FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » LotR Musical Premiering in Toronto

Author Topic: LotR Musical Premiering in Toronto
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Link (BBC)

Link (CBC)

Next March! They decided to bring it here! I can't believe it! [Big Grin] I'm very excited, as you can tell.

quote:
"We have not attempted to pull the novel towards the standard conventions of musical theatre, but rather to expand those conventions so that they will accommodate Tolkien's material."
quote:
"The production will be a hybrid of text, physical theatre, music and spectacle never previously seen on this scale," he said.
That sounds very very promising. much more promising than I expected [Smile] . And they are coming here.

[Big Grin] [Cool]

Edit: Yeah, Kat and I posted the same thing at practically the same time... But it's worth two threads, don't you think?

[ March 15, 2005, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Teshi, you beat my thread by about twenty seconds, I think. [Big Grin]

Anyone else thinking of Silmarillion: The Musical?

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
This is wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

And bad.

Wrong and bad.

*I need to make sure this important message is seen by all who confront this monstrosity.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
There is also a performance of the The Lord of the Rings Symphony by the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra this summer, for those interested.

quote:
These multi-media concerts will be the FIRST performances of this symphony in the Western New York area, and will feature the music and storyboard stills from the popular movie trilogy The Lord of the Rings, as well as incorporate illustrations from the centenary edition of J.R.R. Tolkien’s books. These visuals will be projected above the orchestra.

Featured in these concerts will be composer Howard Shore’s Academy Award-winning scores from the Lord of the Rings trilogy in a grand six-movement journey that takes us from the tranquility of the Shire, to the horrors of Mordor and explosive Mount Doom. The score utilizes more than fifty “leitmotifs” – musical ideas connected with specific characters and ideas in the story – from the epic films The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

But Dagonee, it sounds fairly promising! It sounds like it could be alright!

And The Tick, I strongly encourage people to go see the Symphony. I saw it last summer and it was an amazing thing to see [Smile] .

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

My friend just called and she's got a fifteen minute DVD (exclusive) about production and also some tips about ticket information! I know there are skeptics out there, but this is very exciting!

*bounce*

Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody remember the old Johan de Meij 'Lord of the Rings' symphony? It was a good one too. I got to play the Gandalf movement in a hugely talented symphonic band at music camp once - it was amazing.
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

My high school concert band was going to play the Hobbit section, but we never actually performed it. However, I loved the music so much I asked my director for a copy of his CD, so I own it!

Edit: I had a piccolo solo and I was sad that I never got to play it!

In fact, I think I'll listen to it right now. [Smile]

[ March 22, 2005, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
So, WenchCon 2006 in Toronto, anyone?
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

[Evil Laugh]
definitelynotvichysoisse
Member # 7559

- posted      Profile for definitelynotvichysoisse   Email definitelynotvichysoisse         Edit/Delete Post 
The Lord of the Rings Symphony is also playing in Kitchener Waterloo in June.
Posts: 55 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Another piccolo player - excellent! I played the sax more often, but I always did like the piccolo.

And it's coming to KW, you say?? Hmm. Interesting. Now, am I LOTR geek enough to go? (Who am I kidding? Heck, yeah.) I do really like some of that music. Is it at Centre in the Square? I'll have to check this out.

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.