FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Great Grey Owls (Photos)

Author Topic: Great Grey Owls (Photos)
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
Over the last month or so, Northern Minnesota and Wisconsin have seen a very large influx of Great Grey Owls. Normally these owls are very shy and elusive and rarely seen. Their normal food supply (lemmings, mice, etc) is experiencing a low point in their population cycle so they've moved south.

My parent's live in Wisconsin and I took a couple photos.

Owl Photos

For those who live in MN and WI..you should take a trip up north and try to spot them. They are amazing. You can see many on telephone poles right next to the road. On one road I spotted over 12 owls - County Rd D between Grantsburg, WI and Alpha's County Rd M.

[ March 11, 2005, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Traveler ]

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool pictures! I don't think I've ever seen an owl from quite the angle captured in the second photo.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Voldemort's back!! [Eek!]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Gorgeous. [Smile] I've forwarded the link to Dave.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

The owl was flying directly at me in the 2nd picture. Almost moved out of the way but then decided to shoot the photo instead. Luckily it veered away at the last second.

My mother was with me later on during the day and I was taking a photo of an owl..it got spooked and flew off towards my mom. Normally, they only fly a little bit away and then land again on something. The owl I spooked flew towards my mom and was beginning to look like it was going to land on my mom's head since she had been standing so still. It had its 'landing gear' down (my mom's words) before my mom ducked. It then went to the tree behind her.

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
aw! So cool. I love owls.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myr
Member # 5956

- posted      Profile for Myr   Email Myr         Edit/Delete Post 
What great shots!
Posts: 105 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
So cool!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

Thanks. =) I'm going up there again this weekend (if the weather is nice). It is snowing as I type..so hopefully that will pass.
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
These are quite pretty.

Plus, they're a hoot to boot!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA*gunshots*

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Almost moved out of the way but then decided to shoot the photo instead. Luckily it veered away at the last second.

So you were playing chicken with the owl? Ha ha.

Those are neat pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

I've added a couple more photos.
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, amazing. Especially the one flying right towards you. Just a fantastic shot.
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

Be sure to click on the photo to open up larger views. I think the thumbnails are a little dark..due to their processing perhaps. Also, once you have opened the mid-size view then you can click on the 'View different sizes' link to the right under the 'Additional Information' heading and open up the large view.
Traveler
Member # 3615

I'm bumping my own thread for no reason except that it was at 13 posts and that felt very unlucky.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.