed to an RSS feed (well, many RSS feeds), regularly pulls down (every hour or two, say, in the case of a news reader program).

Two essential parts of RSS are that it is simple, and that it is item based. Most RSS feeds consist of a series of items with titles, descriptions, and links (to the full version of the item on the web, or something the article references), and little more. This is important because it is thus very easy to skim and consume RSS items (and also very easy to render them programmatically, which has contributed greatly to their spread).

Furthermore, because it is item based, your news reader can tell the difference between new items and old items. So you don't bother looking at a bunch of old items, or at feeds with no new items, et cetera (partly it depends on how you choose to view your items -- you might look at a feed at a time, or just have your news reader show you all the new items on all the feeds).

I usually have my news reader show me all the new items on all the feeds, then I quickly go down the list and discard (metaphors for interacting with items varies by news reader) the ones I'm not interested in and read the ones I'm interested in, based on the title and the source. I can finish a few hundred items from dozens of websites in a couple of minutes, easily, as I don't read most of them, and then spend a couple of minutes more reading the links of interest I opened in the background in a web browser.

This makes RSS indispensable for dealing with high volumes of information.

Another useful aspect of RSS is that it is effectively a publish-subscribe mechanism. If you have a website that publishes something new only rarely, you don't want to visit it every day, you want to only visit when something is new. RSS enables that. Because a news reader checks regularly (but you don't have to be aware of it) and has indicators for which feeds have unread/new items, you're immediately aware which sites have new things. This makes it great for monitoring, say, software projects. Indeed, one of the big uses of RSS is internal communication -- if everyone in a programming division publishes an RSS feed with quick notes on what they're working on/what they've finished/what they're having problems with, and everyone subscribes to all the feeds, collaboration is much improved. Further, if formats are agreed upon for certain statements its extremely easy to add programmatic functionality -- for instance, whenever a new target build stage is chosen, you might publish an RSS item with [BUILD version date] in the title, and each person's customized news reader might add when that build should be done to their calendar software.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
"My Yahoo" has an RSS reader that you can use on your own page. I think it's the local newspapers fault that their links don't work right. Tried to get them to fix it, but they don't seem to know much. A couple of others I've added just never have updates. Again, their fault too. I like the idea, I guess it just seems that some of these places that try it don't set it up right.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"This makes RSS indispensable for dealing with high volumes of information."

The problem I have with RSS is that I have very little desire for information. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Jay - you might try some of them again, later. I've gone to add RSS feeds and received error messages at one time, and then had them work later on. No clue why, but it happens.
fugu13
Member # 2859

See, Tom, that right there is a big difference between us [Wink] [Razz]
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I use Bloglines. I used to use a desktop reader -- it had some nice functions, but it was slow and didn't work with 'atom' feeds (Blogger uses atom).

All of my feeds are either Mormon or pr/marketing related. But thanks to Chris, I may be adding some speculative fiction-related ones soon.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The company I am working for has an RSS Feature on its sales tracking software. I didn't know what it was for. Now I do.

Thanks.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

For those who never visit the front page. OSC has an RSS feed.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
*copies and pastes from LiveJournal userinfo*

anime_bt, animesuki, apod, bronzearchives, calnhobbes, davebarrycolumn, electoralvote, leaky_cauldron, madowl_feed, menas_corner_6a, metastasis_, new_rss_feed, officialgaiman, shutepandwrited, shutupandwrite, westeros_feed, whedonesque, wilwheaton, xnera_netflix

Some of those are dormant, and others are on a friends filter I don't check often. Eventually I'll probably play around with a real RSS aggregator, but for right now I'm happy that LiveJournal lets you add RSS feeds as friends. It's convenient to read the feeds on my Friends page.

I think my favorite is probably my Netflix feed. If an update appears, then that means they've just received some DVDs from me and are ready to ship the next one. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Chris, where did you find an IMDb feed? I've been looking around on the site for one but have so far had no luck.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

It was a scraped feed -- another site grabbing headlines from IMDb and maing their own RSS feed -- but it's returned errors for the last week so I killed it.

xnera - what's the "shutupandwrite" one?

The one LiveJournal creates for my page there is http://www.livejournal.com/users/cabridges/data/rss but it doesn't work for me. Anyone want to try it and see if they have more luck?

xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the feed for Taalcon's site. The one ending with a "d" is his blog.

Also, LiveJournal offers Atom feeds as well as RSS feeds. Maybe try the Atom feed instead? Yours is at http://www.livejournal.com/users/cabridges/data/atom

[ March 11, 2005, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: xnera ]

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Your feed works fine in Bloglines. What reader/aggregator do you use?
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Pluck, which seems to handle everything else just fine. Wondering if it's because I've been to my page entries so it never thinks I have anything new to see...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.