FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Pain of Giving

Author Topic: The Pain of Giving
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
This week has been horrible for my wife and I. We're moving next month and can't take our dog and cats with us. Two nights ago, we gave our youngest cat to a young family in the ward that will absolutely adore her until she dies. Today, we gave our older/ mellower cat to a couple down the street that just wanted a cat to fill a void and eat and sleep and sit (she was perfect). Tommorow, we have a single mom coming to look at Peanut our Golden Retriever.

My point is, it's amazing how much impact an animal can have on our lives. These things that have a very limited communication ability, can leave huge wholes in our homes when they're gone. I just find the emotions I'm feeling, fascinating. I know they're all with (or going to be with) great families that will take care of them and maybe we're missing them more than they'll ever miss us.

I know there's not much room for discussion in this thread, but I think it's nice having that urge to have a pet engrained in all of us.

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*sympathy hugs*

And good for you for finding such loving homes for them. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I totally understand.

When I left Canada for Sri Lanka to marry that guy, I took my cats with me. I couldn't be parted from them - I have too much of an emotional bond with them.

Good luck, and may they all have good homes.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, when my family left England, we had to leave my dog, Rumpole, an English Springer Spaniel. I was almost thirteen, and my sister was six. It was the hardest thing that had happened to me up until that point. So I completely understand.

Now, we have a dog again... half spaniel, half retriever, named Tallulah... we got her about two and a half years ago. But she's in the US, and my family is in Israel. We had to leave her again. This time it's not permanent, just for a year, but it brought back painful memories of the previous time.

We gave Rumpole to a family that had had a springer, and it died. The girl, who was seventeen at the time, had been devastated. Rumpole didn't replace him, but helped. So I know they're loving and caring for him.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.