FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tell us the story....

Author Topic: Tell us the story....
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
....of how you met your wife/husband/partner/boyfriend/girlfriend/sig. other.

I was at a party last month and we ended up sitting around the dinner table making all the couples tell us the story of how they met. (I am single, so this was especially easy for me to do.) [Smile] It was really fun, and KarlEd's landmark got me thinking of good meeting stories too. I'm SURE there are some great ones involving Jatraqueros.

Even if your SO isn't on Hatrack, I want to know. Was it love at first sight? Love at first site? [Wink]

Spill it.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
What, you want another thread like this one ? [Razz]
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

That thread asks the all important question of "Where." Obviously, we need threads that ask "Who, What, When, Why, and How." [Razz]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Well see, I sometimes hang out on this website . . .
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too, Dana. I met mine through an online book club. [Razz]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually go with "online book discussion group," so same idea. [Big Grin]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I met him in the kitchen of his own apartment and I was wet and scantily clothed. [Big Grin]

Or, in less salacious terms, I was swimming at an apartment complex with a friend of mine from work. She introduced me to her new neighbor, Vaughn, who was going to be attending the same college I went to.

I needed to use a phone, and my friend was busy with her son, so Vaughn offered to let me use his. We went up to his apartment, and while there I met his roommate, Wes.

That night we all went out as a group, just having fun, and about a week later Wes and I went out alone together for the first time and that was it. [Smile]

Now I find myself in an interesting situation - because I don't want to be a hypocrite but I also don't want to advise my daughters to go into a stranger's apartment wearing nothing but a bathing suit. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
At least you didn't marry a perfect stranger. [Angst]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
You asked. I'll take any excuse to post this. [Big Grin]

Dagonee
P.S., I meant any excuse.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] Yes, Dag, we know, we know!

Well, fine then. I'll post the link to my story, too! Lookie here.

But yours is funnier. And cuter. While mine is just plain crazy. [Dont Know]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
It's all right here in my landmark.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Wow. Those stories are amazing. Quid!!! That's fantastic! I mean, I knew you guys were spur of the moment, but how romantic! And I loved the bev/porter narrative...and Dag and Belle....

*sigh* Wonderful stories!! [Big Grin]

Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel was 8 weeks old the day I met my husband in person for the first time. I'd divorced my first husband during the pregnancy and kept custody of his daughter.

So I was a single mom with 2 kids when I met my husband.

His best friend at the time worked with him at the police department. Said friend was married to a hairdresser. The hairdresser is the only person who has cut my hair in 10 years.

So one day she asks me, "Can I give your number to a friend of my husband's?"

He called me a few days later. We talked. We shared. We laughed. Every day for 2 weeks. For hours.

For our first date, he drove over an hour to join me at church. Afterwards, he came to the house to meet my parents. We sat on the couch and watched...something...cartoons I think, on tv for hours. He didn't kiss me. He didn't even touch my hand, though we were sitting right next to each other and I wanted him to...

At one point, I was holding Daniel but I needed to go do something. So I handed the baby to him. He held him out from his chest rather stiffly. Then he looked down into the boy's eyes and melted. It was when he sighed that I knew.

I walked him out to his car. "Can I come back tomorrow?"

He did. He brought me my favorite kind of soda, too. We sat in the backyard, in the swing, and talked about where we were going to live after the wedding. He held my hand. I held his, too. "Can I come back tomorrow?"

He did. He took us to his house. He kissed me. He asked me never to leave.

I did, but I came back a week and a half later as his wife.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Boon, that is a wonderful story, and beautifully written.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Boon! Week and a half!

Okay, I gotta know - how long from meeting to marriage?

Edit to add: Cuz otherwise I sound really ditzy. It sounds like under two weeks. Is it true? Is there someone here who's even crazier than me? Is it? Is it? [ROFL]

[ March 12, 2005, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: quidscribis ]

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Orson Scott Card came to BYU for the Life, the Universe, and Everything symposium (sf/fantasy writing, roleplaying, art). I attended his opening speech and another class, which was awful. I went to a computer lab on campus and checked the Discussions about Orson Scott Card side to see if anyone had posted.

Jon Boy had started a thread about having a book signed by OSC, and several others had posted saying they were there too. After much discussion, we decided to meet for lunch as a group at Brick Oven in Provo.

Two weeks later, on March 1, 2003, we met. I was very interested. I could tell he was interested too; don't ask me how. I kept expecting him to ask for my phone number. We finished eating and I wanted to give him more time to do that, so I invited everybody over to my apartment to play cards.

Several hours later, everyone left. Jon Boy still hadn't asked for my number. I was very disappointed, but I figured he didn't just because it would have been awkward to do it in front of everybody else. I figured he'd look me up in the school directory and give me a call in a few days.

So a few days go by. I'm starting to think that I'm going to seriously regret it if I let him go and never see him again. I think that because he's a nice, Mormon boy, he might feel weird about "stalking" me and calling me without me giving him my number or my permission. I imagine him wanting to call but never doing it.

So I email him saying I enjoyed meeting him and wanted to get to know him better. I gave him my number and told him he could if he wanted to. He emailed me back right away and called that night. Our first date was a week later. It was basically major chemistry from then on. We would talk for hours on the phone and in person, and I could spend a whole day with him and never get tired of his company. We got married on August 23rd, 2003.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fishtail
Member # 3900

- posted      Profile for Fishtail   Email Fishtail         Edit/Delete Post 
I put this in the other thread, so here's the short version: We were both brought to a chocolate & champagne party by college friends of the host. I recognized that he wasn't one of the "regulars" and used that as the means to introduce myself. Gave him my number at the end fo the party and he called the next day, but I made him wait almost 3 weeks for the first date. Together ever since, now engaged.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
She was my arresting officer.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me, or do the people on Hatrack have extremely short courting periods?

-"Single Boy" Javert

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
This guy was hired to cover me at the Kinkos I worked at while I went on vacation with my boyfreind.Dumped the job, some months later, dumped the boyfriend, and stopped by the Kinko's to ask the guy out. We were married 4 months later, and yes, I proposed too.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
She was my arresting officer.

Did she book you?

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Zing.

As a rule, puns amuse no one but those who tell them. [Razz]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
He was my best friends ex-husband. She secretly thought we were meant to be together, and so arrainged for his room mate to have an "accident"(well, she found him another place to live, really). Then, she got on my case about how poor Jakeie Poo needed a roommate so badly, and wasnt I unhappy where I was living? And wouldnt it be fun if I moved in with Jake? She took horrible advantage of the fact that I had had a crush on him for a year and a half, and manipulated both of us mercilessly. So, I moved in. A month and one hot game of spin the bottle later, we were an item. It's been 2 years, and we now own 5 cats. Thats the most commitment anyone has ever gotten out of me:). And my best friend will have my eternal gratitude for being such a manipulative wench.
Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel sorry for you boyfriend foundling. Your best friend already has the inside dirt on him.

[ March 12, 2005, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged ]

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
13 days. Yes, I'm nuts.

Great stories, everybody!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, wowbanger, it was an unfair advantage. And she held nothing back. But, he had an advantage in that he was my first serious relationship. I was starting at scratch, and had no idea how to treat a guy, so I always erred on the side of being way too nice. That quickly changed. [Evil Laugh]

[ March 12, 2005, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: foundling ]

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Boon, I respect you even more than I did before! 13 days is amazing! [Kiss] *does Snoopy dance* I'm no longer the craziest person at Hatrack! *remembers she married a perfect stranger* *slinks out of thread*

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.