FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Take a minute...

Author Topic: Take a minute...
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so how many words can you think of in the English language that are spelt exactly the same, yet are pronounced differently, and have different meanings?

Someone asked me this recently, and my sister and I could only come up with eleven. It was rather amusing when we were sitting at the dinner table and my brother pronounced a word the "wrong" way (for the context he was using it in), and my sister and I both corrected him and then looked at each other and shouted "that's a WORD!" and started giggling crazily.

We're perfectly normal people, I swear.

So, I've given you one example to get you started. Aaaand GO!

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Bat.

Actually, not even, because it's always pronounced the same. So my example is no good.

[ March 11, 2005, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: digging_holes ]

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
read
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
close

In Japanese there are alot of these, like hashi means chopsticks and bridge, depending on the intonation.

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

Ooh. Read was on my list, but close wasn't. [Smile]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
polish

affect

lead

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

lives

and live, I guess

[ March 11, 2005, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

Okay, lead and live/s were on the list. Polish I'll give you, even though it has to be capitalised one way. But what's the other pronunciation of affect?

'Course, I'm one of those people who frequently think they know how to pronounce something because of only ever reading it and not hearing it. (I do know how to pronounce affectation, which was my first thought of the other meaning of affect - is it pronounced differently when it means that?) [Smile]

[ March 11, 2005, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: tt&t ]

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Affect? Maybe where you're from...

Wind. Number. Intimate.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Hm, although I intially thought the pronunciation was different, now I realise that affect and affect are actually only different inside my head- how disappointing.

EDIT:

I think the distinction is slight.

To me, the affect as in "he tried to affect a English accent" has a slightly purer "a" and more stress on the FECT.

[ March 11, 2005, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
actually, I get the affect one. The first definition is, you know, affecting something. The second is describing a person's look in psychological terms, what their "affect" is, and is pronounced differently.

At least here in New England.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
aFFECT (verb): to influence

AAH-fect (noun): the facial expression or body language that displays an emotion

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Invalid. Minute is as well, but I can't tell if that was on purpose...

Oh, and these are heteronymns.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

BtL what's the other pronunciation of "Number"?
starlooker
Member # 7495

- posted      Profile for starlooker   Email starlooker         Edit/Delete Post 
Not just in New England. Also in the Midwest, Midsouth, and Texas.

Maybe not in California, though... [Smile]

*random: a professor of mine threatened not to let us graduate if we couldn't tell the difference between affect and effect.*

Posts: 99 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

When my number came up the doc gave me a shot to make my arm number.
tt&t
Member # 5600

Yeah, I know the different meanings of affect. As far as I can tell though, we pronounce them the same here. I do anyway... let's not let that affect how we view Kiwi intelligence though. [Wink]
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Canada stands with Kiwikiwiland on this one. I pronounce them both the same.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Ooooh, right.

Hm, I would never use that. I think I'd say "more numb". *goes off to dictionary*

Dove is another one.

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Mack on that one.

resume.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

Minute was on purpose.

I had to think a bit about the other "number". too. I don't think I've ever heard numb-er used before, heh.

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

How do you pronounce them? Like Ahffect and ehffect?

Heh. Good one, Beren.

[ March 11, 2005, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: Bob the Lawyer ]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite "trio" of words is:

1. desert (a dry place)
2. desert (as in "our just deserts) and
3. dessert (a confection)

1&2 are spelled the same but sound different.

2&3 are spelled different but sound the same.

How cool is that?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Abuse
tt&t
Member # 5600

Oh I just thought of one that I didn't already have: content.

And wow, there are some good ones coming out! [Smile]

Teshi
Member # 5024

Okay, this is a stretch but

youths (as in more than one young person: "the youths liked to hang around the 7-11 making trouble")
youths (as in more that one period of being young "many politicians had wild youths")

tt&t
Member # 5600

*I* want more than one youth (period of being young)! [Big Grin]
digging_holes
Member # 6237

Ugh. I don't.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
0. desert: abandon or run away from

[ March 11, 2005, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

As soon as I got to the doctor's office, I knew from her dour affect that the news was not good.

I try not to let his obnoxious behavior affect me in any way.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
There's always "tear".
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Resume doesn't really fall into this category, because it has to have the accent over the 'e' to take its other form. Not that I can think of any better examples that haven't been mentioned yet, but if I can't build myself up I can always tear someone else down. [Wink] [Razz]
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Resume doesn't really fall into this category, because it has to have the accent over the 'e' to take its other form.
I disagree. I prefer to write it résumé, just to show off that I know how to write it "correctly," but it is quite acceptable to write it without the accents. Accordine to m-w.com, while résumé is preferred, resumé and resume are both accepted variants as well.
digging_holes
Member # 6237

It's amusing to note that while résumé is a french word, a résumé is not called that in french.
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Speed is picking on me! [Razz]

bass (Thank Ryoko for this one: "Female Bass Players unite!")
digest
compact
present
intern (I think this is right, but then again, no coffee yet.)

*Three from my friend*
proceeds
exploit
wound

quote:
youths (as in more than one young person: "the youths liked to hang around the 7-11 making trouble")
youths (as in more that one period of being young "many politicians had wild youths")

Did anyone think of this?

quote:
Vinny: It is possible that the two utes...

Judge: ...Ah, the two what? Uh... uh, what was that word?

Vinny: Uh... what word?

Judge: Two what?

Vinny Gambini: What?

Judge: Uh... did you say "utes"?

Vinny: Yeah, two utes.

Judge: What is a ute?

Vinny: Oh, excuse me, Your Honor... [exaggerated] two YOUTHS.

[ March 12, 2005, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Yes! [Big Grin]
tt&t
Member # 5600

[ROFL] Beren

Also:
bow
row
sow

[Razz]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ic gave exactly the pronunciations of affect I had in mind. Thanks! [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Beren took mine! (bass) I was so disappointed because that's the only one I could come up with.

But lo and behold, miracle of miracles, I think of another without even trying a mere two minutes later: address. [Smile]

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Attribute, present, console, moderate, combine, convert, object, produce, sewer, record [Dont Know]
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.