FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wise, Creative Hatrackers, your assistance is requested

Author Topic: Wise, Creative Hatrackers, your assistance is requested
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I am making a documentary about the Society for Creative Anachronism for one of my classes. I need a title. It would be boring to just call it "The Society for Creative Anachronism." I need something catchy, clever, or more descriptive. Something about medieval living, or the SCA in general. Any thoughts?
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
How about:

"Living the Past"

or

"Playing Yesterday Today"

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
or just "Playing Yesterday".
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Playing with your yesterday.

Playing in never-was.

Living in Never-Was.

The Kingdom of Sheboygan (or wherever your report takes place).

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
History, Roleplaying and Puffy Shirts: A Complete Look at Geeks with the Time, Money and Ambition to Contrive at Least One Solid Social Event a Year.

-With a forward by Chair Director Cathal Mac Edan na faeled (James Pratt)

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are good suggestions. Thanks!

Ralphie, that one is descriptive, but it might be too long.

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hester - set phasers to sarcasm. [Smile]
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Society for Colorful Armor
Football is for underachievers!
Forged in the fires of Home Depot!
Seriously Creative Accidents
Armor, Amore
Long Live Frodo!

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Demented and Sad, but Social.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Ralphie
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

"We beat each other with sticks! Aye, really big sticks!"

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

Yes, Trevor, Home Depot or dumpsters.

Or maybe just "Frodo Lives!"

[Smile]

Thank you, Karl and Dan, for being helpful. And thank you, others, for providing me with entertainment.

If I had to make a decision right now, I think I would go with, "Don't dare mess with us, or we'll get medieval on your butts!" It's a work in progress.

TMedina
Member # 6649

"Chainmail - it's the old khaki"

-Trevor

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
(rats. I wanted to be the entertainment.)

"My foam covered imitation sword is bigger than your foam covered imitation sword"

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
"Hot dogs. Armored hot dogs."

"Live in the past, the rent is cheaper"

"For King and country, and miserable little cabins"

"In Days of Old When Knights Were Bold and Duct Tape Was Invented..."

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We're just harmless, historical nuts
Who wear boiler plate on our butts
Who dress up clothes from the 12th century
And bash on each other with sticks and debris
And make up the world's largest private army...
Harmless historical nuts."
- Leslie Fish

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
do they use plastic swords? I know a re-enactor who is less than enthusiastic about that. She hangs with people who use real hardware. [Taunt] [Wink]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

SCAdian fighters use weapons made out of rattan. It's kind of like bamboo. And covered in colorful duct tape, to distinguish the theoretical blade edges from the rest of the sword. They can still hit each other with it, but it won't kill anyone. And I've seen lots of people carry actual metal weapons around, but they're not allowed to fight with them.

But no, we do not use plastic weapons.

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo... Rattan. That could probably hurt.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Once and Future Knights
Ghost of Battles Past
Old, Unhappy, Far-off Things
The Glory that was Camelot

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I might be including the SCA in my thesis. It's on William Morris, the medievalism of the Victorians and Raphaelites, and how the people of today still need to find meaning in the world of the medieval through role playing (I'm going have a ball working on Dark Age of Camelot). My professor mentioned the SCA to me in one of our meetings. He gave me several tips on what I should do to talk to them, starting with "Well, first you're going to have to wipe that shit-eating grin off your face."

Sorry for the launguage, but that was so funny, unexpected, and somberly delivered that I laughed for about a minute.

[ March 10, 2005, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I've seen lots of people carry actual metal weapons around, but they're not allowed to fight with them.
I know that most the carded fighters that are here use steel swords, at least at practice and small tournaments, for sure.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
--Time Travel Incorporated--
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
The Peasants Are Revolting!
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Just to set the record straight, the SCA is about all aspects of medieval society. Fighting, though the most visible, is really a small part of it. Getting drunke in thee olde fashon'd way wyth thee royal mead is also a time honored SCA activity.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
"Does this wimpel make me look fat?"
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Peasants Are Revolting!
Someone's been reading too much of "The Wizard of Id".
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

That joke is so old, the whiskers are down to its knees--at least. As it so happens, I first heard it in the Mel Brooks comedy History of the World--Part I.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Why, who, what, when, where?!

I completed the WH list.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.