FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Silmarillion: The Musical comes to life...oh my...

Author Topic: The Silmarillion: The Musical comes to life...oh my...
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/kera/arts.artsmain?action=viewArticle&sid=7&id=750113
quote:
"We are going to have to break new ground. It is a hybrid of text, music, spectacle and physical theater," he added.

Legolas is still the prettiest.

Added: Wow - talk about minds thinking alike. This is the Lord of the Rings musical.

[ March 15, 2005, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
This is wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

And bad.

Wrong and bad.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it could be amazingly cool and very right.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst]
Oh, god no...
They'll kill all the coolness!
[Cry]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

It wouldn't be the same, how could it? Why should it? I think it would be really neat.

Plus, unless you live in New York or Chicago, you probably wouldn;t even be able to go and be horrified for at least a couple of years.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
can hobbits sing AND dance??
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my Valar... they've gotten an BOLLYWOOD dude to write the music!!! [Angst] [Angst]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
If you'll go to my thread on the same subject, or read more articles, you'll discover that they are being traditionally Middle Earthish, Telp.

I don't think it's as bad as everyone thinks.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so not touching the jokes on this one.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as they don't have shlomo and janeX chanting in the background.....

That would be WAY too weird for me.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Supreme wierdness guys. I almost don't know what to say
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WntrMute
Member # 7556

- posted      Profile for WntrMute           Edit/Delete Post 
There can be no Silmarillion musical for some time yet. There was a ballet company that wanted to choreograph the story of Beren and Luthien, but the Tolkien Estate turned them down.

Which is ironic, if you've read the Letters of JRR Tolkien.
quote:
Do not laugh! But once upon a time (my crest has long since fallen) I had a mind to make a body of more or less connected legend, ranging from the large and cosmogonic, to the level of romantic fairy-story-the larger founded on the lesser in contact with the earth, the lesser drawing splendour from the vast backcloths – which I could dedicate simply to: to England; to my country. It should possess the tone and quality that I desired, somewhat cool and clear, be redolent of our 'air' (the clime and soil of the North West, meaning Britain and the hither parts of Europe: not Italy or the Aegean, still less the East), and, while possessing (if I could achieve it) the fair elusive beauty that some call Celtic (though it is rarely found in genuine ancient Celtic things), it should be 'high', purged of the gross, and fit for the more adult mind of a land long now steeped in poetry. I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and drama. Absurd.

Maybe not as absurd as he may have thought.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I still don't think it as a horrible thought as everyone else seems to. I mean, there was the Wenchcon version, why not Broadway?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.